Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time vs Full Time
Chatter Box 07:44 AM 02-19-2013
Just wanted to see if I am on track here. How many hours do you all consider your Part Time bracket?

I consider 25 hours or less part time and anything over 25 hours is full time. I get some crazy looks sometimes from parents when I tell them what I consider part time.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 02-19-2013
Part time for me is 3 days or less. I don't count by hours only days.
Reply
williams2008 07:51 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Chatter Box:
Just wanted to see if I am on track here. How many hours do you all consider your Part Time bracket?

I consider 25 hours or less part time and anything over 25 hours is full time. I get some crazy looks sometimes from parents when I tell them what I consider part time.
25 or less is part-time here as well.
Reply
mamac 08:10 AM 02-19-2013
I am planning on 27 hours as part time and 45 hours for full time. I figure an 8 hour work day plus an hour commute time each day would be 9 hours x 3 days. I'm not sure how it's going to work when I actually open, but that's what I'm shooting for.
Reply
daycaremom76 08:12 AM 02-19-2013
I consider part-time 3 days or less too. I do my rates based on days and not hours. Even if someone is here for only 4hrs a day they are still charged a full daily rate.
Reply
LaLa1923 08:12 AM 02-19-2013
Three or more days a week is full time. Anything less than that is part time.
Reply
MamaBearCanada 08:33 AM 02-19-2013
Full time is 5 days a week. I charge monthly in advance but works out to $35/day

Part time is anything less than 5 days a week. $40/day or $20/a half day either 8-12 or 12-4 anything overlapping that is a full day.

However, at the moment I don't have any parttime kids.
Reply
melilley 08:35 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Part time for me is 3 days or less. I don't count by hours only days.
Same here. I have a 2 day minimum though. Does that seem to work out well? I don't want to mess with hourly or anything for part time that's why I thought I would do part time daily only.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Same here. I have a 2 day minimum though. Does that seem to work out well? I don't want to mess with hourly or anything for part time that's why I thought I would do part time daily only.
My minimum is 3 days a week. If someone wants 2 days a week they are billed at pretty much the drop in rate.

I also offer half days but half days are either morning or afternoon and can not include lunch time or rest time.

I think it works out great and really limits the coming and going and accomodating all the various schedules and shifts parents have.

I am actually considering switching this summer to ONE weekly rate no matter if a child needs 1,2,3,4 or 5 days. One space = one rate.

Even easier.
Reply
canadiancare 09:17 AM 02-19-2013
My idea of part-time is less than 5 days a week. I don't accept any children part-time unless they can find someone to share the spot with. I currently have 2 teachers sharing one spot with grandparents doing off days. Since I am only allowed 5 kids I am not willing to be flexible on this.

I figure if I am up and open I might as well be full.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 10:02 AM 02-19-2013
I consider FT to be 4 or 5 days and since a full day for me is 10 hours long that would mean that FT would be 3 days or less so for me 30 hours or less is PT.
Reply
Unregistered 10:59 AM 02-19-2013
What would you consider 5 days per week from 12:30 to 5:15. They are taking up a full time slot but not the full time hours. Would you charge ft rate, or give a small discount, like $10 off the ft rate.
Reply
itlw8 12:50 PM 02-19-2013
P/t is 3 SET days ( no switching or rotating) If they need 4 days it cost the same as f/t so I give them the option of using the 5th day as long as they tell me in advance.

anything less than 3 days is drop in and charged a higher fee UNLESS they use the 2 days not used by a 3 day p/t child
Reply
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What would you consider 5 days per week from 12:30 to 5:15. They are taking up a full time slot but not the full time hours. Would you charge ft rate, or give a small discount, like $10 off the ft rate.
5 days a week whether here for one hour or 9 hours is still 5 days so that would be my FULL weekly rate.

I would NEVER give a discount to someone who is attending 5 days week unless you could find someone to fill the space around them.

Plus 12:30 drop off is smack in the middle of my busiest time of the day and for me that is harder to deal with NOT easier.

Bottom line is if you have access to the full time space, you are billed the full time rate.
Reply
Mom&Provider 01:10 PM 02-19-2013
My min. is 3 days per week which is considered P/T. If a child came from open to close on those days only (3 days) they would be here 28 1/2 hours per week, so I think your 25 hr/wk rule is fair.
Reply
Mom&Provider 01:12 PM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
5 days a week whether here for one hour or 9 hours is still 5 days so that would be my FULL weekly rate.

I would NEVER give a discount to someone who is attending 5 days week unless you could find someone to fill the space around them.

Plus 12:30 drop off is smack in the middle of my busiest time of the day and for me that is harder to deal with NOT easier.

Bottom line is if you have access to the full time space, you are billed the full time rate.
I agree with BC. If someone wanted 5 days starting a noon or not, I would bill the F/T rate and not offer a discount!
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 03:16 PM 02-19-2013
Kids are here 9 hours per day. My part time kids are here 27 hours per week (3 days) or 18 hours per week (2 days).

Others are here around 45 hours per week. Never more (unless they're late and they're charged accordingly!).
Reply
wahmof3 03:57 PM 02-19-2013
My PT is 2 days or less and must be same 2 days every week. So FT is 3 or more days.

State paid PT is 7-24.9 hours
Reply
MarinaVanessa 04:33 PM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What would you consider 5 days per week from 12:30 to 5:15. They are taking up a full time slot but not the full time hours. Would you charge ft rate, or give a small discount, like $10 off the ft rate.
5 days a week no matter how many hours a day a client needs would be considered FT for me as well.

I actually word it like this:
 Full-Time: Full-time care is defined as a minimum of four (4) days a week with a maximum of fifty (50) hours a week and a maximum of ten (10) hours per day.

 Part-Time: Part-time is defined as three (3) or less days a week, a maximum of 29 hours per week and a maximum of ten (10) hours per day.
Reply
nanglgrl 09:36 PM 02-19-2013
Part time for me is 20 hours or less. I have one child that is here from 7:40-12:20 M-F and she pays my full time rate. I have another who comes 8:30-3:30 M,T and F and they also pay the full time rate. I always carefully consider the schedule and how it will work with my business hours of 7:30-3:30 before signing them on though. My clients also pay for contracted hours so the person that is picked up at 12:20 can't stay until 3:30 unless they want to pay extra or make that their set schedule, same goes with the client who pays full time and comes M,T,F, they cant just decide they want to come Tuesday and Thursday.
Reply
DaisyMamma 08:28 AM 02-20-2013
I think 25 hours is reasonable for part time. It probably depends more on what you charge.
Reply
Tags:days per week, full time vs part time, hours per day
Reply Up