Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Job Isn't What I Thought It’d Be
Unregistered 09:58 AM 08-02-2019
Idk if it's just the center or what but the people who work here are terrible. The owner/director know that the teacher I work with doesn't follow protocol and the want me to "keep an eye out and report it to them." If u know someone doesn't follow the rules why not fire them? The teacher I work for is also crazy and brings her personal life to work on the daily. Then they put me in the room with another lady and she's just annoying as ****. I told her the baby sleeps with a bottle and she's like " no no just pat them." This lady also ACCIDENTALLY scratched a kid and they didn't fire her? She grabbed him by the arm. Then I guess someone is coming to investigate this week and now they have the proper ratio in the room I'm in. Usually they leave one person in the room and it's cool but this week it ALL HANDS ON DECK STAY IN UR ROOM DONT LEAVE UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE COMES IN! She just hires idiots! And they said my hour of pay was 9.50 but I'm looking at my check and it says 9. I agreed to do full time in September but I don't wanna be here.

First time poster. Any advice? Quit without notice? It's hard for me to find a job that's close. I don't have a car of my own and want to stay within my area but I applied everywhere and got nothing. I was job hunting for a year prior to this job. There are no other centers close to me that are hiring. Should I stay till December? I'm pissed and I don't think this is for me.
Msdunny 10:07 AM 08-02-2019
I can't tell you whether to stay or not, but one thing that stuck out to me is that a baby can't sleep with a bottle, so at least in that one area they aren't wrong.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck!
Cat Herder 10:19 AM 08-02-2019
I second the no bottle in the crib thing since it is illegal.

It sounds like they are trying to get back into compliance with state laws after a period of pencil whipping the stats. Maybe give them 30 days, finish training and see how you feel?

Leaving without notice is really only advisable in the case of abuse or safety risk. Then you should report as you go.
Pestle 10:28 AM 08-02-2019
It sounds like you don't feel this is a good fit for you. It sounds like your heart's not in it. It sounds like you don't like the workplace culture.

It sounds like you don't need us to tell you to move on, but I wonder why your plan is to move on to another child care center. Ratio problems and safe sleep practices and conflict with coworkers and management will always be part of the job.

I also wonder how quitting without notice will affect your ability to sell yourself as a good candidate when you find a center that'd hiring.
Unregistered 10:30 AM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I can't tell you whether to stay or not, but one thing that stuck out to me is that a baby can't sleep with a bottle, so at least in that one area they aren't wrong.
Sorry their one not babies. They always let her sleep with it.
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sorry their one not babies. They always let her sleep with it.
It is still against state daycare regulations and should not be allowed.

Sippy cups, either.
Cat Herder 11:00 AM 08-02-2019
What Causes Baby Bottle Tooth Decay?

https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-t...le-tooth-decay

This is why.
Ac114 01:19 PM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is still against state daycare regulations and should not be allowed.

Sippy cups, either.
Exactly
HHangout 06:30 PM 08-02-2019
I dont think it is fair that the owner|director to ask you to get between her and staff. Leaving things as "report to me if a staff is inappropriate" at a staff meeting is one thing, but individually asking staff to watch out for problematic staff means she doesnt want to do watch for it herself and put you in an awkward spot. I wouldnt nark on a specific person unless it was harmful to a child, but it is ok to say youre uncomfortable with the staff environment and when asked for details, I would leave names out and request for a staff meeting to address things. If it doesnt resolve, I would respectfully resign.
That said....turnover is BIG. Staff leave all. The. Time. Chances are they will leave soon but also you will risk getting someone worse. I would also document, document, document.

Everyone else is right about the bottle-you need to pat or rub their backs. Bottles to sleep is bad for a child because of potential rotting of their teeth and dependency of a bottle at bed.

Good luck, OP.
Unregistered 07:07 PM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by HHangout:
I dont think it is fair that the owner|director to ask you to get between her and staff. Leaving things as "report to me if a staff is inappropriate" at a staff meeting is one thing, but individually asking staff to watch out for problematic staff me
My thing is that there is a camera in the room. The day they asked me too keep my eye on her they were looking through the footage because a kid got bit. I wonder if they saw her do something? I've seen her pull kids hair and her child-care philosophy is very flawed and she's admitted to me that she has mental problems and snapped last year. I'm just uncomfortable that she tells me these personal things.
HHangout 09:21 PM 08-03-2019
It is very hard to tell a boss you dont enjoy the personal convos. I had a boss who aired out EVERYONE's dirty laundry but luckily she was a sloppy talker so I didnt understand half of what she said and didnt pay attention to retain it. But I couldnt get myself to say stop
trix23 08:30 AM 08-06-2019
Maybe open up your options of where you work for a bit? Or save up $ to get a bike so that you could work a bit further away than just by walking. or find a place along a bus route. or open up a home daycare as soon as you're able to get some supplies together?
Tags:bottle rot, bottles, center based teachers, center workers, dental, sippy cups, training courses
Reply Up