Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets in Childcare Area
permanentvacation 08:10 PM 10-26-2014
I was wondering what you guys do with your pets during daycare hours. Do you let your pets interact with the daycare children in the daycare area? Do you keep your pets separate from the daycare area during daycare time?
Cradle2crayons 09:11 PM 10-26-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I was wondering what you guys do with your pets during daycare hours. Do you let your pets interact with the daycare children in the daycare area? Do you keep your pets separate from the daycare area during daycare time?
One bird (the biggest one) is in my daycare area... As are both of my little dogs... And the cats go in and out the doggie door.

All of them are cleared by the state and all of their health paperwork is in a file by the front door.
Second Home 03:30 AM 10-27-2014
My 2 dogs roam the house freely during the day . They do not go in to the playroom when kids are playing . And the kids do not play with them . One of my dogs was a reading partner to one of my dckwho barely spoke , she would lay near him as he pretended to read to her. My bearded dragon is in my son's room away from the dck space and the gecko is in my living room where the kids can see the tank and her but not touch her.
daycarediva 03:42 AM 10-27-2014
My cats roam freely but I keep them out of the daycare space for the most part because of cat hair. YUCK.

Our snake is in my son's room.
DaveA 05:01 AM 10-27-2014
The hamster is in a tank with a screen lid on a table in the classroom. Our Pekinese is the old man of the house & just avoids the kids other than barking up a storm at pickup & dropoff. Knows every place he can get to stay out of the way of dcks.

Outside the chickens and ducks are in a fenced pen. Technically the kids aren't supposed to have contact with the birds, but they have been known to "escape" out into the backyard while we're out there (tricky little birds ) .
Hazel 05:29 AM 10-27-2014
My two Boston Terriers roam freely but they stay ling the living room mostly all day. My 2 cats roam free as well but they avoid the kids.. They are usually upstairs sleeping on my bed. My dart frog tank is in my living room and it's locked. My bearded dragon tank is on a large heavy cabinet in the playroom and it has a locked screened lid.. The kids love watching her. I make special backgrounds for each season. My dogs and cats have all been raised around the kids and they are all UTD on their shots. My younger dog (18 months) DOES go to daycare 2 times a week tho... Gets her wiggles out... Lol
SignMeUp 05:41 AM 10-27-2014
We are only allowed dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, gerbils and birds. I think that's the whole list.
My tropical fish stay in their aquarium, but the kids get to watch them
Licensing made me take out the aquatic frogs because of risk to the children
Aquatic frogs - they can't live out of the water
Leigh 07:21 AM 10-27-2014
My dogs don't interact with daycare kids. They're very nice dogs, but they are still animals, and I would never take the chance of a child accidentally hurting them and getting bitten in defense.

They either are outside on nice days (they have their own large, fenced area separate from the kids' area) or gated in my foyer on other days.
KiddieCahoots 07:28 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
We are only allowed dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, gerbils and birds. I think that's the whole list.
My tropical fish stay in their aquarium, but the kids get to watch them
Licensing made me take out the aquatic frogs because of risk to the children
Aquatic frogs - they can't live out of the water

My hamster is in the daycare room with a screened lid, and is now secure to the wall unit, that is already secured to the wall......licensing here too
Three dogs...a cock-a-poo, and 2 long haired Chihuahua's stay out of the daycare room from gates. All up to date on vaccinations, heart guard, flea and tick, the works!
Cradle2crayons 07:46 AM 10-27-2014
This thread reminded me of a pet funny related to my daycare.

I have a 10 year old kitty cat named grace. She was a rescue as a kitten and has moved around with us over the years. She doesn't like people... Dogs... Other cats... Well.. She's just... Well... grace.

She stays far away from kids... And other animals and hides when inside but stays outside mostly.

I had a daycare kiddo who was behind developmentally in language. Every time grace would come inside I would tell dcg "don't mess with grace. She bites!"
Of course, the cat never bit anyone but that was how I explained to the littles not to touch.

Dcg first words?? While pointing to grace one day... "SHE BITES!! SHE BITES!!" Lol.
permanentvacation 08:33 AM 10-27-2014
cradletocrayons,

lol! That's funny!
permanentvacation 08:44 AM 10-27-2014
Thank you all for replying. I wasn't sure if anyone would bother responding to my simple little question. I have done licensed home daycare for 25 years and have always had a dog and 2 cats (well, for the most part of the 25 years. As each pet died, I did wait a while before getting a new pet, but we would still have the other 2 pets during that time.) Anyway, I have always had pets and allowed them free roam within the daycare room and allowed the children to interact with the pets. I never had any parents fuss about the pets other than a couple of people who either the parent or child had major allergies.

But since I moved to the area I am in now, about 2 years ago, (and this is the lowest income area I have ever lived in) the majority of parents won't even come to an interview because I tell them I have pets and allow the pets in the daycare area. Many of the ones that do come to the interview freak out over the pets. During one interview, the mother and little girl both acted like a lion had just come down the steps when my little 1 year old cat came into the room! They both screamed, the little girl jumped onto the mother's lap, the mother patted her back repeatedly very fast, and even asked if we could continue the interview outside! I told her that if they can't be inside for the interview, I certainly can't watch the little girl all day long every day. That was the end of the interview!

I am trying to figure out how I can block my dog and cats upstairs for most of the day. I just feel really bad about blocking pets in a bedroom all day long, especially when they can hear us downstairs. But I know a lot of pets are put in crates all day while their owners are at work all day. I guess it isn't horrible to block them into a bedroom.
Cradle2crayons 08:57 AM 10-27-2014
Thank you all for replying. I wasn't sure if anyone would bother responding to my simple little question. I have done licensed home daycare for 25 years and have always had a dog and 2 cats (well, for the most part of the 25 years. As each pet died, I did wait a while before getting a new pet, but we would still have the other 2 pets during that time.) Anyway, I have always had pets and allowed them free roam within the daycare room and allowed the children to interact with the pets. I never had any parents fuss about the pets other than a couple of people who either the parent or child had major allergies.

But since I moved to the area I am in now, about 2 years ago, (and this is the lowest income area I have ever lived in) the majority of parents won't even come to an interview because I tell them I have pets and allow the pets in the daycare area. Many of the ones that do come to the interview freak out over the pets. During one interview, the mother and little girl both acted like a lion had just come down the steps when my little 1 year old cat came into the room! They both screamed, the little girl jumped onto the mother's lap, the mother patted her back repeatedly very fast, and even asked if we could continue the interview outside! I told her that if they can't be inside for the interview, I certainly can't watch the little girl all day long every day. That was the end of the interview!

I am trying to figure out how I can block my dog and cats upstairs for most of the day. I just feel really bad about blocking pets in a bedroom all day long, especially when they can hear us downstairs. But I know a lot of pets are put in crates all day while their owners are at work all day. I guess it isn't horrible to block them into a bedroom.
I also disclose pets at first conversation because of asthma issues down south.

But I'm lucky that 99% of people here have pets... Most have a lot of pets.

My little special dcg had never been around ANY pets prior to here. Her mom and most of the family are deathly afraid of cats. But the mom really wanted ky exposed to animals and boy she got that here lol.

I think I'd just have to get more creative advertising. "Pet therapy" maybe? Lol. I wouldn't lock up mine. But I do understand why most do.

Locking up my pets or not having them would be a daycare deal breaker for me.
Hazel 09:16 AM 10-27-2014
I also ALWAYS let people know before they interview that I have two dogs and two cats, more for allergies than anything. I've never had an issue... So sad that people react that way. I have one cat that hates everyone but me and she avoids the 1st floor at all costs when I'm working. If she ever makes an appearance I tell the kids she's mean so they won't touch her but I've also told the parents the same thing. I let them know she avoids the kids so there's never been an issue but that I tell the kids she's mean so they leave her alone (just in case they see her). The parents completely understand and we laugh about it. My dogs are like two more kids around here and everyone loves them. Most dads (and some moms) will call them over for a pet and cuddle when they pick their child up. I don't know what I would do if people started to suddenly dislike my animals... They are part of my family too.
Annalee 09:25 AM 10-27-2014
We have a dog on runner out back NOT near the kids....birds of any kind are a NO-NO due to licensing...I have a beta fish in daycare so that covers my QRIS "live thing" I know of home daycares that have hamsters, gerbals, rabbits, etc....QRIS requires we have a live plant or animal of some kind and it must be on children's level to take care of
taylorw1210 09:41 AM 10-27-2014

It's not horrible to block them into a bedroom - like you said, many are crated all day while their owners are working. However, I understand you not wanting to. I would not want to either.

I always disclose in my ads that I am a dog friendly household. If I am speaking with a referral, they usually know that since they are being referred by a current or past family - but I always make sure to inform them prior to them visiting. I do that to ensure they do not have any allergies.

I have had one family where the children were incredibly afraid of my dog. At the time I had only my boxer, who is the gentlest dog ever. Mom knew how scared of the dog her kids were, but she chose to enroll them because she didn't want them scared of dogs. We were able to work through that issue within 2 weeks.

I have only had one family decline an interview because of my dog, however. She responded to my ad which plainly stated that we are dog-friendly, and when I clarified with her while confirming her interview for later that day, she got mad and claimed I did not state that in my ad. I double checked the ad she responded to, and then copied it to her to show her that I did have that advertised, and she never responded after that and did not interview.

Everyone else has had no problems and enjoy greeting the dogs during drop offs/pick ups. My dogs (I just added another to the family this week) spend a reasonable amount of time in the same area with the daycare kids, but I also separate them to give them some "chill" time. My boxer prefers to be with the kids at all times - I joke that she is my assistant. I also make sure I explain to the families that my animals are current on all vaccinations, and that I have been training/competing with dogs for in obedience, agility, and confirmation for almost 2 decades - so they understand I'm very knowledgeable and am not your average dog owner.
daycarediva 09:51 AM 10-27-2014
What would be a good classroom pet? We have an ant farm and a worm farm. We had a fish (she died from overfeeding, or the crayon thrown in her tank, or both), but the kids weren't really into it.

I looked at turtles (they seem smelly, ecoli/salmonella is concern)

Hermit crabs are sooo neat, but I guess they pinch. HARD.

Rodents smell. We had a rabbit, but she was older when we adopted her and she died this summer.
Meeko 09:52 AM 10-27-2014
My Westie, Gus...gets kissed by every child every morning and kissed again at home time (when he often gets kisses from parents too). He hangs out on the back of the couch, right where folks sign in and out. He's a big snuggle bug all the time.

Pic is with my youngest daughter when she was home sick. He makes a good teddy bear. But not good with the trash can in my bedroom................

All parents know he is part of our family. He comes and goes as he pleases in all areas of our home. I love my daycare kids, but he means more to me and any or all daycare kids will go before he does.
Attached: 10561836_4889520652087_9218682335509875024_n.jpg (37.6 KB) 10411365_4633340247737_6146781812690802730_n.jpg (29.4 KB) 
permanentvacation 09:52 AM 10-27-2014
I never had a problem with having pets in the daycare before I moved to this area. I have created a lot of threads on this forum where I state that the things parents want or don't want are so different in this area then where I used to live. I never had a problem getting kids where I used to live. People loved my daycare and everything I did related to my daycare there. Here, I just can't figure out what parents want and don't want and don't understand why they are so different here than where I used to live.
Unregistered 10:24 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We have a dog on runner out back NOT near the kids....birds of any kind are a NO-NO due to licensing...I have a beta fish in daycare so that covers my QRIS "live thing" I know of home daycares that have hamsters, gerbals, rabbits, etc....QRIS requires we have a live plant or animal of some kind and it must be on children's level to take care of
Seriously?! Because here we can't let children have any access to a pet's food, water, or pottying area (that includes fish!)
Unregistered 10:25 AM 10-27-2014
AND plants are not allowed. They say that technically, we can have them, but they have to be at ceiling level.
Cradle2crayons 10:26 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Why are birds a no no?? Here there are no issues with birds and birds are about the only animal allowed at local schools to visit due to cat and dog allergies.
actually a few weeks ago, I took one of my birds to all of the first grade classes and it was a hit. My phone is still ringing off the hook from teachers wanting to make appointments to meet "Glitter"
Hazel 10:34 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Why are birds a no no?? Here there are no issues with birds and birds are about the only animal allowed at local schools to visit due to cat and dog allergies.
actually a few weeks ago, I took one of my birds to all of the first grade classes and it was a hit. My phone is still ringing off the hook from teachers wanting to make appointments to meet "Glitter"
Maybe they don't allow birds for allergy reasons as well? My daughter is allergic to birds too. Very allergic. We had parakeets once and when they would preen themselves and fluff/ ruffle their feathers a light dust would puff into the air. We had to mist them (per the vet) to keep that dust from passing into the air. We kept them until they passed but never got them again.maybe it was just the type of birds we had but the allergist said its a general bird "thing" and she was allergic to it. It's not nearly as bad as cat or dog dander tho.
SignMeUp 10:38 AM 10-27-2014
There's some disease that they can carry that can be transmitted to people. I'll see if I can find it.

It's chlamydia-psittaci.
melilley 10:42 AM 10-27-2014
We have a lab and he roams freely throughout the house.

I always tell prospective parents, during the first phone call, that I have a dog and he is around the children. I have never had anyone not come to my house because of it. In fact, two of my daycare parents said that they chose me because I have a dog. Ironically, neither of the two families have dogs, but they want their children to be around them.
One family wants to get a dog, you should have seen the smile on the dcd's face when he saw my dog at the interview! Dcg wasn't too fond of my dog when she started, but it's been two weeks in and she will go around him now.

I have to say that I wouldn't like the thought of having to put my dog away during hours, but, if it was turning clients away that I did have one, not just one client, but if it was many, and my livelihood was at stake, I would have to find a way to keep him away from the children. As much as I would hate to do that, it would have to be done.
melilley 10:43 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My Westie, Gus...gets kissed by every child every morning and kissed again at home time (when he often gets kisses from parents too). He hangs out on the back of the couch, right where folks sign in and out. He's a big snuggle bug all the time.

Pic is with my youngest daughter when she was home sick. He makes a good teddy bear. But not good with the trash can in my bedroom................

All parents know he is part of our family. He comes and goes as he pleases in all areas of our home. I love my daycare kids, but he means more to me and any or all daycare kids will go before he does.
He is sooooo cute, I want one!!!!
Cradle2crayons 10:44 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
There's some disease that they can carry that can be transmitted to people. I'll see if I can find it.
Oh yeah, I am aware of the possibility and allergies and diseases etc...

But the risk and incidences of a bird transmitting a disease isn't as high as a cat or dog... I mean worms... Cat scratch fever... And not to mention allergy incidence.

I could more understand if cats and dogs were a licensing no no... But birds?? Ehhhhh
ColorfulSunburst 10:49 AM 10-27-2014
My cat is on the 2nd floor when children are here. All three dogs are in the basement. During nap time I let them be outside.
IMG_1307.jpg
Attached:
jenboo 11:02 AM 10-27-2014
My dogs don't interact with the daycare kids... For the safety of everyone. My dogs are in my bedroom with a dog door to the side yard.
SignMeUp 11:03 AM 10-27-2014
Oh yeah, I am aware of the possibility and allergies and diseases etc...

But the risk and incidences of a bird transmitting a disease isn't as high as a cat or dog... I mean worms... Cat scratch fever... And not to mention allergy incidence.

I could more understand if cats and dogs were a licensing no no... But birds?? Ehhhhh
And aquatic frogs??

Yeah. It's not like much makes sense anymore

Oops. My attitude is showing
permanentvacation 12:10 PM 10-27-2014
Melilly,

That's pretty much what has been happening. The fact that my pets roam freely throughout the daycare area has been costing me my livelihood and as a single mother, I just can't afford to keep having parents turn me down. As much as it's going to upset me and probably my pets too, I think I am going to have to keep them in bedrooms during daycare hours.
Cradle2crayons 12:37 PM 10-27-2014
Melilly,

That's pretty much what has been happening. The fact that my pets roam freely throughout the daycare area has been costing me my livelihood and as a single mother, I just can't afford to keep having parents turn me down. As much as it's going to upset me and probably my pets too, I think I am going to have to keep them in bedrooms during daycare hours.
I'm so sorry this is an issue in yur area... I wish you had other options.
right now I'm feeling so grateful. I can bend and compromise... But with my animals... I dunno....
Cradle2crayons 12:42 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
We have a lab and he roams freely throughout the house.

I always tell prospective parents, during the first phone call, that I have a dog and he is around the children. I have never had anyone not come to my house because of it. In fact, two of my daycare parents said that they chose me because I have a dog. Ironically, neither of the two families have dogs, but they want their children to be around them.
One family wants to get a dog, you should have seen the smile on the dcd's face when he saw my dog at the interview! Dcg wasn't too fond of my dog when she started, but it's been two weeks in and she will go around him now.

I have to say that I wouldn't like the thought of having to put my dog away during hours, but, if it was turning clients away that I did have one, not just one client, but if it was many, and my livelihood was at stake, I would have to find a way to keep him away from the children. As much as I would hate to do that, it would have to be done.
Special late dcg mom, as I was saying in pp, is TERRIFIED of cats. Her mom is also and raised he kids without ANY animals at all. She told dcm and siblings all these old wives tales about cats and they believed them.

This dcm sister comes to pick up the dcb occasionally... Texts me usually before arriving.. So I can put up the dogs and cats because she's actually phobic due to how she was raised. Well, one day I knew she was coming to pick up, but the aunt didn't text me in enough time for me to lock the dog door... Well I hear the dogs barki out front... I walk out the front door to find the aunt ON THE HOOD OF HER CAR...

I laughed so hard I almost peed myself. Now it's a hilarious family joke.

I often have parents pick me due to my diversity with kids and animals.
permanentvacation 01:29 PM 10-27-2014
Cradle2Crayons,

Usually I stand my ground with parents that my pets are part of the household and this is a HOME daycare, so they either accept the pets or they can't attend my daycare. Too many parents have chosen not to attend my daycare because of the pets. So even though I don't want to, I have to give in and keep the pets away from the daycare area.
Cradle2crayons 01:32 PM 10-27-2014
Cradle2Crayons,

Usually I stand my ground with parents that my pets are part of the household and this is a HOME daycare, so they either accept the pets or they can't attend my daycare. Too many parents have chosen not to attend my daycare because of the pets. So even though I don't want to, I have to give in and keep the pets away from the daycare area.
So are they upset you have them or just that they are loose??? I always lock the dogs in my room during interviews and for the first few days of a new client drop off or pick up. Then I let them out.
permanentvacation 03:39 PM 10-27-2014
Many parents here don't want the pets to be around their children (the daycare kids). However, a lot of them don't want pets in the home at all. The ones that are okay with me having pets, then ask if the pets go around the daycare kids or in the daycare room during daycare hours. When I tell them that yes, the pets are free to go in the daycare room and are around the children during the day, many parents flip out and start saying they don't want pets around their child. Then that's often the end of the phone conversation.
permanentvacation 03:47 PM 10-27-2014
When I actually get a parent to come to an interview, they always ask to see my dog and sometimes even the cats. My dog is very friendly - once I let you in the house. So I always have him in my bedroom when a new family comes for the interview. After they are here for a little while, they usually ask to see the dog. I let him out of the room, he comes down the steps and sniffs the family, then either sits in front of one of them to be pet or sits up and puts his front paws on someone that is sitting in a chair to be pet. Even if they are screaming like a wolf just came down the steps, he's all happy and just tries to get them to pet him.

But people don't just freak out about the dog, like I said before, some of them act like my little 1 year old cat is a lion or something! I just have never met so many people that are paranoid of animals.

I'll try to post a pic of my dog to show you what he looks like. He's an Australian Shepherd and comes up to a little under my knee. I guess he's about 2 feet tall.
permanentvacation 03:52 PM 10-27-2014
0926132332.jpg

0704131606.jpg

2013-04-16 09.54.33.jpg

2013-03-30 15.24.51.jpg

My dog is the black and tan one. He's 2 years old now. The other dog is my adult daughter's dog (the husky). He doesn't live here. The pics of when the husky was here was over the weekends when there were no daycare kids here.
Attached:
Annalee 04:46 PM 10-27-2014
Not sure, but I know the Health/Environment inspector doesn't allow it...He comes in twice a year on top of my licensing visits..
Annalee 04:48 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Seriously?! Because here we can't let children have any access to a pet's food, water, or pottying area (that includes fish!)
I have to keep the fish food in a place that is locked. Kids are allowed to drop the food in but we put it back in the locked cabinet. We clean the water together...
PitterPatter 07:44 PM 10-27-2014
I have a Lab mix and she is very much in the mix. This is her home, I chose to adopt her, she is family, family daycare home to me means they accept all of us or pick from the many other daycares. My dog LOVES the kids! She is at her happiest when they are here. They can do anything to her and she doesn't mind. They have tried to dress her up, ribbon her hair, use her as a car ramp when she's lying down, even a pillow. She is very protective of them too. No one can come near the house or yard when they are all outside. At lunch time she lays at their little table and waits for food to drop but never tries to take anything from them. When they get up she turns into a Roomba vaccume cleaner lol Sometimes when they are too busy to play with her she will just lay there beside them and if she just can't wait anymore she will reach over, grab a toy they are playing with and run so they have to chase her. This daycare wouldn't be the same without her. Our licensing lady said they adore her as well and are happy to see the bond.
permanentvacation 08:22 PM 10-27-2014
That's how my dog is with the kid of the very few parents who are comfortable with pets around their child. He lays right beside them while they are playing, the kids pet him, the baby pulls at his hair - just a little, I sit by them and try to teach the baby not to pull the dog's hair, they throw the ball for him and he brings it back to them. He LOVES children and they love him... well, the few whose parents allow them to love dogs. I want him to continue being good around kids and used to them. I am afraid that if I start locking him in a room away from the kids all of the time, he will stop being so good with kids. When I take him walking at the park, I make sure to spend some of the time walking around the playground area just so kids can pet him so he's used to random kids coming up to him while he's out on a walk. He loves the kids at the park petting him.

I just don't understand why so many parents here are scared to death of pets.
I think part of the reason is that here, many parents want home daycares to be more like mini daycare centers, but of course, don't want to pay center prices! Many parents here don't want your daycare HOME to look anything like a home. Therefore, they don't want pets in the daycare.

I don't know what I am going to decide about my pets in my daycare. I've gotten so discouraged with the parents, the children that are raised differently than I raise children, the amount of licensed and illegal childcare in the area to the point that the illegals are actually running the licensed providers out of business, and so many things about doing daycare in this area that I am really considering going out to work instead of doing daycare. I am giving it my last ditch effort for the next few weeks. If I don't get some more kids in a couple of weeks, I think I am going to go out to work.
permanentvacation 08:28 PM 10-27-2014
2013-01-16 12.27.21.jpg

2013-01-16 12.27.52.jpg

I don't have many pics of my dog with the daycare kids. Here's two pics of the same child on the same day petting him. Maybe I should take more pictures of the kids interacting with my dog and show them to the parents and put them on my website with the other pictures of the daycare. I might try that to show parents that my dog is great with the kids and that the kids really love being able to interact with him.
Attached:
Baby Beluga 09:02 PM 10-27-2014
Okay I am going to be the odd man out here. I currently do not have any pets, but I grew up with them and had pets until just a couple of years ago. Throughout my life I have had an iguana, a rabbit, hamsters, fish, a dog, and a cat from the time until I adopted these animals until they passed. Because of this, I would actually never choose an in home who had pets. I would NEVER suggest a provider lock their pet up though, I would just kindly thank them for their time and move along.

I noticed you lived in Maryland, if you don't mind me asking what is the demographic of your clientele? I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this. I am going to word it as PC as possible, so if I do offend anyone I am truly sorry as it is not my intent. I ask because my husband is African American as is his family. He never had pets growing up, nor did his friends or extended family. In fact, they never had exposure to any animals. One day I was talking about this with his aunt who explained to me that many African American families feared animals and pets and therefore were never exposed to them. She also mentioned that being poor (her words not mine) played a role in no one ever having pets as it was just one more mouth to feed. Even as an adult she is fearful of pets. Is this perhaps a possibility for your potential clients?
Cradle2crayons 09:18 PM 10-27-2014
Attachment 3047

Attachment 3048

I don't have many pics of my dog with the daycare kids. Here's two pics of the same child on the same day petting him. Maybe I should take more pictures of the kids interacting with my dog and show them to the parents and put them on my website with the other pictures of the daycare. I might try that to show parents that my dog is great with the kids and that the kids really love being able to interact with him.
That is prob a good idea. I have literally hundreds of photos of dck with our different animals. Even a couple of the birds. I actually, with parents permission, use the dck in different ways to help train my birds.

The special dcg that died in September... Out of the hundreds of pics I have of her... I think only a handful didn't include an animal of some sort...it was even a family joke of spot the tiny little ky among all of the critters!! One thing her family spoke about at the funeral... Was how much of an impact the animals played in KY's life. I think it was the other way around though....

Pic published w dcm permission....
Attached: image.jpg (79.1 KB) 
Cradle2crayons 09:21 PM 10-27-2014
lol yet another.
Attached: image.jpg (94.6 KB) 
permanentvacation 10:15 PM 10-27-2014
Baby Beluga,

You have a point. Around here, with the African Americans, they are either pit bull owners or scared to death of pets. You do find an occasional African American who has a regular little fluffy dog. But you don't see that often here. I have mentioned many times on this forum that this is the lowest income area that I have lived in. I never thought of the fact that the lower a person's income is, the less chance of them owning a pet simply because it's an additional expense. So, that might be why so many other nationalities around here are scared of pets. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I could probably split my parents into categories of parents that are okay with me having pets are 1. pit bull owners and 2. parents that are more financially comfortable than my typical parent, and parents that are scared to death of pets are 1. African Americans and 2. low income parents Wow! I never would have realized that!

Okay, so, now that I think I might understand the reason the people of this area react to pets the way they do, I still need to figure out what to do about my pets and my daycare so hopefully more people will hire me.

I think I will add some pictures of my pets with the daycare kids to my website so parents can see that my dog is good with kids and that the kids enjoy petting my dog. I really don't want to have to put my pets in a room all day.
permanentvacation 05:29 AM 10-28-2014
Okay, thanks to Baby Beluga helping me understand the parents in my area, I have decided what I am going to do. I will finish taking my carpet up and finishing the hardwood floors, continue to advertise for daycare, and raise my rates so that hopefully, I will get more parents that are better off financially and can pay the rate I'd rather be paid, and more than likely, those parents will be just fine with my pets. There we go, In the end, hopefully I will make more money and be able to keep my pets in the daycare room.
katzan 07:15 AM 10-28-2014
I let parents know that I have pets before they even come in for an interview just in case it is an issue. My cats have free roam of the house but are barely anywhere but my bedroom, maybe occasionally on the couch. My dogs roam freely when the kids are in the daycare/playroom but if we are in the main part of the house, the dogs get crated. They don't bother the daycare kids but I prefer them to be crated anyways since usually when the kids are out of the playroom, they are typically eating, and I hate the begging at the table thing. We even crate them when my own family is eating dinner.

Our playroom has a gate up at the door by the way.
Baby Beluga 09:46 AM 10-28-2014
Okay, thanks to Baby Beluga helping me understand the parents in my area, I have decided what I am going to do. I will finish taking my carpet up and finishing the hardwood floors, continue to advertise for daycare, and raise my rates so that hopefully, I will get more parents that are better off financially and can pay the rate I'd rather be paid, and more than likely, those parents will be just fine with my pets. There we go, In the end, hopefully I will make more money and be able to keep my pets in the daycare room.

Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up