Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is Kind Of Gross, But...
Unregistered 11:32 AM 03-05-2014
Have you ever sent a child home for having too many episodes of poop? Dcg 3, complained to dcm this morning that her stomach hurt. Nothing all day, until right after lunch. Dcg has spent a very long time in the potty going BM (so much- I won't get into details). A few seconds after she's done, she runs back in to go more. I am wondering if a laxative is to blame here, or when it is going to stop. Sorry for tmi. Do you have any policy for this, since it isn't diarrhea or anything? Do I just let it run its course?
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 03-05-2014
Personally I would send a child home ANY time they exhibited any type of behaviors that cause you to question them.

So in this case, I would send home. It isn't normal for DCG to behave that way so it would be considered abnormal and when it isn't normal, I am out.

I guess, I wouldn't necessarily send home unless the DCG seems to be in pain but I would absolutely make sure the parent was informed about the situation and if the child is in the same condition tomorrow, I would exclude.
Cradle2crayons 01:00 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have you ever sent a child home for having too many episodes of poop? Dcg 3, complained to dcm this morning that her stomach hurt. Nothing all day, until right after lunch. Dcg has spent a very long time in the potty going BM (so much- I won't get into details). A few seconds after she's done, she runs back in to go more. I am wondering if a laxative is to blame here, or when it is going to stop. Sorry for tmi. Do you have any policy for this, since it isn't diarrhea or anything? Do I just let it run its course?
I'm confused. You said she's going bm way too many times. Isn't this diarrhea?
jenn 03:58 PM 03-05-2014
I would send home. Spending the afternoon in the bathroom is not going to allow her to participate in normal activities, and in my rules, that is a reason to go home. Obviously, something is wrong. It may not be anything major or contagious, but most likely something she should be at home for.
Unregistered 04:02 PM 03-05-2014
You people look for any excuse to send paying kids home.
Blackcat31 04:22 PM 03-05-2014
Since you have an opinion, what would YOU do??

How do you know this provider charges for sick days or times in which a child is excluded from care?

How do you KNOW this child should be in care and risk exposing someone else to something contagious?

Sounds to me like YOU need a vacation.

As I teach my daycare kids before they speak:

THINK

Is it true?
Is it helpful?
Is it inspiring?
Is it necessary?
Is it kind?

I'd have to say no. NOTHING you said was any of those things.
nannyde 05:06 PM 03-05-2014
It's a complete pain in my arse to send kids home. I hate it. I would never do it unless not doing it put my business and livlihood at risk.
bloominggenius 07:53 PM 03-05-2014
I send home for 3 stools within 2 hours. There are risks that it is a contagious stomach flu, or she could have eaten something that wasn't properly prepared at home. If it is due to a laxative, my rule is that they have to be medicated they should be at home. She needs to be monitored for dehydration or blood in the stool. If she is going 3 times in 60 minutes it needs to be addressed.
Unregistered 04:42 AM 03-06-2014
OP here. Fortunately it stopped a little later in the day, but I had a really big mess to clean in the bathroom. I decided to keep dcg here even though I was a little worried about a stomach bug and she seemed ok later on. I told dcm about it at pick up, and she pretty much brushed it off. If it happens today, dcg is definitely going home!
grateday 08:05 PM 03-06-2014
I kid you not, a child was sent to my childcare with rotavirus (unknowing parent). I said you must get your kid and take them in. I mean I layed them down for a diaper change and off white liquid 2 c worth went up there back and out the sides. Disgusting and foul.

Parent warned me and I was like ok whatever because I did not know until they had the diarrhea. I soaked everything overnight in bleach, had the sick kid seperated by a gate until parent came and had all the kids out of the area the child was in. Parents came within 20 min. Handwashing, sanitizing.

Even with all of this, one kid still managed to get it and I felt awful but it was not my fault, I did everything I could. They are all ok now and it was a big education lesson in diarrhea illness in kids.

All I can say is push probiotocs, reduce sugary drinks, eliminate dairy when this is going on. Ask questions more about appearance, texture of diarrhea or poop, encourage a call before they drop off for the future.
spinnymarie 07:21 AM 03-07-2014
According to my Dr, diarrhea actually has less to do with the consistancy and more to do with the frequency ---- that sounds like diarrhea which would constitute going home for sure.
Tags:diarrhea policy, illness policy, poop - blow out
Reply Up