Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding fees
mac60 04:52 AM 07-16-2009
Home providers, do you charge a holding fee for families when you have an opening and a family wants it, but they don't need it for weeks or even 2 or 3 months?

And when you are watching a current child, and the mom is pg, and you will be taking on the new baby too, do you charge a holding fee for the upcoming infant?

I personally don't currently charge holding fees, but depending on the situation in the future, I may start. I had a situation where I held a spot for 4 months, and when the child was due to start, the parent said she was afraid of dogs.....I had 2, the parent knew it, and I held a spot for 4 months, passed up numerous calls, and in the end I lost out big time.

Parents need to understand that when we agree to take on an upcoming infant, that we must "hold" a spot for that infant, not only that, many times we lose income from the first child while on maternity leave. Just wondering how others handle these situations.
tymaboy 05:56 AM 07-16-2009
If I get calls for the spot that I have open (or will have open) I will charge the holding fee but if I do not receive any calls I do not charge the holding fee.
seashell 05:57 AM 07-16-2009
I ask for 2 weeks up front. One week as a security deposit which is applied to the child's last week if the account is in good standing. The other is applied to first week of care. The parents understand that they are not losing this money if they attend, but If they decide not to come, the money is not refunded. Without the money AND a signed contract being received, I do not hold the space. Check out my policies at www.gigglepatchdaycare.com

Good luck!
judytrickett 01:11 PM 07-16-2009
I ask for a holding fee equal to two weeks care per month for anyone who wants a spot more than two months out. And, I always get a deposit equal to two weeks fees from the parents when they sign and return the contract.
Unregistered 04:48 AM 07-19-2009
The two week deposit applied to the first and last week of care is a good idea. I do not currently do that, but I am going to start. I have only been in business 1 year and have already had three instances where this policy would have saved me some heartache. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't care if they screw you over. So if you make parents put their money where their mouth is, you will more likely have parents do what they agreed to. If not, at least you had some compensation.
SimpleMom 05:12 PM 07-22-2009
yes, I do. If they are starting up in a day and I won't, but the spot is open until the contract is signed. I do charge a holding fee, with a contract signed, if it's going out a ways. If they are already here and the mom is pregnant, I would still charge a holding fee.
Reply Up