Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much is Everyone Spending Per Week Per Kid For Food?
sahm2three 05:11 PM 07-20-2010
I think I am doing well, but am not getting reimbursed hardly anything! I am spending about $100 per week for essentially 8 dc kids. My own three eat as well, but we spend about $400 on per month for just our family. That is Two meals a day and two snacks. Does that sound high or low? I am only getting around $30 or so per week from the food program. Not really worth all the work, but for now I am going to keep up with it. I think I live in a lower cost of living area. What are you all spending?
TGT09 05:35 PM 07-20-2010
I spend in between $80-100 for 7 dckids for 2 snacks and 1 meal for 5....if that makes sense to anyone else. :-)
JenNJ 05:43 PM 07-20-2010
I spend about $40 a week for 19 lunches and 40 snacks per week. I am a major coupon queen though.
booroo 06:01 PM 07-20-2010
I spend 500 a month for our family(6) and 3 daycare kids some times 6 daycare kids.... I do 2 meals and 2 snacks... I don't do seperate, I just feed everyone the same.
I do coupons and sales!
safechner 07:46 PM 07-20-2010
I spend $20 a month for two daycare kids 2 snacks and one meal. I spend $400-$500 a month for the summer only for four of family. Once the girls are in school and I spend $300 to $400 a month.
tmcp2001 08:41 PM 07-20-2010
I spend roughly $600/month. That feeds my family (6 people) and 6 dck's (two meals and one snack/day). I'm also a coupon junkie! Bought $226 worth of food tonight for $165.
SunflowerMama 06:45 AM 07-21-2010
I spend about $125-$150 a week for my family and the dcks (3) and my 2 that eat the exact same meals (2 meals and 2 snacks) and then get reimbursed about $130/month from the food program.
momma2girls 09:24 AM 07-21-2010
I know if I make something in the crockpot for supper, grilled out food, spaghetti, lasagna, etc.. etc.... there are always leftovers from these items, so whatever is left over I serve it to the daycare that week one day, if not two days that week. THis really saves on the bills as well.
Lilbutterflie 10:02 AM 07-21-2010
I use grocerygame.com and save about 40-50% on my grocery bill each week. It tells you what the best sales are at your grocery store, and which week's newspaper to look in to find coupons to use for the sale items. My grocery bill is $100-$120 each week (including toiletries and cleaning supplies) for my family of 4 and 3 dck's (occasionally 8 kids total when my nieces and nephew are over for the day). This past week, I got over $250 in groceries at Kroger for $120.
boysx5 11:51 AM 07-21-2010
I spend at least a 1000.00 a month on groceries I have five boys and my husband and I plus I now have 7 daycare kids and everyone is eating me out of house and home I will see how much the food program is when I get my first check with this many kids not sure if the program is worth it or not.
Unregistered 12:17 PM 07-21-2010
I spend 25.00 - 35.00 shopping exclusively at the $1.00 store for 10 kids

Sample menu:

Breakfast: eggs/ toast $2.00
milk: 1.00 (half gallon last 2 days)
Snack: animal crackers or apple slicees $1.00
Lunch: beanie weenies, salad, roll $3.00

I also have parents provide afternoon snack by each taking turns bringing in
peanut butter crackers, carrot sticks, cheese string etc.

Whatever the kids don't eat I recycle and freeze. For example today there were a lot of beanie weenies left on plates so I scooped them back up into a bowl, added more beans and placed in ziploc with squirt of bbq sauce for next month.

I also recycle the eggs and serve for lunch over potatoes or mix with rice and ketchup. Yum.

There was some salad left over and I chop it up finely and add to beef stew (.99 store soup aisle, just add beef broth cube). Delish.

If my kids don't finish their milk I recycle and add chocolate syrup to it. They love it. You can also add strawberry syrup.

Sometimes I buy a can of day old biscuits, smash down flat and add spaghetti sauce on top (.99 store) and eggs. There's so much you can do with so little.

I often buy day old donuts or break SLIGHTLY molded, cut off mold and make pudding or sandwiches.

By doing this I'm clearing about 900.00 week. If you want more of my ideas I'll send you a link to my ebook on cheap meals.
HeatherB 07:56 PM 07-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Whatever the kids don't eat I recycle and freeze. For example today there were a lot of beanie weenies left on plates so I scooped them back up into a bowl, added more beans and placed in ziploc with squirt of bbq sauce for next month.

If my kids don't finish their milk I recycle and add chocolate syrup to it. They love it. You can also add strawberry syrup.

I cannot believe that you RECYCLE milk that is not drank from others. YUCK
I also cannot believe that you strap their plates off and recycle the scraps per say... I am sorry by my child would not be coming to your daycare.

nannyde 03:34 AM 07-22-2010

Sample menu:

I also recycle the eggs and serve for lunch over potatoes or mix with rice and ketchup. Yum.

There was some salad left over and I chop it up finely and add to beef stew (.99 store soup aisle, just add beef broth cube). Delish.

Sometimes I buy a can of day old biscuits, smash down flat and add spaghetti sauce on top (.99 store) and eggs. There's so much you can do with so little.

I often buy day old donuts or break SLIGHTLY molded, cut off mold and make pudding or sandwiches.

By doing this I'm clearing about 900.00 week. If you want more of my ideas I'll send you a link to my ebook on cheap meals.
:eek Oh my goodness. I guess the only saving grace is that you freeze the leftovers so there's a chance that whatever germs are in each child's partially eaten food will be killed by deep freezing.

You can't be on the food program. A half gallon of milk wouldn't last one day with ten kids if you were just giving it at breakfast and llunch. Children between one and three need four ounces per meal and the three to fives need six ounces. There is only 64 ounces in a half gallon so this would mean you would be using only 32 ounces per day for 10 kids. That would average a total between all meals of 3.2 ounces per kid. That's not enough to do just one meal for the under three crowd.

Do the parents realize their kids are eating food from the freezer that was leftover from other kids plates? Do they realize you are cutting off the VISIBLE mold and serving the rest of the donuts?

YIKES
Vesta 05:53 AM 07-22-2010

Sample menu:

I can't tell if the winky emoticon means this poster is just messing with us or not.
There's no way on earth anyone would actually be doing that.
That's just gross.
If it's a joke, HAHAHAHA.
If not, ewwwwwww.
Pammie 11:50 AM 07-21-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I know if I make something in the crockpot for supper, grilled out food, spaghetti, lasagna, etc.. etc.... there are always leftovers from these items, so whatever is left over I serve it to the daycare that week one day, if not two days that week. THis really saves on the bills as well.
I LOVE my crockpot!!
I do this too and it not only save me $ but so much time in preparing lunches!!
It's so easy to drop in a couple extra veges and pieces of meat into the crockpot - or add a couple of extra pieces of chicken to the grill.

We have crockpot meals for dinner a couple of times each week - and the next day that's the daycare lunch! Except for Fridays which is always soup and sandwich day around here:-)
JenNJ 05:07 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I LOVE my crockpot!!
I do this too and it not only save me $ but so much time in preparing lunches!!
It's so easy to drop in a couple extra veges and pieces of meat into the crockpot - or add a couple of extra pieces of chicken to the grill.

We have crockpot meals for dinner a couple of times each week - and the next day that's the daycare lunch! Except for Fridays which is always soup and sandwich day around here:-)
Fridays are homemade pizza day here.

Another way I save $$ on produce is my veggie garden. I spend about $20 in the spring on seeds and we have fresh produce all summer and fall. Some things like raspberries, tomatoes, and onions are a one time investment and they come back each year bigger than ever!

For example, this week I have a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes coming in, so that has been our veggie side with lunch. Cucumbers and tomatoes with ranch dip - yum!

I *think* the seeds cost me $.85 a packet and I only planted about half the seeds this season, so I have more than enough left over to plant again next spring. Plus, the planting and caring for the veggie garden works wonderfully into my lesson plans!
Unregistered 10:21 AM 07-21-2010
I spend 500 to 600 a month for my family of 5 and 2 daycare kids my kids eat the same as daycare kids for breakfest, lunch , and snack if I just counted daycare food it would probably be around 150 a month
Tags:food costs
Reply Up