Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>S/O The Things Kids Tell
Symphony 08:06 AM 04-11-2011
The tylenol before coming to daycare thread and how we can't always 100% trust what kids tell us got me thinking. Have you ever had children tell you things from home or tell their parents things from care that probably aren't totally accurate? I know I've had some good ones!

I had a girl tell her mom that the babies fall down the stairs here all the time. My upstairs is 100% family and no child has ever been up there!

I had a child tell mom that if they don't like their food at lunch, I make them eat cat food

I had a girl tell me that her daddy is gone so mommy's uncle is sleeping in mom's bed

Anyone else?
missnikki 08:18 AM 04-11-2011
I have school agers, so it is not funny when they do it. It's usually a dramatic rendition of a conversation that leaves out important stuff and makes them sound like victims of my wrath.
DBug 08:24 AM 04-11-2011
Just last week, 2yo dcb told his parents at pick-up time that I had taken him to my bed and slept with him there . And there were other parents present too ! Thing is, the kids aren't allowed in my bedroom at all. There are no pnp's or cribs or anything in there. Luckily his parents laughed it off ...
Evansmom 08:24 AM 04-11-2011
Just last week I had a girl tell her mom: "We didn't have lunch today, we just had a bowl of croutons!!" I busted out laughing so hard b/c I have no idea where that came from! I don't even have croutons in the house! And of course we had a normal hot lunch that (and every) day.

If you ask one of my two year olds what we had for lunch she invariably says chicken nuggets even if we didn't. Makes me wonder if her parents ever really think all I feed them everyday is chicken nuggets

Seriously though over the years I have heard kids say some untrue things that could get their caregivers into trouble.
tulip1969 09:02 AM 04-11-2011
When I was a pre-k teacher I had a three year old tell his parents I made him sit in the corner and hit him with wooden spoon I had an assistant in my room at the time and she stood by me and so did the school director. Well the kid was not in school the next few days and I was freaking out. Turns out the mom brought him in on the third day blushing and appologizing telling us that her son finally admitted he made it up! So scary!
Unregistered 09:32 AM 04-11-2011
Just today at lunch one of the daycare kids asked me
"where do you lock up M*** and N*** (my kids names) when they are bad?"
I asked what he meant and he said again "You said when they are bad you lock
them in a cave". WHAT?

I've NEVER had a conversation about locking up my kids, or any other kids
when they are bad!

Its a wonder I have any business if they tell their parents things like that!
VTMom 09:49 AM 04-11-2011
Just last week I had an almost 5 year old tell his mom that the other kids were playing and excluding him, and when he told me about it, I said "too bad, stop being a tattletale"

Mom asked me for my side of the story. I told her I didn't nor would ever say that to him. Then thinking for a second, I asked him "are you talking about when the kids were playing tag when you were in time out?" Yes, he says! Yup... a little different from the original story. Instead of apologizing to me, Mom asks him if he was fibbing or telling the truth. Ummm, didn't we already establish that? After avoiding her question for a couple minutes, he tells her he was fibbing. Her response is that there are consequences for fibbing. Yeah... I'm pretty sure there weren't any consequences.
Meyou 09:55 AM 04-11-2011
I had a 4 year old dcb tell his dad at pickup that he never has any fun at my house. No fun ever and he wants to stay home where he has fun. After both of us showing concern about the fun things he does he told us that fun is what he calls pop now.
TBird 10:02 AM 04-11-2011
Ooooooooh let's see...here's the latest....

One of my daycare kids fell at home and got some stitches on his forehead. A few ladies came the next week for my INPECTION and they asked him how he got the stitches. He looks at MY stairs and said he fell down the stairs. I quickly told them that he didn't fall HERE, plus he didn't fall down ANY stairs....he fell down BEFORE he got to his stairs at home!!!

Gotta love that kid perspective!!!
youretooloud 10:12 AM 04-11-2011
Funniest: "Daddy sits on the tailgate of Dennis's truck (neighbor) and they get really, really drunk... then Mommy has to put him to bed"

Saddest: "Daddy got a new guitar, and mommy kept hitting him with it, til it broke.... the police came and drove Daddy to a hotel".
jojosmommy 11:24 AM 04-11-2011
One child once told me they KNEW (insert excitement) what the tooth fairy looked like "just like my mom, ONLY NAKED!" HA, this was years ago but will never forget it. Mom was present at the time and red faced and all. We never spoke about it again but MAN THAT WAS FUNNY!
Lucy 11:32 AM 04-11-2011
I have heard stories that I know leave out a lot of detail. The one who would do it the most was my niece. Since she was family, I felt comfortable telling her mom the version I heard, and then she would fill in the REST of the story, and we'd have a laugh over it. With other kids, I never tell the parents what the kids told me - if it sounds like a story that would embarrass them. I can't remember specifics, but I've heard stuff that I can pretty much fill in the blanks and figure out what they're saying. I don't react to the kid, but I know inside that I've just heard juicy family gossip!! I do get told often that "mommy was soooo grossed out when daddy farted at dinner, and us kids were cracking up so much we couldn't eat." Things like that. I'm sure it goes the other way too, and the kids tell their parents twisted versions of things that happen here. Oh well.
Live and Learn 11:41 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
One child once told me they KNEW (insert excitement) what the tooth fairy looked like "just like my mom, ONLY NAKED!" HA, this was years ago but will never forget it. Mom was present at the time and red faced and all. We never spoke about it again but MAN THAT WAS FUNNY!

Kaddidle Care 03:56 PM 04-11-2011
Really enjoying this thread - the Tooth Fairy one tops it!
MamaBearCW 04:42 PM 04-11-2011
I have had points where I have told kids that was telling embaracing stories that "mom" or "dad" might not want everyone to know that story. I guess it is because my daughter would tell a very embaracing story on my husband from when he was a boy. She would tell it to complete strangers! I don't know if it is a good idea though, as I would hate for a kid to not tell about abuse because they are worried about thier parents feelings. Kids can be soooo funny though. Very honest!
jen2651 05:07 PM 04-11-2011
oh my gosh...when my dh and I were engaged, we were at Wa*mart with his kids...s age 4 and d age 2. The lady behind the checkout counter said to me, your kids are so good, you must be a really proud mom. s looked at her and said just as calmly as could be, "That's not my mom, that is just the lady that sleeps with my dad."

We had been together a year, and were engaged to be married...I certainly wasn't someone who was just sleeping with his dad! Can't begin to imagine where he heard that from....
momatheart 05:11 PM 04-11-2011
At our daycare center all the kids have spots where we lay out their cots to nap around the room. We have to be able to see the child fully from where we sit. Well one little boy happened to be talking so I moved his cot next to the big play Kitchen set. Which happened to be next to where I was sitting.

So the next day mom comes in and said ***x said you moved him to the kitchen to sleep. I said what? she said it again *** said you moved him to the kitchen to sleep and I pointed and said yeah right here. We both laughed. She said I didn't think you would put him in the "Kitchen".
ninosqueridos 06:46 PM 04-11-2011
Just after washing dcb3's hands after him using the potty, he tells me, "Daddy never washes my hands when I go potty. He says I don't have to."
Cat Herder 04:00 AM 04-12-2011
3yo: "She throwed me in the toilet for flushing." = DCG was wiggling and climbing around on the potty and her tushie landed squarely in the water. I helped her out, dried her off and yes, I flushed.

4yo: "She locked me in a cage and made brother cry all day." = DCB was on the toddler playground while little brother was on infant playground during morning recess. Both playgrounds (500 sq ft+) have fences to allow safe, age appropriate, outdoor play with peers. Little brother fussed a bit early on when I put away a toy that was causing some drama between the infants that morning.

3yo: "Mrs. T snitches on b*t***s (female dogs)" = Dr. Suess party, movie of the day "Sneetches" on the beaches.

There are many more, but those stick with me.....
morgan24 04:11 AM 04-12-2011
Yesterday was the first day back from spring break for all my kids. When the 3 year old dcg's mom got here, dcg bursts into tears and says to her mom...She said I was naughty on vacation. That was the first time she had said anything about her vacation all day.

One that always has stuck with me was a dcg who told me that her mom hit her dad on his sunburn and her daddy said You f***** B**** if you ever do that again I'll knock you on you a**. She started to tell me what mom said but I stopped her.
Unregistered 09:42 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
Just after washing dcb3's hands after him using the potty, he tells me, "Daddy never washes my hands when I go potty. He says I don't have to."
I have had kids say this before too! GROSS!
Missani 12:20 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have had kids say this before too! GROSS!
My DS4 says this all the time, but it's not true! He'll tell me that daddy doesn't make him flush and tell DH that mommy doesn't make him wash his hands, etc. I'm sure that he's told others, too. So gross, but I PROMISE, we do make him flush AND wash his hands...every time!
Tags:fibber, making stuff up, truth
Reply Up