Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Discrimination?
Imagination's Creations 12:13 PM 03-04-2014
I've been a child care provider since 2007. I live in a college town and most, but not all, experiences I have had with college students have been bad ones where it ended in terming. I usually dont take college students, because they're not always full time, tend to not follow policies (in my experience) and are rarely here for long. Im currently in the process of expanding to a group home and Im wondering if it's considered discrimination to not even interview students? I feel like it's my choice on whether to take someone or not, but can I get in trouble for not even interviewing them? Life has been so much easier since not having college students' kids in my care. Would you interview them anyways and pull the "I have a few more interviews, Ill let you know what I decide by X date" card? I feel like it's just a waste of time. Am I wrong for doing this? What would you do?
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 03-04-2014
As long as you are private pay I doubt there would be any issue.

Subsidy has it's own rules, of course.
nannyde 12:16 PM 03-04-2014
College students aren't a protected class! As you wish
Starburst 05:16 PM 03-04-2014
It might be a problem if they tend to be a particular age (early 20's) and could probably say that it's age discrimination (though I do know that older people go to college too).

But if the college has a daycare center you might want to tell them to check there first (my college only accepts student's children since the budget/preschool cuts).

Also remember that some college students do work full time (every student is different) and they won't always be college students and that after they graduate they will most likely find a job and need full time child care and if they are young then they, most likely, may have more children in the future and if they liked your program could consider you in the future (can always say that you don't have room). IMHO, it's not best to burn any bridges when it comes to business.

Then again, I might be bias because I am a college student.
Imagination's Creations 05:27 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
It might be a problem if they tend to be a particular age (early 20's) and could probably say that it's age discrimination.

But if the college has a daycare center you might want to tell them to check there first (my college only accepts student's children since the budget/preschool cuts).

Also remember that some college students do work full time (every student is different) and they won't always be college students and that after they graduate they will most likely find a job and need full time child care and if they are young then they, most likely, may have more children in the future and if they liked your program could consider you in the future (can always say that you don't have room). IMHO, it's not best to burn any bridges when it comes to business.

Then again, I might be bias because I am a college student.
I am also only 25, so Im around the same age as most of the college students. I started my daycare shortly after graduating high school. I currently have one daycare child whose mom is a student (she was referred to me by a friend) and she has been amazing so far, and plans to continue to bring her even after she graduates and finds employment. So, with that being said, I totally understand where you are coming from in that aspect. Another mother I had that was a student was also a really great client and her daughter was here until she graduated and moved back home out of town. On the other hand, all the others I have had, have been complete nightmares! Im usually pretty good at "feeling out" clients over the phone when they call, and if they seem like they will be a pain based on their attitude with me or already questioning my policies without even meeting with me, I usually just tell them Im currently full or only taking full time clients. Ive also noticed that most of the people Im not even willing to interview complain about my rate without even knowing what I offer. I feel bad not giving them a chance but I would feel even worse if I enrolled them and an awesome potential client came along. Maybe Im just picky!
bloominggenius 10:16 PM 03-04-2014
The key to all new parents is training:
College students are trainable but you have to enforce all policies from day one and be very firm.
Tell them up front that this is a business arrangement.
Try not to mother them. Maybe you are enabling them a little by being the mother figure wanting to help the young mom, and then they are exploiting this fact?
So keep it business, hold your ground and get paid up front. Enforce late pick-up fees and late payment fees from day one.
Also, charge everyone a deposit, put it into a savings, and then when they take a powder you have 2 week's income while you interview. The deposit up front will weed out the irresponsible ones because they won't have it.
Imagination's Creations 05:55 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by bloominggenius:
The key to all new parents is training:
College students are trainable but you have to enforce all policies from day one and be very firm.
Tell them up front that this is a business arrangement.
Try not to mother them. Maybe you are enabling them a little by being the mother figure wanting to help the young mom, and then they are exploiting this fact?
So keep it business, hold your ground and get paid up front. Enforce late pick-up fees and late payment fees from day one.
Also, charge everyone a deposit, put it into a savings, and then when they take a powder you have 2 week's income while you interview. The deposit up front will weed out the irresponsible ones because they won't have it.
I never thought of a two week deposit, but I do charge a deposit (non refundable) to hold a spot. Thats a good idea! Usually the ones wanting to hold a spot are the college students. I rarely have openings and when I do get them, I fill them quickly. Not all good parents will have a deposit though.
Blackcat31 09:05 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by Imagination's Creations:
I never thought of a two week deposit, but I do charge a deposit (non refundable) to hold a spot. Thats a good idea! Usually the ones wanting to hold a spot are the college students. I rarely have openings and when I do get them, I fill them quickly. Not all good parents will have a deposit though.
I live near a college and get LOTS of college student parents too.

I do not require a deposit but I do require payment up front. The first time they don't pay, they are turned away at the door if they don't have payment AND the late fee.

I rarely have repeat behaviors simply because I never waive or bend my policies.

I don't think the issues you are having are limited to college students but more about what you will and won't allow in your business or how you have your policies written.... kwim?
Imagination's Creations 09:16 AM 03-05-2014
Oh, I have definitely gotten better at laying down the law, so that wouldnt be a problem now. When I first started, yes, probably let WAY too much slide, but Ive learned my lesson. Ive had a few just disappear though after not paying and honestly, my time is worth more to me than trying to go after them for a subsidy co pay (all my problems have been with students on the subsidy), so I just let them go. I think I might start requiring the last weeks payment from the get go as a deposit and just tell them its non refundable...or just not take them unless its word of mouth like Ive been doing?
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 03-05-2014
Oh, I have definitely gotten better at laying down the law, so that wouldnt be a problem now. When I first started, yes, probably let WAY too much slide, but Ive learned my lesson. Ive had a few just disappear though after not paying and honestly, my time is worth more to me than trying to go after them for a subsidy co pay (all my problems have been with students on the subsidy), so I just let them go. I think I might start requiring the last weeks payment from the get go as a deposit and just tell them its non refundable...or just not take them unless its word of mouth like Ive been doing?
I would definitely require a deposit if that has been the issue.

Here most college students get grants for their child care as part of their financial aide so when the parent gets that grant, it is written out to BOTH the parent and the provider. The parent signs the entire grant over to me (Some are upwards of $2800) and I credit that amount to their accounts.

I put the money into an account and withdraw the weekly tuition.

Once they run out of money, they either start paying upfront on their own or they leave.

Here, we are also allowed to report them to the county/state and if they don't pay their final two weeks of care, they will get cut off of ALL services until they pay.
Imagination's Creations 10:58 AM 03-05-2014
I wonder if I can report in my state as well? There needs to be some sort of penalty for stiffing providers and to warn other providers! Im going to look into that!
Heidi 12:55 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
College students aren't a protected class! As you wish

Unregistered 08:28 PM 04-08-2014
... children of preschool directors. I seem to draw them like a magnet! But I find that they stand around in my back yard chatting up parents to have them come to their preschool. I don't find my nice families to have someone else siphon them off at age 3.
When I do the initial phone interview, one of my first questions is where each parent works. It's not hard to find a way to say (after finding mom is a preschool director) that there isn't an opening until at least ... a year and a half out. Or the hours don't work for you. Or you don't have all of the days that they require.
You just have to remember to question them before they question you
DaisyMamma 05:23 PM 04-11-2014
I allow parents to finance their deposits. In other words they can break it up into 2-4 payments.
Tags:choosing from daycare families
Reply Up