Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daughter Babysitting
lovemykidstoo 06:04 AM 08-12-2013
My daughter is 12, almost 13 and is babysitting for the first time for one of my daycare families. She is only babysitting for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. The children she will be watching one is 8 and the other is 2. Both boys. The older 8 yr old will have a friend there also 8. The mom came today and asked what she charges. I said I don't know really what she's charging because she's just starting. I asked her what she pays her current sitter that just can't happen to make it that day. She is I think 16 yrs old. She said she pays her more per hour because she said that at that age she could be working for minimum wage somewhere. She said she pays her like $8 an hour. She was thinking of paying my daughter $5 an hour. She also has a babysitter that is 13. She said that she pays her less than the 16 yr old. I got irritated when she said that and said, oh so the 16 yr old works harder than the 13 yr old? She just kinda laughed. If my daughter takes time out of her day to ride her bike over there (in the same neighborhood) and she only pays her like $10 I'm not gonna be happy. She won't be babysitting again I tell ya that.

Any thoughts?
Familycare71 06:07 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
My daughter is 12, almost 13 and is babysitting for the first time for one of my daycare families. She is only babysitting for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. The children she will be watching one is 8 and the other is 2. Both boys. The older 8 yr old will have a friend there also 8. The mom came today and asked what she charges. I said I don't know really what she's charging because she's just starting. I asked her what she pays her current sitter that just can't happen to make it that day. She is I think 16 yrs old. She said she pays her more per hour because she said that at that age she could be working for minimum wage somewhere. She said she pays her like $8 an hour. She was thinking of paying my daughter $5 an hour. She also has a babysitter that is 13. She said that she pays her less than the 16 yr old. I got irritated when she said that and said, oh so the 16 yr old works harder than the 13 yr old? She just kinda laughed. If my daughter takes time out of her day to ride her bike over there (in the same neighborhood) and she only pays her like $10 I'm not gonna be happy. She won't be babysitting again I tell ya that.

Any thoughts?
When I babysat (a looong time ago!) and when my kids did- there was a $20 min... I think it would be fair to set a min amount that makes it worth her time...
lovemykidstoo 06:24 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
When I babysat (a looong time ago!) and when my kids did- there was a $20 min... I think it would be fair to set a min amount that makes it worth her time...
It's been awhile since we had a babysitter as my son is over 15 now. Now that you say that, we used to do that too with sitters. No matter how short of a time they were here, we always paid at least $20 and that was for 2 kids. I think that for at least 2 hours, 3 kids, she better not pay her less than $20. Kinda irritated me too because she pays her normal sitter $8-9 an hour and pays me less than $3.50 an hour. Boo!
Familycare71 07:38 AM 08-12-2013
It's been awhile since we had a babysitter as my son is over 15 now. Now that you say that, we used to do that too with sitters. No matter how short of a time they were here, we always paid at least $20 and that was for 2 kids. I think that for at least 2 hours, 3 kids, she better not pay her less than $20. Kinda irritated me too because she pays her normal sitter $8-9 an hour and pays me less than $3.50 an hour. Boo!
Yeah- I hear ya on that!!!
Lyss 02:06 PM 08-12-2013
I'd never pay a babysitter less because of her age My DD isn't any easier to deal with if she has a younger sitter

I recently checked around with some friends (because DH and are are looking for a good sitter) and in our area it seems to be standard to pay a sitter $20-$35.
MamaBearCanada 07:15 PM 08-12-2013
Here it is $5-8/hr depending on how many kids, if they are sleeping etc with a minimum of $20.
littlemissmuffet 09:26 PM 08-12-2013
When I used to babysit (15-20 years ago) the norm was $5/hour, with a minimum of $20. Now I hear babysitters in my area charge $10-$12/hour!

I personally would not let my daughter babysit for one of my clients, but if I did, I would expect she be paid the same amount the parents would pay another babysitter (I don't think age should be a factor - experience maybe... but not age).
Unregistered 01:01 PM 08-16-2013
I personally think she is too young to start babysitting. I would think it would be best between 14 to 16 years old to start. Just saying...
lovemykidstoo 01:38 PM 08-16-2013
I think that this lady was not too bright to tell me that she paid her sitter 8-9 an hour and pay my daughter less. duh! She ended up babysitting for an hour and a half for her 2 kids and a friend. So 3 kids altogether for 1 1/2 hours and she paid her $10.
Crystal 01:44 PM 08-16-2013
When my daughter started babysitting, I left it up to her to set her rate and discuss it with the parents. I felt that if she was old enough, mature enough and competent enough to babysit, then it was her responsibility to set her rate and collect the payment. If not, then she wasn't ready to do it.

No offense intended, but I don't think you can expect her to be paid as much as an older child, as the older child likely has more experience and is probably able to do other things with the children, like taking them to the park, etc. that a younger child cannot and should not do.

I do agree with PP that she is probably too young to babysit, especially three children at one time.
Cradle2crayons 01:49 PM 08-16-2013
I think that this lady was not too bright to tell me that she paid her sitter 8-9 an hour and pay my daughter less. duh! She ended up babysitting for an hour and a half for her 2 kids and a friend. So 3 kids altogether for 1 1/2 hours and she paid her $10.
TEN BUCKS FOR THREE KIDS?? So, two different families. Did they pay her five bucks a family?? I'd be flaming mad and I'd have called both sets of parents involved and told them they had better being some more money over.
Blackcat31 01:50 PM 08-16-2013
My DD started babysitting for my daycare families too when she was that age. She charged $10 per hour for the first child and $3 per hour for each additional child. For 1.5 hours for 3 kids would have earned her $22.50.

My DD is 25 yrs old now so this was a while back...

This woman clearly shortchanged your daughter and if I were her, I would never agree to sit for her again. That woman lost a good thing IMPO.
lovemykidstoo 02:21 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DD started babysitting for my daycare families too when she was that age. She charged $10 per hour for the first child and $3 per hour for each additional child. For 1.5 hours for 3 kids would have earned her $22.50.

My DD is 25 yrs old now so this was a while back...

This woman clearly shortchanged your daughter and if I were her, I would never agree to sit for her again. That woman lost a good thing IMPO.
Cradle2crayons, it was 2 kids of hers and 1 friend that was visiting so the other parent didn't pay. The dcm paid for all 3.

I really don't believe that my daughter is too young to babysit. I really dont' think that you can go by an age per se. She is exctremely advanced for her age and extremely responsible. She has been raised for her entire life with my daycare kids and helps me all the time. You won't find anyone her age with more experience. I don't believe it's fair to pay one age babysitter different from another. My daughter put the younger one down for a nap and played ball with the 2 other ones in the back yard. The lady does not allow the sitter to take the kids off the property, so I know that my daughter didn't do any less than an older sitter. This dcm is just cheaper than hell and took advantage in my opinion. She complains all the time that she has no money and actually just sold their house because they couldn't afford it, but yet takes her 8 yr old son to horse riding lessons once a week at $40 a pop and pays for a weekly house cleaner. So any chance she has to save money she will do it including shorting my daughter. I think that she will be busy from now on.
Cradle2crayons 02:25 PM 08-16-2013
Cradle2crayons, it was 2 kids of hers and 1 friend that was visiting so the other parent didn't pay. The dcm paid for all 3.

I really don't believe that my daughter is too young to babysit. I really dont' think that you can go by an age per se. She is exctremely advanced for her age and extremely responsible. She has been raised for her entire life with my daycare kids and helps me all the time. You won't find anyone her age with more experience. I don't believe it's fair to pay one age babysitter different from another. My daughter put the younger one down for a nap and played ball with the 2 other ones in the back yard. The lady does not allow the sitter to take the kids off the property, so I know that my daughter didn't do any less than an older sitter. This dcm is just cheaper than hell and took advantage in my opinion. She complains all the time that she has no money and actually just sold their house because they couldn't afford it, but yet takes her 8 yr old son to horse riding lessons once a week at $40 a pop and pays for a weekly house cleaner. So any chance she has to save money she will do it including shorting my daughter. I think that she will be busy from now on.
I agree she should have been paid exactly e same and age shouldn't have been a factor. Maybe in the future if anyone else asks her to babysit, show her how your backbone works, come up with a rate, and have your daughter respectfully present her rate. For instance, the going rate is $8 an hour. Minimum 2 hours paid. S if mrs. XYZ ants her to watch her child for three hours, then she can say "mrs XYZ, I'd be happy to watch your son. My rate for three hours is $24". That teaches her e business aspect.

Sounds like you've done a great job raising a responsible young lady. And she deserves adequate pay. Just as you wouldn't allow a dcm to offer you what they want to pay, show your daughter she deserves to be treated like the young lady she is.
lovemykidstoo 05:00 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I agree she should have been paid exactly e same and age shouldn't have been a factor. Maybe in the future if anyone else asks her to babysit, show her how your backbone works, come up with a rate, and have your daughter respectfully present her rate. For instance, the going rate is $8 an hour. Minimum 2 hours paid. S if mrs. XYZ ants her to watch her child for three hours, then she can say "mrs XYZ, I'd be happy to watch your son. My rate for three hours is $24". That teaches her e business aspect.

Sounds like you've done a great job raising a responsible young lady. And she deserves adequate pay. Just as you wouldn't allow a dcm to offer you what they want to pay, show your daughter she deserves to be treated like the young lady she is.
Good advice, thank you! I am very proud of her. She is a straight A student, a member of the pom pon team and has a huge heart! And gorgeous to boot! lol
Cradle2crayons 05:02 PM 08-16-2013
Good advice, thank you! I am very proud of her. She is a straight A student, a member of the pom pon team and has a huge heart! And gorgeous to boot! lol

Size18 08:20 PM 09-08-2013

Any thoughts?
I can totally relate to the way you are feeling, but try not to be too defined and fine-lined regarding. Babysitting, from the standpoint of hands-on experience, is a good thing, and as new babysitting jobs arise and present themselves, chances are good, your daughter will land new babysitting work due to her previous babysitting experience, so I'd let her gain a foothold and use this job as a stepping stone.
Play Care 09:19 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
When my daughter started babysitting, I left it up to her to set her rate and discuss it with the parents. I felt that if she was old enough, mature enough and competent enough to babysit, then it was her responsibility to set her rate and collect the payment. If not, then she wasn't ready to do it.

No offense intended, but I don't think you can expect her to be paid as much as an older child, as the older child likely has more experience and is probably able to do other things with the children, like taking them to the park, etc. that a younger child cannot and should not do.

I do agree with PP that she is probably too young to babysit, especially three children at one time.

Play Care 09:20 AM 09-09-2013

I think if your daughter is going to babysit in the future she needs to set her rate- just like we wouldn't want parents telling us how much they are going to pay us
Tags:babysitter, provider children, provider children hired
Reply Up