Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Almost 3 Year Old Doesn't Like Playing At Parks?!
Unregistered 09:54 AM 07-26-2018
I have a DCB who will be 3 this fall. He has been in my care since last October. He is an only child, is pretty quiet and very well behaved. There are at least two days a week during the summer that he is my only one in care. Most of my families are school district families and they either cut back to part time or don't come summers. With him being the only one quite often, I have been taking him various places to have a change of pace. I tried taking him to an indoor park one day and he refused to do anything. My daughter was with and tried helping by offering to go down slides with him, play with him, etc. and he would not try anything. Multiple times he asked me if it was time to go yet. This started within five minutes of arriving. He kept telling me he wanted to go back to my house or he would sit by me and tell me he just wanted to watch. From that point on I decided paying for him to be at a place like that wasn't worth it. I have since been taking him to various outdoor (free) parks to try and get him to play. He will not go down slides. He has said he wants to swing, but as soon as I get him seated, he starts saying he wants to get down. Anything I suggest trying he says no to doing. Usually after 10-15 minutes he is done walking around the park and wants to leave.
I have never had a child in care who refuses to do anything at parks. I have talked to mom about this and she said that he is like this with them too. What could be causing a child of this age to be so fearful, anxious, unwilling etc. to play at a park. He also with not play on my swing set. I have noticed too that when we are outside, he will not do anything (chalk, bubbles, sandbox etc.) unless I am participating as well. Inside activities and free play he has no problem doing.
Ariana 12:09 PM 07-26-2018
My best guess is lack of opportunity and helicopter parenting. I just signed in a new 4 yr old and she refuses to get dirty or wet. Would rather sit and watch than participate.

Today I took the bubbles out and she said “oh my god you have indoor bubbles”? I asked her what she meant and she said her mom told her bubbles were too dirty to be inside I mean bubbles are made of soap!
nannyde 12:10 PM 07-26-2018
I would just take a blanket with me to the park and have him lie down and rest in his own spot (not super close to you but close enough you can catch him if he decides to bolt) and just ignore him.

Same thing with outdoor play at home. Just give him his own resting place away from the activities and let him just watch or rest.

When he says he wants to go inside just tell him he doesn't decide that and quit asking. You will let him know when it's time to do something else or go somewhere else.

I wouldn't try to encourage him to join in. I wouldn't discuss it again with him. If he says he doesn't want to do xyz then have him go rest on a blanket and have the peace he is seeking.
Ariana 12:15 PM 07-26-2018
Another guess is possible SPD. He is afraid so parks and slides are not fun!
Ariana 12:17 PM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would just take a blanket with me to the park and have him lie down and rest in his own spot (not super close to you but close enough you can catch him if he decides to bolt) and just ignore him.

Same thing with outdoor play at home. Just give him his own resting place away from the activities and let him just watch or rest.

When he says he wants to go inside just tell him he doesn't decide that and quit asking. You will let him know when it's time to do something else or go somewhere else.

I wouldn't try to encourage him to join in. I wouldn't discuss it again with him. If he says he doesn't want to do xyz then have him go rest on a blanket and have the peace he is seeking.
This is what I did for a kid who was deathly afraid of bugs outside. His parents wouldn’t bring him anywhere because they were embarrassed by his reactions. So I ignored it and he eventually got better!
jenboo 12:30 PM 07-26-2018
My DS is almost 3 and doesn't care for parks. He loves to swing and slide but isn't much of a park kid. He asks to go and then asks to leave after a few minutes. He is super independent, had been going to parks since before he could walk and I'm definitely not a helicopter. I think some kids just have different likes and dislikes.
Cat Herder 12:41 PM 07-26-2018
I'd go with the blanket or a picnic table and toss him some legos and clay. Or a bug catcher and tweezers. Or a trail guide of local plants and animals You might be surprised what he comes up with.

Not everyone is "sporty".
happymom 01:06 PM 07-26-2018
Have you ever brought a ball for him?
happymom 01:18 PM 07-26-2018
Almost 3 year old's a really funny. My son turns 3 in October and he HATES swings. I can't even pick him up near a swing or he thinks I'm going to put him in it.

Well, one day out of the blue, he decides he wants to swing. Now he LOVES them and asks to go "higher, higher! faster, faster!"

He also hated the pool. Now he begs to go.

Odd little creatures. LOL
Josiegirl 03:52 PM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
Almost 3 year old's a really funny. My son turns 3 in October and he HATES swings. I can't even pick him up near a swing or he thinks I'm going to put him in it.

Well, one day out of the blue, he decides he wants to swing. Now he LOVES them and asks to go "higher, higher! faster, faster!"

He also hated the pool. Now he begs to go.

Odd little creatures. LOL
I agree about 3 yos. I had a 3 yo dcg who screamed during black fly season and whenever the sun shone. That was challenging. But 3 yos are changing every week, month. Next month it'll be something different he's going through.

Weird but I just had a flashback of being petrified of a slide at school when I was in 1st grade. I refused to go on it because it seemed so high. And I turned out ok. Welllll, semi ok.
Tags:interests, personality traits
Reply Up