Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In Time Out Alot
RYM Workshops 06:20 AM 07-19-2012
I realized that my son has been going into "time out" alot at his summer camp and I'm working with the provider to help improve the situation (for both them and him.) I'm curious- what do other providers do to help get behavior under control with hyperactive or behaviorally challenged children?
SilverSabre25 07:05 AM 07-19-2012
I watch for triggers to the misbehavior, allow for more movement and activity, require less sitting still and paying attention, and give the child extra help to remember to keep his body still (for those times when it's absolutely required that he sit).

I would hazard a guess that a camp that's using time out on a regular basis for a young child has way to much SIT AND LISTEN time or DO EXACTLY AS I SAY time and not enough time for your son to run and play and move his body freely. I have a suspicion that it's really not a good fit for your son. Sorry you're going through this. Boys in particular, and all children really, need a lot more freedom than some people realize
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by RYM Workshops:
I realized that my son has been going into "time out" alot at his summer camp and I'm working with the provider to help improve the situation (for both them and him.) I'm curious- what do other providers do to help get behavior under control with hyperactive or behaviorally challenged children?
Are you asking for your son or in reference to your workshops?

I am curious as I assume that since you sponsor or put on workshops for providers who struggle with ADD behaviors and have a Master's degree in psychology and have worked in the field for over a decade, you would know more than anyone how to get a handle on this.

Or are you simply curious as to what other providers do?

I am sorry if that sounded rude as I don't mean it that way, I am simply wondering about the motive?
RYM Workshops 07:17 AM 07-20-2012
Thank you SilverSabre25. I'm sure your daycare is awesome and too bad you're not in VA It seems like you have been in the business for a long time and that you truly love what you do! That's fabulous. Blackcat31- I'm not easily offended. My intention here is to interact with others just like everyone else And yes, I do have experience in this field- but I ALSO have a son who struggles and that is why ultimately I'm in the field. I like to know what daycares are doing to help kids who struggle. Blessings!
Blackcat31 03:27 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by RYM Workshops:
Thank you SilverSabre25. I'm sure your daycare is awesome and too bad you're not in VA It seems like you have been in the business for a long time and that you truly love what you do! That's fabulous. Blackcat31- I'm not easily offended. My intention here is to interact with others just like everyone else And yes, I do have experience in this field- but I ALSO have a son who struggles and that is why ultimately I'm in the field. I like to know what daycares are doing to help kids who struggle. Blessings!
Apologies if I did offend you as that was NOT my intention at all. I was just wondering about the motive. (I tend to be somewhat guarded about the hidden aspects in regards to people and situations ) and the fact that we have a lot of posters who are trying to "sell" something and not necessarily engage in any type of relationships with members....kwim?

I completely understand that just because you may be experienced in a specific field doesn't always guarantee that we know all the right answers or the different methods and perspectives of doing things. Plus, being the mom always seems to distort our feelings and thoughts when it comes to our own children.

Anyways....welcome to the forum!

I hope you can learn and share a ton as anyone working in the field of early childhood will undoubtly find themselves having some sort of exposure or experience with ADD/ADHD in some shape or form. fwiw- my own son was mis-diagnosed with ADD in early elementary school and later diagnosed as having Aspergers.
itlw8 07:04 PM 07-20-2012
I have to say multiple time out is not helping the child. It is because the leader of the group does not want to deal with it, and likely has no skills to do so. Often camps have very young group leaders.

I found with my son we taught him ways to calm down but also passed the information along to scout leaders who would remind him to calm down and get him back on track. got to say he is lucky as an adult to have bosses that do the same thing.
countrymom 07:10 PM 07-20-2012
what exactly is he doing that he is spending so much time in time out, and how old is he. Then we can go from there. Also is he telling you that he's spending alot of time in time out or is it the provider.
daycarediva 04:45 PM 07-21-2012
I have a 6 year old DCB with ADHD. He was kicked out of his previous center daycare. For me it was about getting to know him, know his triggers and limits and help him to understand the rules. I don't use time out like most people. It isn't a punishment, it is a separation when he/she is no longer in control of their behavior. When dcb first started I didn't know that he hated a certain food. He had a meltdown. I put him off to the side for a 'quick break'. When he calmed down enough to hear me I explained that there were other snack options and that he would never be forced to eat/drink/participate in my home although I would love it if he tried new foods and activities. He walked over and tried peanut butter & celery logs and LOVED THEM. He is now one of my better behaved children and his mother raves constantly about how much he loves it at my home.

I truly believe that there is a perfect spot for every kid, where he/she will feel happy, cared for, safe and comfortable to be themselves. Just keep looking!
Tags:disipline, time out
Reply Up