Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default How Much To Charge For Half Day?

I have a 3 day a week vacancy that I've been trying to fill for a while. I have a family interested but they only want a half day. I'm happy to offer that as they admitted their child doesn't nap

But, I have no idea how much to charge? Is there a standard formula or calculation for figuring half day? I'm open 7.30 to 5.45 and offer 10 hours for $80 a day.

They will likely drop off at 8am and want to pick up before lunch, which is served at 12pm. I don't really want to get into hourly rates in case they try to drop hours later on.

How much would you charge for the morning?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepping View Post
I have a 3 day a week vacancy that I've been trying to fill for a while. I have a family interested but they only want a half day. I'm happy to offer that as they admitted their child doesn't nap

But, I have no idea how much to charge? Is there a standard formula or calculation for figuring half day? I'm open 7.30 to 5.45 and offer 10 hours for $80 a day.

They will likely drop off at 8am and want to pick up before lunch, which is served at 12pm. I don't really want to get into hourly rates in case they try to drop hours later on.

How much would you charge for the morning?
You make $80 a day per child? Did I read that right?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yes, that's on the low end of average in the city. Mortgage, taxes etc are very high!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Family Childcare Provider

Wow!! I thought childcare was expensive here in the SF Bay Area! $50/day is on the high end! I would charge 1/2 the rate at that price... If you really want to fill the spot that is.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

With your rates I'd charge $40 for the four hours.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Hurt Betrayed Confused

$80 a day???

I'll just speak in percentages, because I can't even wrap my mind around $80 a day. (I get $27 for a full day.) Anyway, so for a half day, I would charge 60% of my full-day rate.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepping View Post
Yes, that's on the low end of average in the city. Mortgage, taxes etc are very high!
Omg! I must be in the wrong state! I'm in Iowa and I get $20-$23 a day per child!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Daycare.com Member

I know it seems high but I live in a neighborhood with a very high cost of living (our real estate taxes alone are more than $1000 a month).

My two closest competitors charge 90 and 100 per day for part timers and I have more qualifications and experience than both of those providers.

To compete here we have to offer all organic food, 1:4 ratio at all age groups, professional music teachers etc. Its pretty competitive

Thanks for the input, 60% seems fair.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 PM
Hurt Betrayed Confused

I hope you don't think we were being rude! More power to you. We're jealous!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

No, I don't think anyone was rude.

I'm the first to admit I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to success and money. I come from very humble beginnings (my wonderful mum was a teen parent who raised three of us single handed) and I can get defensive at times about these subjects.

I also know that I would not be able to pay my own rates. Which is one of the reasons I kept my rates lower than the other providers.

It's crazy how much people have to pay for child care in this city!!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would charge $40.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 AM

I allow half days fro regularly enrolled families only.

I charge $20 for a half day (regular daily rate breaks down to about $29-33 per day).

Half days are offered in 2 blocks of time.

A.M. block is 8:00-11:30
P.M. block is 1:30-5:00

Half days can NOT include lunch or nap time.

Personally I wouldn't enroll a family for 3 half days a week. I offer 3 days a week care but charge a flat rate for it.

Anything less than 3 full days is considered drop in.

Tags
half day care, rates, tuition