Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle the CRAZY?!
momneedscoffee 11:16 AM 08-14-2015
It seems as if every day there is a certain time when everyone, including myself, goes totally cuckoo! I am new to this, so maybe it is something I am doing/not doing. My 3 yr old son is VERY strong willed and is 100% the ring leader of my little crazy circus. I also have a 6 mo old daughter and care for a 3 yr old dcb + 15 mo old dcg. I am wanting advice/tips on how to handle it when it feels like all sense of control has been lost. It usually goes something like this: I am occupied cooking lunch, feeding my baby, etc. The 3 yr olds attention spans last about 5 minutes max so I can't find anything to occupy them. Pretty soon those 2 are fighting over something, dcg is crying & my daughter is crying or will soon be crying bc I will need to stop feeding her to referee the older boys. It is usually the time of day when my patience is already wearing thin. SO, any suggestions/words of wisdom on how I can better handle/prevent these types of situations? Any advice on raising a strong willed, do it myself, mischievous child?
daycarediva 11:29 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee:
It seems as if every day there is a certain time when everyone, including myself, goes totally cuckoo! I am new to this, so maybe it is something I am doing/not doing. My 3 yr old son is VERY strong willed and is 100% the ring leader of my little crazy circus. I also have a 6 mo old daughter and care for a 3 yr old dcb + 15 mo old dcg. I am wanting advice/tips on how to handle it when it feels like all sense of control has been lost. It usually goes something like this: I am occupied cooking lunch, feeding my baby, etc. The 3 yr olds attention spans last about 5 minutes max so I can't find anything to occupy them. Pretty soon those 2 are fighting over something, dcg is crying & my daughter is crying or will soon be crying bc I will need to stop feeding her to referee the older boys. It is usually the time of day when my patience is already wearing thin. SO, any suggestions/words of wisdom on how I can better handle/prevent these types of situations? Any advice on raising a strong willed, do it myself, mischievous child?
When I took infants, I would set each child up before feeding or changing with one activity on a blanket, towel, carpet square. They are required to stay put. It takes a bit of training.

You could try reading a book to them all, or putting on music while you make lunch, setting them all at the table with puzzle, crayons/paper, busy bags or sensory bottles.

HTH!
childcaremom 11:31 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
When I took infants, I would set each child up before feeding or changing with one activity on a blanket, towel, carpet square. They are required to stay put. It takes a bit of training.

You could try reading a book to them all, or putting on music while you make lunch, setting them all at the table with puzzle, crayons/paper, busy bags or sensory bottles.

HTH!
I've done both of these.

And I try to get as much prep done before kiddos arrive (chop veggies, fill pots, etc).
nothingwithoutjoy 05:53 PM 08-14-2015
If it's the same time every day, and you're fried, too, maybe you need to shift naptime up a bit earlier. It may be that everyone is exhausted.

A few years ago I shifted my naptime--which had been 1 to 3 for years, to 12 to 2. Made a world of difference for us.
momneedscoffee 08:22 AM 08-16-2015
Some days I do! If everything is starting to feel crazy I have lunch earlier- 11 or 1130 and nap at 12. Even if they take longer to fall asleep it is at least calm and quiet. The problem is, the one dcb comes later on some days so he isn't always tired by that time. Same with my son. Sometimes he wakes up early and some days much later.
Tags:advice, discipline, help me, strong willed
Reply Up