Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Kids and Naps
tenderhearts 09:06 AM 04-08-2010
Hi, well today I start a new full time 3 1/2 year old girl, yea I'm so excited I was able to replace one so quickly. I haven't had to take on a new child for awhile and I've always have been pretty successful and quick with getting them used to nap time. The little girls mom said her daughters mom said she is not on any kind of a schedule (said she wished she was) and said that although she wants her to take a nap just doesnt' always enforce it, so she said she was worried that she wont cooperate at nap time. She hasn't been in daycare for over a year. So I was wondering how do others get new kids adjusted to this? Usually I just tell them the rules and they seem to adapt no problem or with a few reminders no talking or playing but I feel like I'm going to be spending my whole quiet time at the door since mom said she was worried. I know it's all apart of the job and it's not easy but I just wondered if others start them in another room first until they are used going down or just start them out in that room? The other 2 kids that nap in there NEED their naps. Thanks just curious.
Daycare Mommy 09:19 AM 04-08-2010
I'd start the new kid out with everyone else and act like she's been there all along. Usually this is all it takes with new kids here. They just follow the group and copy the others. Now if this kid starts screaming or won't stay down or whatever, I either sit in the nap room to keep her in line or temporarily bring the mat out to where you are and get her used to napping again before transitioning to sleeping with the group. Just depends on how unwilling she is to go with the flow.
momma2girls 09:40 AM 04-08-2010
I have a 3 1/2 yr. old girl that only comes as a fillin when her Mom can't find anyone else to watch her. I just moved into this new neighborhood, and she seen I did daycare, so she called, to see if I could do daycare for her little girl once in a while. I said sure. WOW!!! This little girl has really never been away from Mom very much at all. Her Mom only works a couple of days a week if that. She also just started going to preschool. The first day was awful! All she did was cry used a whole box of my kleenexes, she wanted her Mom. We actually did more than normal to try and keep her busy with things to do all the time. Even sitting working on things, she still sobbed and cried. UGHHH!!!
So the Mom picks her up, and I told her she did take a nap only about 20 min. though. She screamed after about an hr. after laying down, she wanted her Mom, she woke up 2 babies, etc.... I told her to lay down and don't say another word, and that she just woke up 2 babies that are crying now. The Mom replied "oh, she took a nap(in disgust) She never takes a nap, she hasn't since she was 18 months! She didn't want her to take one at all.
The 2nd and 3rd times she was here, it was the same thing all day, but she did take about an hr. and 1/2 nap each day. The Mom was seemed horrified when I told her she slept that long.
She hasn't been back for like 2 weeks now- I don't quite know if it is worth it as a fillin or not. I am going to tell the Mom if she does call and come back if she could bring along a hankerchief or a box of kleenexes, because she uses a whole box everytime she is here!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!
originalkat 01:17 PM 04-08-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I'd start the new kid out with everyone else and act like she's been there all along. Usually this is all it takes with new kids here. They just follow the group and copy the others. Now if this kid starts screaming or won't stay down or whatever, I either sit in the nap room to keep her in line or temporarily bring the mat out to where you are and get her used to napping again before transitioning to sleeping with the group. Just depends on how unwilling she is to go with the flow.
I would also do this. My new ones (started about 2 monthes ago) mom told me she didnt think she would nap and she naps well every day. Try it the way you want it to be and adjust as necessary.
tenderhearts 01:38 PM 04-08-2010
Well I did what I always do, explained to her what I expect at nap time ect.I told her that if she talks or plays around then she will have to go into a different room so she kept talking and playing with the toys so after about 35 min I had to take her into another room, it's not out where I am but the door is half open so she can see me, well not all the time, she's quiet now, she kind of started crying for her mom but I consoled her and told her that her mom will be here a little later and I told her I would keep checking on her and she is now quiet, I told her that if she lays quietly and not play with toys she can sleep with the others so hopefully she'll adjust quickly. thanks
tenderhearts 01:19 PM 04-09-2010
So yesterday after having to put her into a different room, she finally fell asleep but I gave her a few books after putting her in there, well after like 20 min. So she wanted to try a lay with the other kids so I said that's fine but she needed to lay there quietly and not play with toys, so she keeps kind of whining off and on, not loudly but enough where the other kids aren't falling asleep, so would you give her a few books to look at or not? It's not really fair to the other kids but they don't have a problem falling asleep, so I don't know what to do, I want her to adjust to napping in there with them. So would you give her some books?
Daycare Mommy 06:59 AM 04-10-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
So she wanted to try a lay with the other kids so I said that's fine but she needed to lay there quietly and not play with toys, so she keeps kind of whining off and on, not loudly but enough where the other kids aren't falling asleep, so would you give her a few books to look at or not? It's not really fair to the other kids but they don't have a problem falling asleep, so I don't know what to do, I want her to adjust to napping in there with them. So would you give her some books?
No I wouldn't. You told her beforehand that she could only lay with the other kids without the toys. If you change that because she is whining, you are reinforcing that bad behavior and you will see it again and again and again.

I would not be giving her options at naptime. No books, no toys, no switching rooms mid-nap. If she is keeping the other kids up then I'd get her sleeping on a regular basis first in another room. If she tells you she wants to sleep with the other kids, then you say, "You may sleep with the other children after you show me that you can lay quietly at naptime for a few days first."
AmandasFCC 11:12 AM 04-10-2010
Nope I don't give options. I sit in the room until everyone is asleep or close enough to it that they're chilled out and get the point that quiet time is quiet time. All my nappers are in the same room. The only ones that get separated are the little ones in play pens while they are adjusting to being in daycare. They get moved into the nap room too after they get used to routine.

I find that even kids whose parents tell me they don't nap always nap here. We have tons of active play here and they are pooped by the time lunch rolls around. If they don't nap though, they still need to lay on a cot for an hour and if they haven't fallen asleep in that time and are capable of being quiet, then I allow them into my playroom to look at books quietly.
Tags:naps
Reply Up