Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare & Transportation
Unregistered 10:18 AM 10-22-2012
Do any of you take your daycare kids with you when you have to take own kids to school?

I was looking into starting a daycare out of my home:-)
I would accept children 2 years and over and only have a total of 5.
I have a 9 year old son and I would still need to take and pick up from school (Monday-Friday) I would disclose this in the first interview but do you this will hurt my chances of them not picking me as their provider because of it? I would provide the carseat (or if they prefer I will use one of their extras) and since my son is old enough to drop off and pick up in front of the school, I would not have to take any of the kids out of the car. Also the school is only 2 blocks aways from the school, so it is all residentail driving (no freeway)

What have your experiance been?
Sunchimes 11:08 AM 10-22-2012
I don't take kids unless I can transport. They sign a permission slip for anywhere in town with their contract. This would include errands, the park, etc. I don't do as much as I use to do since I got the baby.

If it involves going out of town (rural area, so some things require going to the next town), I let them know in advance.

I only have 3 kids, and I treat them like my grandkids rather than a more formal situation. I've never had anyone refuse.
mom2many 11:29 AM 10-22-2012
I did transportation to and from with my own kids for years and had to take the dcks with me. It was a hassle some days loading everyone up in the car and took longer to get into the car then it did to do the actual drive! The parents were all aware that I had to do this when they enrolled and gave me permission to do so.
littlemissmuffet 12:02 PM 10-22-2012
I don't transport kids (aside from public transportation) for any reason - too much liability! But I know of providers who do, and they are full... so the fact they do transport isn't hurting them too badly.

I just wonder, if the school is only 2 blocks away, is walking an option??
mysonsmom1 12:02 PM 10-22-2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I first stated, I had one child that I had to take with me to drop off and pick up my son from school> The parent was aware of the transporation and signed a permission slip for me to do so. the DCP was well aware of why her child had to come with me and I even purchased a car seat for her to come with me.

That lasted for a month, then I hired someone to do school drop offs and pick ups for me to and from the elemantary school. This opened the door for me to accept after care students. Many siblings of toddlers that was already in care.

I dont think that there is anything wrong with it as long as your follow the state guidelines, insure that your vehicle is operational (to avoid breakdowns which can cause a big problem) and permission given by the parents.

Good Luck
Unregistered 04:35 PM 10-22-2012
If I have 5 to 6 kids in my care I don't think I'd be able to keep a hold of all of them unless I can find a really long stroller!

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I don't transport kids (aside from public transportation) for any reason - too much liability! But I know of providers who do, and they are full... so the fact they do transport isn't hurting them too badly.

DaisyMamma 08:32 PM 10-22-2012
I drive my dd to preschool 4 days a week with a car full of kids. I also do a lot of field trips - library, parks, etc.
I tell families this when I interview and they sign permission slips. I'm full, only once had someone say they don't want their child transported and didn't enroll. I wouldn't allow a kid to enroll who I can't transport. Many parents choose me because I do field trips.
littlemissmuffet 09:36 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If I have 5 to 6 kids in my care I don't think I'd be able to keep a hold of all of them unless I can find a really long stroller!
It just takes some practice I have 5-6 kids daily, 4 are under 2 and the other 2 are 3 years old... they are excellent little walkers, pay attention, stay close to me, hold hands and never take off. We practice safe walking every day - and we go on LONG walks But I can see why you wouldn't want to risk it.
AnneCordelia 09:41 AM 10-23-2012
We walk 4 miles a day to do our school run. Around here there are no insurance companies who will cover me to drive the kids. I have a five seat strolled by Runabout that I love. Runabout makes strollers big enough to seat 8 if you need it.
itlw8 10:50 AM 10-23-2012
Most parents if you tell them at the interview have no problem

But your insurance campany may have a problem. Ours made us sign a waiver stating I would not transport the childcare children in my car. They are not covered if I do and I would be canceled.
lovemykidstoo 10:54 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

I don't either. It is hard enough to get liability insurance on my house right now with the daycare. To get car insurance with that added liability I think would be impossible and if not impossible it would be so much that it wouldn't be worth it. I do know people here that do transport, but they are not insured for it and my insurance guy said if they ever get in a car accident the car insurance will NOT cover it and they could lose everything. Be sure you check it out and see if you're insured.
lovemykidstoo 10:55 AM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Most parents if you tell them at the interview have no problem

But your insurance campany may have a problem. Ours made us sign a waiver stating I would not transport the childcare children in my car. They are not covered if I do and I would be canceled.
So by signing that waiver, I'm assuming you are not covered if something happened. Is that correct? That's how it works here.
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 10-23-2012
I have NEVER offered transportion to anything. It is so out of the norm here to have that option. Most providers here find alternate ways to get their own children to school and if any daycare kids need a ride anywhere it falls on the parents.

Even if transporting was a normal thing here, I would never do it. Just how I feel. I was an over protective mom who never allowed anyone to transport my kids except for family members.

I just wouldn't want that added responsibilty.
Springdaze 11:17 AM 10-23-2012
Im having that problem as we speak! I have been hoping it doesnt rain and scrownging for someone to take my kids to and from school when it does. One day I had to have my dh watch the dcks so I could take mine to school and hope there was someone there that would bring them home! no one wants to help, or maybe I dont feel right asking! i have one child who I am not sure I should ask about taking him in the car. I wouldnt mind walking even in cooler and slightly wet weather, but unlike some of you, I have parents who would freak if their kid got wet, not to mention dirty looks from other parents! I have been putting off asking someone just to pick them up everyday, but there must be someone!
MarinaVanessa 11:40 AM 10-23-2012
I transport kids all of the time. In fact, if you don't agree with vehicle transportation then this isn't the right daycare for you. It works for me however I don't plan on providing transportation for long and will probably stop providing it at the end of this school year.

Originally I transport because of my own daughter, she needed to get to school. Since some of my DC kids were going off to school I figured I might as well just keep them as clients and pick them up after school. It's hard though to load and unload all of the kids.

And yes I've lost potential clients to the fact that I transport on a daily basis so expect that. I make sure to mention that during their first call and I would say that a good 1/3 of my calls deny me right out the gate because of it. I don't mind since finding replacements for my openings isn't difficult though so that aspect doesn't really effect me.
Tags:transportation
Reply Up