Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Zoe's Avatar
Zoe Zoe is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,442
Default Please Help With Curriculum Planning!

Hey everyone!

I rarely post anymore because my infants and toddlers keep me pretty busy!
I'm in the process of planning my curriculum for the year, which is a first for me. I usually do preschool off the cuff and file everything by letter. However, I'm finding that I don't ever pull anything I've done before out because I can't remember where any of the themes are!

I was wondering how you all organize your curriculum. Do you have separate folders for everything? How do you label it so that you remember all that you have?

Also, the majority of my kiddos will be in the 2-3 year old range. Any fun tips for teaching this age?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

I use clear file boxes. I write on the end of the box what month I planned it for, or what theme is in the box. I use hanging files in the box with files in the hanging files. Those are labeled more specificly. The box would say November/Farm/Thanksgiving, Letters C, T, P, Colors Brown and Red; the files would be labeled as cow, tractor, pig, etc, etc.

I have a whole closet devoted to my daycare stuff with shelves for my curriculum boxes.

As I go to garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I'll pick up items that fit my themes and they go into those boxes. I also keep the specific craft items that fit the theme in the box - if room permits - so all I have to do is pull the box and it'll have all I need for the whole month.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 AM
MsLaura529's Avatar
MsLaura529 MsLaura529 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 850
Default

I need to find something to help organize, too.

Butterfly - that sounds like an awesome system you have! I wish I was able to devote a closet to all of my stuff. I have to keep it all in the same room that my infants nap in, which does not have a closet. I'm thinking cupboards??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLaura529 View Post
I need to find something to help organize, too.

Butterfly - that sounds like an awesome system you have! I wish I was able to devote a closet to all of my stuff. I have to keep it all in the same room that my infants nap in, which does not have a closet. I'm thinking cupboards??
I think cupboards would be a great solution. If I ran out of space, I'd keep mine in my garage. Since they are basically in plastic totes, they should be fine. And I'm organized enough I should be able to just pull out one box a month...

I use adjustable wall brackets in my closet. Similar to this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_80287-315-FG...set+organizers

But these could be hung on any wall too. You could get a shorter style and hang it higher so that your items were out of reach of littles and it wouldn't eat up floor space.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Zoe's Avatar
Zoe Zoe is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I use clear file boxes. I write on the end of the box what month I planned it for, or what theme is in the box. I use hanging files in the box with files in the hanging files. Those are labeled more specificly. The box would say November/Farm/Thanksgiving, Letters C, T, P, Colors Brown and Red; the files would be labeled as cow, tractor, pig, etc, etc.

I have a whole closet devoted to my daycare stuff with shelves for my curriculum boxes.

As I go to garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I'll pick up items that fit my themes and they go into those boxes. I also keep the specific craft items that fit the theme in the box - if room permits - so all I have to do is pull the box and it'll have all I need for the whole month.
So basically you plan for the month? That sounds great. See, this is why we have the forum, sometimes these solutions seem simple but we don't always think of it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
So basically you plan for the month? That sounds great. See, this is why we have the forum, sometimes these solutions seem simple but we don't always think of it!
Yep I plan for a month - most of the time. And I don't do curriculum in the summer, so only 9 months. I've been spending the last few weeks drawing up some new themes, to add some variety this year, so I have a couple new boxes to add to my closet.

Last edited by butterfly; 08-09-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curriculum - toddlers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curriculum Fee At Daycare? Opinions? lollipop101 Curriculum 9 07-08-2013 04:24 PM
Help Me Revamp My Curriculum. All Ideas Welcomed! cheerfuldom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 09-09-2012 03:03 PM
Mixed Level, Elementary School, Summer Curriculum Gah_Girl Curriculum 2 06-14-2011 02:14 PM
Curriculum Help MommyMuffin Curriculum 8 10-05-2010 01:13 PM
For Those That Don't Use a Curriculum... SunflowerMama Curriculum 11 06-02-2010 12:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming