Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Behavior Charts?
Josiegirl 04:32 AM 12-05-2013
Does anyone use incentive or behavior charts?
I have in the past when certain behaviors got out of hand. And they did seem to work, at least temporarily. Course, as with anything, there are pros and cons.

I ask because right now I'm having some problems with my almost 3 yo dcg. She's such a verbal child, very VERY strong-willed and independent, dramatic, the whole nine yards, likes to have things HER way. I mean she has her good qualities too but she's always letting ME know how it's going to be. Plus she's started regressing into acting like a baby.
Her mom says they're using a chart at home because her ds's K class is using one, so her ds actually created it all for him and his sister.
Just wondering if I should do it here? Or just keep plugging along?
Maria2013 05:33 AM 12-05-2013
I've never used them myself but I remember a kindergarten teacher saying they work great "at first" then they kinda lose their charm
daycarediva 05:39 AM 12-05-2013
It's all about intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation. They are only 'good' when they get a reward or sticker or praise. The value of being good is it's own reward. have had far too many kids who are praised for every little thing and won't behave or make a good choice without the reward attached. They do work-at first. Novelty wears off, and they stop caring OR you cannot discontinue the reward and keep the better behavior.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have in the past when certain behaviors got out of hand. And they did seem to work, at least temporarily. Course, as with anything, there are pros and cons.

I ask because right now I'm having some problems with my almost 3 yo dcg. She's such a verbal child, very VERY strong-willed and independent, dramatic, the whole nine yards, likes to have things HER way. I mean she has her good qualities too but she's always letting ME know how it's going to be. Plus she's started regressing into acting like a baby.
Her mom says they're using a chart at home because her ds's K class is using one, so her ds actually created it all for him and his sister.
I refuse to use a reward chart for expected behaviors. Such as listening, being respectful, speaking politely, etc...

I prefer to use a consequence for the unwanted behavior.

I will give positive reinforcement when I "catch" a kid going above and beyond or being especially helpful or nice to a playmate but nothing for expected behavior.

I think the reward charts CAN be helpful but IME, it's been MORE work than just trying to keep plugging away at it. kwim?
Leigh 06:40 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It's all about intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation. They are only 'good' when they get a reward or sticker or praise. The value of being good is it's own reward. have had far too many kids who are praised for every little thing and won't behave or make a good choice without the reward attached. They do work-at first. Novelty wears off, and they stop caring OR you cannot discontinue the reward and keep the better behavior.
I have a kid like this, too. ANY little reward makes him go insane-once he has reward in hand (figuratively or literally), he has NO incentive to behave. Incentive charts work for some kids, but not so much for kids whose behaviors are already out of control. With mine, I use a lot of verbal praise: "I appreciate that you picked up toys without being asked, THANK YOU SO MUCH!". Every once in a while (not even weekly), I'll give him a sticker for a positive behavior. If the stickers were an everyday thing, then he is just working for the sticker and good behaviors stop after he gets it. When it's random, he seems to handle it better.

Most important with kids like this is to not give warnings, but make consequences for behavior immediate and consistent. When you give 3 chances, the kid counts them, too, and knows that he/she can continue to push boundaries.
Cradle2crayons 06:40 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

I will occasionally yet rarely use one. I do have a blank one if you will PM me your email addy. You can out their name on it and fill in her blanks for the specifics.

I've had success in the past by using one with specific issues. I use a color system here, like they do in school. When parents pick up, they know automatically how things have been. I like the color chart because if they do one thing wrong, they still have the incentive to bring that color back up to a good color. It's a great visual way for them to see "uh oh, I'm on yellow, now what"
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I will occasionally yet rarely use one. I do have a blank one if you will PM me your email addy. You can out their name on it and fill in her blanks for the specifics.
If you are on the food program at all, MMK has a chart maker feature that allows you to customize any chart you want
Brooksie 07:46 AM 12-05-2013
http://missnightmutters.com/2012/08/...h-a-price.html
Danielle 08:25 AM 12-05-2013
I've used Class Dojo (http://www.classdojo.com/) and really like it. I have an old computer that I set up where the kids can see it and use my phone to give/take away points. The computer bings and displays who got/lost a point and their totals are always on display. The kids get to create their own monster avatar and they really liked that. Plus, even if they can't read, they know their avatar and green means good, red means bad. Parents can sign up for parent accounts too and get weekly behavior reports. If they parents actually use it (mine didn't), it's a wonderful feature. I use it mostly for positive reinforcement. The kids get really excited when they get caught being good and it's announced to everyone via the computer.
Maria2013 09:35 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I refuse to use a reward chart for expected behaviors. Such as listening, being respectful, speaking politely, etc...

I prefer to use a consequence for the unwanted behavior.

I will give positive reinforcement when I "catch" a kid going above and beyond or being especially helpful or nice to a playmate but nothing for expected behavior.

I think the reward charts CAN be helpful but IME, it's been MORE work than just trying to keep plugging away at it. kwim?

Scout 11:24 AM 12-05-2013
http://www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com/

I think this is where I printed off a bunch of behavior bucks for ds and he was going to be able to earn them for vacation money for things like being nice to his friends without me asking, picking up toys without me asking, stuff like this. I never did use them but, thought they were cute!
Reply Up