Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother Goose Time Changes
Unregistered 06:33 AM 07-13-2016
Who here is using MGT? The format has changed, and I am finding it is more difficult for my kids to use. My kids are all 4 and younger, though.

They have a program for younger kids, but I never cared for it.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 07-13-2016
OP Here. I just got off the phone with them. This summer has been more of a "summer camp" theme, and personally, I find this month almost unusable. Last month was great, though. September they are switching to almost 100% open ended art. So, instead of helping kids create an apple tree, you provide them with a range of items that have nothing to do with apple trees and tell them to "go forth and create".

I'm not an art teacher, and while open ended art is important, this is a bit too loosey goosey for me. My dcf's barely appreciate art as it is. I can only imagine a tree that looks like a ...whatever the dcks decide to make that day.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP Here. I just got off the phone with them. This summer has been more of a "summer camp" theme, and personally, I find this month almost unusable. Last month was great, though. September they are switching to almost 100% open ended art. So, instead of helping kids create an apple tree, you provide them with a range of items that have nothing to do with apple trees and tell them to "go forth and create".

I'm not an art teacher, and while open ended art is important, this is a bit too loosey goosey for me. My dcf's barely appreciate art as it is. I can only imagine a tree that looks like a ...whatever the dcks decide to make that day.
They are trying to be more aligned with QRIS or star ratings and open ended art IS what art should be.

Cookie cutter crafts are not at all developmentally appropriate so I am going to venture to say that the entire program (MGT) is going to continue changing until it's more in line with what ECE know to be developmentally appropriate.
LittleScholars 07:52 AM 07-13-2016

Super interesting. I'm so glad you posted this. I just started using the program a few months ago, but I took this month off because I have so few kids and it is SO nice outside. I couldn't see us using the program much.

I'm super interested in the art change. The thing I love most about MGT is that you open the bag and you are set for materials for the day, particularly with the art. I'm happy to see that change as long as the ease of use continues! I do end up doing much of the cookie cutter stuff myself, which I don't love.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They are trying to be more aligned with QRIS or star ratings and open ended art IS what art should be.

Cookie cutter crafts are not at all developmentally appropriate so I am going to venture to say that the entire program (MGT) is going to continue changing until it's more in line with what ECE know to be .
OP Here. Yeah, I should have explained myself better. I do enough of that with them myself. I don't need complicated open ended art projects. The main reason I bought the curriculum was to checkmark a QRIS box because it's an acceptable curriculum and the art was easy and parent pleasing.

But I have no desire to spend $140 a month for open ended art projects I already do here.

I know you are QRIS certified. Since they require a curriculum, what do you use? You are verybpro play, but you must appease them somehow.
Unregistered 08:16 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Super interesting. I'm so glad you posted this. I just started using the program a few months ago, but I took this month off because I have so few kids and it is SO nice outside. I couldn't see us using the program much.

I'm super interested in the art change. The thing I love most about MGT is that you open the bag and you are set for materials for the day, particularly with the art. I'm happy to see that change as long as the ease of use continues! I do end up doing much of the cookie cutter stuff myself, which I don't love.
I think the crafts will be much more "gather sticks and things around the home" and less all stuff provided. Which was why I bought it. No hassle.

I don't love cookie cutter, but the parents do. They throw open ended art away.

Interestingly, I was written up by QRIS last time for not directing a craft enough and providing a sample.
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 07-13-2016
OP Here. Yeah, I should have explained myself better. I do enough of that with them myself. I don't need complicated open ended art projects. The main reason I bought the curriculum was to checkmark a QRIS box because it's an acceptable curriculum and the art was easy and parent pleasing.

But I have no desire to spend $140 a month for open ended art projects I already do here.

I know you are QRIS certified. Since they require a curriculum, what do you use? You are verybpro play, but you must appease them somehow.
I am play based and don't use a pre-written or store bought curriculum (although both MGT and Funshine are now approved curricula for my state).

I write my own lesson plans and have had no issues with them being compliant for QRIS standards. As long as I am following ECIP's it's perfectly acceptable.

I am in MN and I know each state has different requirements for curriculum. What state are you in?
Unregistered 10:07 AM 07-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am play based and don't use a pre-written or store bought curriculum (although both MGT and Funshine are now approved curricula for my state).

I write my own lesson plans and have had no issues with them being compliant for QRIS standards. As long as I am following ECIP's it's perfectly acceptable.

I am in MN and I know each state has different requirements for curriculum. What state are you in?
MI. They require an approved curriculum or it's a big ding. Big enough to stop you from getting 5 stars (we are a 5 star rating system). They have a list you need to either choose from, or prove you meet all of the state standards.

When I taught, the number one thing I hated...lesson plans!!!

On a side note, I'd like to quit QRIS, but in my area, I feel I get higher quality clients because of my rating.
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 07-13-2016
MI. They require an approved curriculum or it's a big ding. Big enough to stop you from getting 5 stars (we are a 5 star rating system). They have a list you need to either choose from, or prove you meet all of the state standards.

When I taught, the number one thing I hated...lesson plans!!!

On a side note, I'd like to quit QRIS, but in my area, I feel I get higher quality clients because of my rating.
Our rating system is only 4 stars max. I am a 4 star for the second time. We re-rate every two years.

They also provide a curriculum list or we have to prove we are meeting standards which is what I did.

I am NOT a fan of the QRIS system at all but I recognize that there are certain ways to stay relevant/important in this business and participation with QRIS definitely nets me the higher end clients or at least the clients that understand the requirements and standards we need to meet. When my QRIS coach called me and asked if I wanted to re-rate my reply was "Personally I do NOT want to as it goes against most everything I believe childhood should entail but professionally I know that I have to."

So, I signed on for another 2 years and just received my 4 star rating. At least I an breathe easy for the next 18 months.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 07-13-2016
Here is the list of approved curricula for MN
http://parentaware.org/content/uploa...-JULY-2016.pdf
Tags:mother goose time
Reply Up