Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default Tax Write Off List, Can't Find

so I know over time we all made a list of things that we can write off on our taxes along with a nice list of time space % list of activities and etc.

I have searched for it and can't find it.

can someone help me find this list?


Thanks in advance......
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,489
Default

I seem to remember a member that was putting together all of the time/space postings from Tom Copeland last year. I would like to find it also. Here are the threads from the Time Space Percentage tag: http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?ta...ace+percentage

I think it was legomom that was putting that list together.

Last edited by Michael; 12-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I seem to remember a member that was putting together all of the time/space postings from Tom Copeland last year. I would like to find it also. Here are the threads from the Time Space Percentage tag: http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?ta...ace+percentage

I think it was legomom that was putting that list together.
the second link does not work

Last edited by Michael; 12-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
the second link does not work
That is because it was a search. Go to legomom's profile and click on statistics/All Threads and see if it pulls it up. http://daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=32368
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That is because it was a search. Go to legomom's profile and click on statistics/All Threads and see if it pulls it up. http://daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=32368
hahahh i knew that....lol NOT

thanks so much for your help on this.....trying to rack my brain and that hurts...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I suck at this I cant find anything...

ok quick question

can we claim grocery shopping or time spent shopping for daycare ?? I forget.

MY CPA called me and said no, and I recall it being yes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,021
Default

Is this the list you are looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomom922 View Post
I thought it would be helpful if we all could add something to the "worked when no kids are here" list, because we dont always think of everything that someone else may.

1. Shoveling deck, porch, driveway
2. Salting deck porch driveway
3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees.
4. Cleaning house,
5.Unloading groceries
6. Making out a grocery list
7.Laundry, washing, drying, folding, putting away
8. Loading dishwasher, emptying dishwasher, putting stuff away
9. Cooking, preparing meals
10.Online research, training, reading daycare.com LOL
11. Painting, repairing, remodeling
12. Cleaning out & organizing garage
13. Cleaning toys, rotating toys, putting away & organizing toys
14. Cleaning out gutters
15.Duct cleaning
16.Painting a deck
17.Cleaning pool, adding chemicals
18.Washing & vaccuming car?????
19.Bookwork, MMK, working on taxes
20.Defrosting freezer, cleaning out refrigerator, cleaning oven
21. Cleaning windows
22. Baby/Child proofing
23. Sealing driveway, sweeping driveway


http://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27284
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Is this the list you are looking for?





http://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27284
how the heck did you find that??????
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

yes this would be the one....you rock, but you already knew that......lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,489
Default

OK, since I can't link all of these tags, you can use the tag search and there a mutilple threads for all of these:

TAG SEARCH

deductions
deduction - software
standard deduction
deduction limit
deduction - toys
deduction - lawyer
deduction
deduction - car
deduction - utilities
deduction - food
deduction - phone bill
deduction - landscape
deduction - snow shoveling
deduction - furniture
deduction - insurance
deduction - stroller
deduction - household items
deduction - laundry
deduction limits
deduction - mortgage
deduction - limits
deduction - books
deduction - home improvement
deduction - trips
deduction - birthday party
deduction - storage unit
deduction - gym
deduction - milage
deduction - how much
deduction - tax preparation
deduction - carpet
deduction - coffee
deduction - humidifier
deduction - air conditioning
deduction - heating
deduction - rent
deduction - cell phone
deduction - medical
deduction - charity
deduction - maintenance
deduction - repairs
deduction - party
deduction - parents night out
deduction - garage
deduction - parents
deduction - pest control
deduction - meals
deduction - internet
canada - tax deductions
deduction - animals
deduction - pool
deduction - advertising
deduction - start up
deduction - outings
deduction - unlicensed
deduction - supplies
ddeduction - pre-daycare
deduction - trip
deduction - security
deduction - research
deduction - provider children
deduction - time
deduction - preschool program
deduction - appliances
deduction - property tax
deduction - bonuses
deduction - vacuum
deduction - club memberships
deduction - education
deduction - computer
deduction - groceries
deduction - cleaning
food deductions
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
how the heck did you find that??????
it's a gift. Seriously I have no idea how I can find things, I just do. That is why my first career choice was a research attorney.

I LOVE looking for things and somehow, it comes easy to me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

lol I love you guys......
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
OK, since I can't link all of these tags, you can use the tag search and there a mutilple threads for all of these:

TAG SEARCH
...or you can just go to the Tax section, scroll rapidly down the threads and find one that says "Let's make a list" and being that it was a thread legomom started, it was a given.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
it's a gift. Seriously I have no idea how I can find things, I just do. That is why my first career choice was a research attorney.

I LOVE looking for things and somehow, it comes easy to me.
gosh girl I wish I half just have of your patience to find things.....I am just not good at finding things via the net or anything to do with computers....lol

Just don't play hide and seek with me......I rock at that..............lol yes I said that
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I suck at this I cant find anything...

ok quick question

can we claim grocery shopping or time spent shopping for daycare ?? I forget.

MY CPA called me and said no, and I recall it being yes
No. Only time spend doing things for your daycare in your home count towards figuring out your time/space %. But you can claim your mileage if the main purpose of the trip was for daycare and you can keep receipts and claim things you buy as 100% if the are only for your business (not shared with your family) and then apply your time/space % to the items that are shared with DC and your family.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
...or you can just go to the Tax section, scroll rapidly down the threads and find one that says "Let's make a list" and being that it was a thread legomom started, it was a given.
Yes, but I know we are going to get a lot of deduction questions this year. The Tag suggestions dropdown only shows 10 similar words and there are over 70 for the word "deduction". I thought I would post them all to save everyone time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,018
Default Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I suck at this I cant find anything...

ok quick question

can we claim grocery shopping or time spent shopping for daycare ?? I forget.

MY CPA called me and said no, and I recall it being yes
No. You can only count time you spend in your home on business activities.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,018
Default Deductions

I've identified over 1,000 allowable business deductions for family child care providers in my book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...h-edition.html
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
I've identified over 1,000 allowable business deductions for family child care providers in my book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...h-edition.html
just purchased the book thanks so much tom
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Gellybean6903's Avatar
Gellybean6903 Gellybean6903 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9
Default

BlackCat posted a big ole list up there of work when no kids at the house ...and the third one made me wonder. It says.. "3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees."

We actually pay someone to mow, trim, blow, etc. Can we claim this as a deduction?? If so, what type of deduction is that??
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,018
Default Gardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellybean6903 View Post
BlackCat posted a big ole list up there of work when no kids at the house ...and the third one made me wonder. It says.. "3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees."

We actually pay someone to mow, trim, blow, etc. Can we claim this as a deduction?? If so, what type of deduction is that??
You can deduct the time-space % amount of the cost of hiring someone to do this work for you. Claim it as house repairs on Form 8829.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
KnoxMom's Avatar
KnoxMom KnoxMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
You can deduct the time-space % amount of the cost of hiring someone to do this work for you. Claim it as house repairs on Form 8829.
What if you lease your home? Which of these deductions will apply?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,018
Default Lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxMom View Post
What if you lease your home? Which of these deductions will apply?
You can deduct the time-space % of your lease and any other house expenses you pay for: utilities, renter's insurance, repairs, etc.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,669
Default

I know this is an old thread but things I'm referencing go with it, so hopefully Tom sees this. I see that you can claim t/s% on things such as cutting grass, different landscaping things like planting, weeding etc. We can claim the time for these or does it have to be specifically 100% daycare related to do it? I mean I will be cutting my grass regardless, so I wondered.

Also as far as receipts. I buy things from garage sales alot. How do I track that as far as a receipt? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:58 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,018
Default time and receipts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I know this is an old thread but things I'm referencing go with it, so hopefully Tom sees this. I see that you can claim t/s% on things such as cutting grass, different landscaping things like planting, weeding etc. We can claim the time for these or does it have to be specifically 100% daycare related to do it? I mean I will be cutting my grass regardless, so I wondered.

Also as far as receipts. I buy things from garage sales alot. How do I track that as far as a receipt? Thanks!
You can count the time you spend on activities for your business that you wouldn't be doing if you weren't in business. Since you would be mowing the lawn and weeding, etc even if you weren't in business, don't count this time, although you could count part of the cost. When buying items at a garage sale, write you own note about what you bought, what it cost and when and where you bought it. Then take a picture of it.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
You can count the time you spend on activities for your business that you wouldn't be doing if you weren't in business. Since you would be mowing the lawn and weeding, etc even if you weren't in business, don't count this time, although you could count part of the cost. When buying items at a garage sale, write you own note about what you bought, what it cost and when and where you bought it. Then take a picture of it.
Thank you. That's what I Figured, but thought better double check.

I do know that I would never salt my driveway and shovel it every day nearly in the winter, so can I claim that time?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-28-2020, 10:05 AM
buddie65's Avatar
buddie65 buddie65 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6
Default Professional development hours

In NY there are mandated professional development hours and topics for registered providers. If the rule is that you must be within your Daycare/ home to write off the extra hours.... what about on-line PD trainings where you are doing it within your daycare/ home after regular hours? This might be another one for the list of write offs ?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-28-2020, 02:29 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,018
Default hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddie65 View Post
In NY there are mandated professional development hours and topics for registered providers. If the rule is that you must be within your Daycare/ home to write off the extra hours.... what about on-line PD trainings where you are doing it within your daycare/ home after regular hours? This might be another one for the list of write offs ?
To count hours in the calculation of your time-space% you must be in your home when daycare children are not present. Hours spent away from your home, even if on activities exclusively for your business don't count. Doing online training for your business in your home does count.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 AM
buddie65's Avatar
buddie65 buddie65 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6
Default Add to list :}

Excellent ...one more for the list :}}
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Today, 05:56 AM
CherylCantrell's Avatar
CherylCantrell CherylCantrell is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: California
Posts: 1
Default

If you paid a daycare center, babysitter, summer camp, or other care provider to care for a qualifying child under age 13 or a disabled dependent of any age, you may qualify for a tax credit of up to 35 percent of qualifying expenses of $3,000 for one child or dependent, or up to $6,000 for two or more children or dependents.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deduction - landscape, deductions, deductions - list, time space percentage, tom copeland

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Can I Write Off as T/S% On This List? legomom922 Daycare and Taxes 3 02-28-2011 09:19 AM
Is This Reasonable? (Supply List) SilverSabre25 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 02-16-2011 12:27 PM
How To Find The Right Person To Prepare Taxes lvt77 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 01-27-2011 01:20 PM
Daycare Supply List Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 33 10-08-2010 10:23 AM
List of the top 10 Things I Say Over and Over Every Day sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 34 07-28-2010 07:52 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming