Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bathing Suits/Swimming Trunks
Unregistered 09:33 AM 04-16-2012
Boys swim suits are basic - shorts - and I haven't seen much variance in what parents have brought me for boys.

I was curious how you all feel about 2 piece swim suit for a little girl. A lot of people say they like them because they are easier when child needs to use the potty, but in my opinion it's just as easy to pull down a 1 piece.

Well anyway DCG came today with 2 piece swimsuit which in my opinion was a bit inappropriate. My DD is 3 and has and will always wear a 1 piece. I believe in teaching little girls modesty and not teaching them to show off their bodies. Am I alone in this? Perhaps too old fashioned?

How do you all feel about it and if you feel as I do, would you provide swim suits for the DCKs?
Lianne 09:54 AM 04-16-2012
I don't put limitations on swimsuits but if a child had one that was inappropriate, I'd send it home and tell the parent it doesn't fit properly. I insist my kids wear t-shirts and sandals in the water so most of my clients just send a cheap/old t-shirt and pair of elastic waist shorts. Sometimes the 4-5yr old girls want a swimsuit on as well and that's fine.
SunshineMama 10:05 AM 04-16-2012
I don't put my daughters in 2 piece suits, as I feel the same way that you do, however I wouldn't care what the other parents brought for their children, as long as it didnt affect our play in any way. Maybe throw a t shirt over??
Sunshine44 10:30 AM 04-16-2012
I think two pc suits are cute and I don't think it is right for you to tell a parent not to send a two pc suit. Some kinds are really long in the torso and one pc suits do not fit, they go up the butt or pull down the front (I have experienced it) and a bigger size doesn't stay on right. I doubt the kids will care/notice if they are outside playing in the sprinkler so I wouldn't worry about it honestly.
Meeko 10:35 AM 04-16-2012
My daughters are 15 and 17. They have never worn anything but a one piece. Modesty is part of our religious beliefs.

Most of the kids come in shorts and t-shirts anyway, but I have no rule on whether they wear a one or two piece...that's up to the parents.
Soupyszoo 11:08 AM 04-16-2012
I think they are making a lot of little girl clothes too revealing. They're babies for crying out loud! Let them be little girls as long as possible. I don't like two piece bathing suits for anyone under.. Say.. 15!

We went dress shopping this weekend for a wedding. Our 8 yo tried on some cute dresses but more often than not they were low cut or too short or too tight... It's just weird!

That being said what dcp choose for their kids is their choice. I don't think I would say anything unless it was an "issue" like a "wardrobe malfunction"
Hunni Bee 11:13 AM 04-16-2012
I understand where you are coming from. I've seen suits for little girls I wouldn't wear myself, and Im 25.

I dont mind a two piece that much, but the chest and bottom must be completely covered. If it keeps getting lost in their bum or their nipples show, they get to wear one of my extras.

I am big on teaching my girls modesty and how to carry themselves. Its a must nowadays.
bice99 12:23 PM 04-16-2012
My girls are both long waisted so it's really hard to fit them in one piece suits. They are now 10 and 7 and it's alway been a challenge. But they know tankinis are modest and what I think little girls should be in if one piece suits don't fit well. They are a lot easier to get off for going potty as well (my 10 year old told me that last summer at the pool).
Soupyszoo 12:26 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
My girls are both long waisted so it's really hard to fit them in one piece suits. They are now 10 and 7 and it's alway been a challenge. But they know tankinis are modest and what I think little girls should be in if one piece suits don't fit well. They are a lot easier to get off for going potty as well (my 10 year old told me that last summer at the pool).
Tankini is a great idea! Especially if they have this problem.
MrsB 02:09 PM 04-16-2012
I personally have no issues with bikini bathing suits. With that said, I take issue with bathing suits that dont fit that I always have to tend to including boys suits.

During the summer we do frequent trips to the spray park. I always send out a reminder that everyone needs a swimsuit that fits. Girls need to not ride up their bums constantly or straps that fall off and no string bikinis that need to be tied. Boys trunks need to fit properly and not fall down everytime they get wet. I have had to tell a parent that if they wear that swimsuit again they wont be allowed to come next time. Where water is concerned, I need to my eyes to be on kids at all time. I can't be bothered with constantly tying suits.
sharlan 02:29 PM 04-16-2012
Regardless of the bathing suit worn, I always have my kids wear t-shirts over them for skin protection. So, I wouldn't have an issue if a parent brought a 2 piece. I think that they fit little girls so much better, than one pieces.
cheerfuldom 02:32 PM 04-16-2012
My girls wear two piece but not bikinis....more like rashgaurds and shorts or tankinis. Its not my place to regulate the daycare kids swim wear so as long as their suit is functional, then I am okay with whatever mom sends. I have sent home a few tiny, tiny bikinis that did not stay on during play time and for that reason, they are not okay for daycare wear. I am all for modesty but I dont push that on the daycare families.
sharlan 02:34 PM 04-16-2012
Rash guards are the best invention ever.
Heidi 05:30 PM 04-16-2012
ok....so here's a different perspective...

To me, wearing a two-piece sexualizes little girls more than being topless! It implies that there is something to "cover up", when there isn't....they're babies! nipples on boy babbies and girl babies are the same. Why do we cover them up?

I think it's my "european" upbringing..little kids aren't generally covered at the beach...naked, half dressed, no one cares....

of course, it's also common for women to go topless on the beach or pool...no matter what their age, but I"M NOT THAT EUROPEAN!

Not trying to start a controversy here, just offering another perspective.

I don't even remember if my daughter owned a swimsuit at that age...as for dck's, whatever the parent's bring, they wear.
MrsB 06:42 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
ok....so here's a different perspective...

To me, wearing a two-piece sexualizes little girls more than being topless! It implies that there is something to "cover up", when there isn't....they're babies! nipples on boy babbies and girl babies are the same. Why do we cover them up?

I think it's my "european" upbringing..little kids aren't generally covered at the beach...naked, half dressed, no one cares....

of course, it's also common for women to go topless on the beach or pool...no matter what their age, but I"M NOT THAT EUROPEAN!

Not trying to start a controversy here, just offering another perspective.

I don't even remember if my daughter owned a swimsuit at that age...as for dck's, whatever the parent's bring, they wear.
Totally see your point bbo and agree! I think we do bring too much attention to some of this stuff to kids at too early of an age. I am pretty far on one side though. I still let my kids take showers with me, they bathe with their cousins, and let my littler kids run naked around the house if they choose. My 6 yr old daughter was just running thru the backyard sprinkler in only her underwear. She is way too young to think of her body in a sexual way.
cheerfuldom 06:52 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Totally see your point bbo and agree! I think we do bring too much attention to some of this stuff to kids at too early of an age. I am pretty far on one side though. I still let my kids take showers with me, they bathe with their cousins, and let my littler kids run naked around the house if they choose. My 6 yr old daughter was just running thru the backyard sprinkler in only her underwear. She is way too young to think of her body in a sexual way.
I see what you are saying but unfortunately, the world has tainted fun times like running through the sprinkler in your underwear. I would NEVER let me kids outside of the house in just their underwear due to perverts and peeping toms....I dont trust anyone! I can't even trust other neighborhood kids. My friends daughter was molested by a ten year old neighborhood boy just last week. I'm not saying that was due to what she was wearing, only that for most of us the world has changed and things like bathing suits for young kids are an issue these days. I am careful to make sure my girls always dress in privacy (they are 4 and 2), know that only mom and dad are allowed to see them naked (and the doctor) and this sort of thing. Its a shame that I even have to think of those sort of things really......This is one of the reasons why they usually swim in full coverage suits or rashguard sets because we do use the neighborhood pool and spray parks.
Hunni Bee 07:27 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I agree, but I also agree with cheerfuldom in that the decision has pretty much been made for us. Little girls have already been sexualized, whether they know it or not. I would seriously strip my kids down to their underwear and let them play like that if I could, but I feel like i need to teach them protection of their own bodies, which includes covering up. One of mine was molested a few months ago.

And the other thing is that little girls bodies do not look like they did 50 years ago, or even 20. Several of my girls, at 4 and 5 years old, have big butts, wide hips and the hint of breasts . They actually have something that needs to be covered. And as their bodies start to look more and more.like adult women, the clothing does too. The shirts are form fitting, the jeans are low rise, there are string bikini and even thong underwear for preschoolers. It really scares me.
Tags:bathing suit, swimming suits
Reply Up