Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When A Family Member Has A Contagious Illness...
AfterSchoolMom 02:21 PM 02-13-2012
If a sibling or parent has a contagious illness, do you ask the parents to keep the child at home if they aren't yet sick?

I'm still in my first trimester of pregnancy, and DCD is home sick with a stomach virus. DCM stayed home today to take care of DCD, but they brough their child here anyway.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should be really bothered by this. I'm already plagued with nausea and vomiting day and night, so I'm having trouble keeping hydrated as is. If I come down with this, I'll end up in the ER, which is going to be very expensive.

On the other hand, it's not a guarantee that the child will have or get the virus.

What do you all think?
daycare 02:26 PM 02-13-2012
i look at it like this...Be happy they even told you.... and trust me, I hear where you are coming from, but NOT all parents are nice enough to tell you when they are sick...

I would just keep an eye on the child and make sure that they don't start to show signs of illness...
AnneCordelia 03:25 PM 02-13-2012
I would also just be glad they told you and keep in mind to sanitize more.

If it were something like parvovirus (which can harm a fetus) then I would request they stay home.

It is super annoying to have a child who is likely carrying the virus there when there is a parent at home capable of caring for the child. Especially since most of us lose income if we close for illness but I think that's part of the game.
daycare 03:27 PM 02-13-2012
I wanted to add, that becuase you are pregnant, you could send out a memo asking parents to be more cautious of bringing illness to the daycare, which includes parental illness as well. You never know....
itlw8 03:42 PM 02-13-2012
hmmm keep the child home and expose them more then the sick one gets better the child will get sick likely at your house.

I hated it when one parent was sick she would keep the child home and they would watch movies in her bed all day. It took longer for her to get well and she always got the child sick that way. usually after she had gone back to work.
AfterSchoolMom 05:27 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
hmmm keep the child home and expose them more then the sick one gets better the child will get sick likely at your house.

I hated it when one parent was sick she would keep the child home and they would watch movies in her bed all day. It took longer for her to get well and she always got the child sick that way. usually after she had gone back to work.
I thought of that as a factor too - that the child may actually be safer from infection at my house for most of the day.

I dunno, I'm not really mad or anything... this family is SUPER nice and I know they don't mean me any harm. You all are right that it is a blessing that they told me. I'm going to be extra careful with sanitizing and hand washing (not that I don't already do those things) this week.
Tags:contagious, sick provider children
Reply Up