Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Covering Mouth
Baby Beluga 02:09 PM 11-13-2017
At what age do your children begin to cover their mouth when coughing and sneezing?

I have two 2 year old children (fairly new two's) who never cover their mouth. One has sneezed probably 50 times today. It's disgusting.

I've had children as young as 14 months cover when coughing/sneezing. Just wondering if I am expecting too much when expecting 2 year old children to do the same...
Josiegirl 02:47 AM 11-14-2017
Nothing drives me crazier when colds are going around, than kids who cough or sneeze into the wind!! Ugh, you can just picture all those germs floating in the air or worse, around a lunch table. Gross!!!!
I don't know if it's too much to expect 2 yos to cover with their elbow or not. I'm finding it difficult to have 4 yos think to cover the coughs/sneezes. I lived with an adult who wouldn't. Used to gross me out sooo much. That, plus using a hankie all the time. Just yuck.
CeriBear 03:50 AM 11-14-2017
I work with 3-4 year olds and some of them do a good job remembering to cover their mouths while others don’t. I teach them to do this in my class and most of them are getting pretty good at not just sneezing or coughing into the air. I try to teach them to use their elbow but a few of them use their hands. When they do this I have them wash their hands.
I’ve also been teaching them to use a tissue to wipe their nose instead of their sleeve. One day a boy let out a really loud sneeze. He did remember to cover his mouth and nose but instead of going over to get a tissue he simply wiped is nose on his sleeve—yuck.
Sherrihoos 08:22 AM 11-14-2017
Two year olds can begin covering their mouths. They usually don’t remember to do it so I show them every time they cough/sneeze and say “remember we cover our mouths when we cough” someday they will get it!
Baby Beluga 08:38 AM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Nothing drives me crazier when colds are going around, than kids who cough or sneeze into the wind!! Ugh, you can just picture all those germs floating in the air or worse, around a lunch table. Gross!!!!
I don't know if it's too much to expect 2 yos to cover with their elbow or not. I'm finding it difficult to have 4 yos think to cover the coughs/sneezes. I lived with an adult who wouldn't. Used to gross me out sooo much. That, plus using a hankie all the time. Just yuck.
Yes! It is absolutely the most disgusting thing. This child is so bad with covering his mouth that the other children have started to complain because he is "getting them wet"
daycarediva 09:09 AM 11-14-2017
Huge pet peeve of mine. Honestly, I have had kids as young as 18 months do it, it's just consistency and modeling- but if parents don't do it at home as well you won't have the same consistency and success.

I just remind them "Use your elbow" and we talk about it at circle time. I have done units on germs for my class as well. Putting glitter in hand soap and "sneezing" it into their hands, and having them wash the germs away. etc. That helps some. I had a kid last year after that unit that would yell "YOUR GERMS ARE MAKING ME SICK!"
Baby Beluga 07:58 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Huge pet peeve of mine. Honestly, I have had kids as young as 18 months do it, it's just consistency and modeling- but if parents don't do it at home as well you won't have the same consistency and success.

I asked mom for support with this and to practice it at home. Hopefully with her reminders and mine, DCB will catch on.

I just remind them "Use your elbow" and we talk about it at circle time. I have done units on germs for my class as well. Putting glitter in hand soap and "sneezing" it into their hands, and having them wash the germs away. etc. That helps some. I had a kid last year after that unit that would yell "YOUR GERMS ARE MAKING ME SICK!"

storybookending 08:05 AM 11-15-2017
A 2 year old sneezed on my head today as I was lifting her off the changing table.. I laughed and thought of this thread
Tags:coughing, covering mouth, illness, sneezing
Reply Up