Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nursing Mom Update
laundrymom 10:00 AM 12-16-2010
she came in with 2 1/2oz at 730 this morning, I fed her at 11, she was still crying, but I got her to sleep, at noon I texted, do you want to being me milk or have me feed formula? at 115 I could handle it no more, I fixed her 4 oz formula,... she ate it,... at 130 mom texted, on way with 3 oz milk. .... so she has eaten 4 oz formula, I have 3 oz in fridge and Im saving that for tomorrow! I told mom she ate the formula because I couldnt stop her from crying,... and I couldnt handle it anymore. I told her she is probably eating 4 - 6 ounces at a feed, not 2 ounces. told her about the brewers yeast, the feungreek (sp?) and told her I was worried about her. She is trying a different pump power supply, plug in instead of battery, she has a friend who is loaning a cord to her. I told her I was sorry for texting so much but that I didnt know what to do,... she was hungry and I was crying,... it was not good.

she understands,...

and from now on Im going to be telling her exactly what its like not to be able to feed a crying baby when I need to.
MG&Lsmom 10:18 AM 12-16-2010
I just went and read the other thread. Poor baby and poor mama. Everything everyone suggested is good. I could never pump with my first. With my 2nd I had more than I needed. And she never ever drank breastmilk from a bottle. She would take maybe an oz all day (8-9hrs) and nurse all afternoon, evening, right through the night and into the morning. It was insane.

One other thing not suggested, and I don't know where you different states have different insurance regs, but she should talk to her OB and her Pedi and see if she can get a prescription for a hospital grade pump. They are huge, loud but effective. I used them when my DDs were in the NICU and I swear it was the only reason I started producing like I did. Battery powered ones are worthless unless it's for 1-2x occasional night out pumping. She should be drinking 10-12 8oz glasses of water a day too. Maybe more. Water was always key with me. Every time I sat to nurse or pump I drank a whole glass.

Good luck to you both!
misol 10:28 AM 12-16-2010
This is so sad. I totally understand the providers prospective but I feel for the mom too. I remember how hard it was working full time and trying to pump and nurse during breaks. It was so tough and the stress of knowing that your milk supply may not be sufficient is enough to drive you insane. I was totally committed and was going to breastfeed come hell or high water so I chose a daycare that was VERY near my job at the time. When I got to the point where I couldn't pump enough anymore I would split my lunch break into 20 minute segments so I could go across the street to the daycare 3 times a day to nurse my kids. I knew that if I didn't do that I would have to supplement with formula and that was not an option for me. I was mentally and physically drained but I was also doing what I knew was best for my kids. I realy hope the mom has some success with the new pump and some of the other suggestions that prev posters have made for increasing her supply.
laundrymom 11:00 AM 12-16-2010
Me too,.. I love this family dearly, this is one of the ones we invite camping with us,... I have been cringing at the thought of the baby being here, simply because I know how fussy she has been. Not now,.. she is happy and sleeping now. i just know she was hungry. I wish
she could just come feed but she is too far away and she has a 3 yr old who would not be good if that happened.

Originally Posted by misol:
This is so sad. I totally understand the providers prospective but I feel for the mom too. I remember how hard it was working full time and trying to pump and nurse during breaks. It was so tough and the stress of knowing that your milk supply may not be sufficient is enough to drive you insane. I was totally committed and was going to breastfeed come hell or high water so I chose a daycare that was VERY near my job at the time. When I got to the point where I couldn't pump enough anymore I would split my lunch break into 20 minute segments so I could go across the street to the daycare 3 times a day to nurse my kids. I knew that if I didn't do that I would have to supplement with formula and that was not an option for me. I was mentally and physically drained but I was also doing what I knew was best for my kids. I realy hope the mom has some success with the new pump and some of the other suggestions that prev posters have made for increasing her supply.

Francine 11:14 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
One other thing not suggested, and I don't know where you different states have different insurance regs, but she should talk to her OB and her Pedi and see if she can get a prescription for a hospital grade pump. They are huge, loud but effective. I used them when my DDs were in the NICU and I swear it was the only reason I started producing like I did.
I worked at a medical supply company while I was on break from daycare, they also rented the hospital grade pumps if her insurance won't pay for her to buy one. The pump is the only thing that is rented, the supplies are all new.
MommyD 11:22 AM 12-16-2010
First off, great job encouraging mom and at the same time watching out for this dcg!

I just want to throw this out there to remind you and everyone...crying is normal. There is a name for young infants' crying called "The Period of Purple Crying". This little dcg is just on the down swing from the peak which tends to be around 6wks old. For more, check out http://www.myspace.com/shaken_baby_s...blog/279464686 for a chart of "The Crying Curve of Normal Infants" and http://www.purplecrying.info/

With that being said, I also agree this baby needs more milk or supplementing during the hours in care. Be careful not to push it to the other extreme and give her too much. This could end up unintentionally sabotaging the mother/child breastfeeding relationship and the benefits to both of them. I second the suggestion of checking out kellymom.com or have her talk with the doctor and request a written note from the doctor detailing their plan.

Good Luck! Keep us posted with any further troubles or soulutions.
AmandasFCC 11:39 AM 12-16-2010
There are also prescriptions you can take to increase milk supply. I had to go that way, my dd wouldn't latch when she was born and pumping took too long, and she reacted poorly to formula so really we had few options. When she started losing weight I had to do something, so dr. prescribed me something (I can't remember what anymore, sorry!), plus I took Fenugreek and drank a tea that increases milk supply (contains all the herbs that help with milk production, again it was a couple years ago and I forget the specifics) .... I found the tea online, it was made by a lactation consultant. I had my lactation consultant check it out before I took it, and it worked wonderfully.
Tags:breastfeeding, nursing
Reply Up