Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do Allergies Arise?
KiddieCahoots 12:52 PM 05-27-2014
Have a dcb, half a yr old that I think has a head cold that has been going around. Mom is convinced it's allergies. I've never heard of a baby with allergies this young, have you?
My daughter has severe allergies, but she did the typical and started showing symptoms at age 3yrs.
Has anybody heard differently from doctor's, that babies can show symptoms to allergies earlier than 2-3yrs of age?
sahm1225 01:16 PM 05-27-2014
My ds (6 now) started showing symptoms around 8 months. He would get an instant (clear) runny nose & watery eyes the second we went outside. We had him tested at about 2 years old and tested positive for some seasonal Allergies. We would give him prescription allergy medicine daily.

He has since outgrown all of his allergies.

For my ds it was clear that something bugged him when he was outdoors and it was a clear runny nose.

I'm guessing your baby has a cold though since MOST of my
Dck have a head cold that is going around too.
KiddieCahoots 01:49 PM 05-27-2014
Thanks sahm!
I think your right. dcb has started a low grade temp, and nasal mucus has started the change over to a slight yellowish, and just acting miserable.
I hate when parents insist it's something other than what it really is, and make me start questioning myself on what I'm seeing....argh!
nannyde 01:57 PM 05-27-2014
The percentage of children who have environmental allergies is quite low. Until the child is diagnosed you have to assume it is an illness. Parents are not able to tell if a child has allergies. If they were we wouldn't need testing. The vast majority of time a parent believes the kid has allergies they are wrong but by the time you know that everybody has been exposed.

Tell mom you need a physician note saying exactly what the child is allergic to. You can't have a child in care with allergies and not know what they are allergic to.
Chellieleanne 02:03 PM 05-27-2014
We have a cold going around here, cough and stuffy/runny nose. Yuck. My kids act fine even when sick but fever is definitely not a sign of allergies to me.

As for allergies my oldest was diagnosed with environmental allergies when he was young. It started around 4 months he had a cough that wouldn't go away but nothing else. At 7months old finally found a doctor that gave us an answer and even showed me step by step how it all worked and what was happening(nasal passages were too small for him to easily breath through and inflamed ). And a month later he outgrew it. Go figure. Now my kids, my husband and myself all have some sort of allergies when the wind picks up and all the pollen blows around. We moved here a little over a year ago and had no allergy issues until we moved haha. Just runny/stuffy noses usually and lots of sneezing though so nothing really serious.
KiddieCahoots 02:05 PM 05-27-2014
Thank you nannyde, I love your logic!
Tags:allergies
Reply Up