Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cooking With Alcohol
NeedaVaca 11:54 AM 04-04-2013
Would you serve food to your DCK's that had been prepared using alcohol. Like spaghetti sauce with red wine, chili with beer in it, stroganoff with sherry, chicken marsala with marsala wine?
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 04-04-2013
I've always understood that any alcohol used in recipes burn off during cooking.
Heidi 11:59 AM 04-04-2013
I wouldn't specifically cook for them using alchohol, but I have had leftovers and served them (completely forgetting about it, honestly).

If it didn't "cook out" completely the first time, by the time I've refrigerated it or frozen it, then reheated it, I'd bet money that it's all out.

Just incase, I probably wouldn't say to parents "we had spaghetti with red wine sauce today".
Lyss 12:01 PM 04-04-2013
I wouldn't with the DCKs, just because I'm not sure my parents would be ok with that or how educated they are on the process. I'm sure a few would picture me handing DCK a bowl of noodles floating in red wine

With DD I might, it just depends on what it is and how its cooked. When you cook an alcoholic beverage for long enough at a high enough temperature, the alcohol will evaporate. The flavor will remain in a concentrated form, but the alcohol will be gone. Any recipes that call for adding wine/alcohol without heating it or recipes that call for a large volume or a relatively short cooking time after adding wine/alcohol are a no-no.
MamaBearCanada 12:03 PM 04-04-2013
I wouldn't. In a similar thread in the Meals forum someone posted a chart about how the alcohol does NOT burn off & that it is a myth that it does. I'd be too scared to risk it.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35155
mema 12:06 PM 04-04-2013
I don't, but only because I don't cook with it. I'd rather have it in a glass that I can taste and enjoy it. Seriously tho, I don't know that even if I cooked with it that I would give it to dcks, just not knowing for sure that it was all cooked off.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I wouldn't. In a similar thread in the Meals forum someone posted a chart about how the alcohol does NOT burn off & that it is a myth that it does. I'd be too scared to risk it.

That is good to know. I don't serve anything that fancy anyways but good to know that the info I did go by is not true.
itlw8 12:51 PM 04-04-2013
seems I recently heard on tv that yes the alcohol does burn off but there is still a trace if someone who is sensitive ate it. not sure what show though.
CedarCreek 12:53 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
seems I recently heard on tv that yes the alcohol does burn off but there is still a trace if someone who is sensitive ate it. not sure what show though.
It's really good to know because that way I won't cook anything that my sister in law would be allergic too! She can't have wine that just stinks.
itlw8 12:54 PM 04-04-2013
I found this

Alcohol Burn-off Chart
The following chart data comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture with information on how much alcohol remains in your food with specific cooking methods. Keep in mind that this is the percentage of alcohol remaining of the original addition.
For more detailed information and explanation, consult the full article on Cooking With Alcohol and Alcohol Substitutions, which includes important information about how much alcohol remains in cooked foods and caution when using alcohol in frozen foods, plus tips and hints to help you make the right substitution choice. For alcohol substitutions, consult the Alcohol Substitution Chart.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart
Preparation Method Percent Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time 40%
30 minutes cooking time 35%
1 hour cooking time 25%
1.5 hours cooking time 20%
2 hours cooking time 10%
2.5 hours cooking time 5%
Oneluckymom 12:56 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:

I clearly remember this thread....I don't cook with any alcohol anyway but this is something to check out.
AmyKidsCo 12:58 PM 04-04-2013
I wouldn't on purpose but can't guarantee I haven't accidentally since I use family "leftovers" for daycare sometimes.
Reply Up