Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:03 AM
Unregistered

Default Back Pain

I have serious back issues. My doctor said I had to quit daycare and find another job. This line of work will deteriorate my back at a much faster rate than a desk job. I had a job lined up for the end of March last year then covid happened. I was let go before I even gave my parents notice. I am still on the look out with no success. Fast forward to now, I do not have any infants and only take kids who can walk up and down stairs. All my parents are well aware of my back issues and know not to hand them off to me in the morning. When we cuddle they climb on my lap. Itís minor adjustments that have really helped. The kids still receive great care and my back isnít as strained. However there is always one parent. Dad always carries in his nearly 5 year old daughter. Every so often he will try to hand her off to me. This morning while he dropped off I looked over to the 2 year old and told her not to hit as the father tried to put her in my arms. Without thinking I grabbed her. I cried out in pain and the dad fricken laughed and said sheís not that heavy. I snapped and said sheís not a baby and she doesnít need to be carried everywhere. Of course sheís not that heavy to you, your not leaking spinal fluid constantly or any other of the other issues that I have. Now I am laying down on an ice pack hoping the ibuprofen will kick in soon. I will likely have to close if this doesnít get better soon. Iím only 30 years old! Iím mad at him and at myself for being careless and forgetful.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with such a painful condition. I'm currently experiencing muscle spasms in my back from lifting my hefty dcb (7mo); he's adorable but it's like lifting a bag of bricks every time I pick him up. That dcd's reaction was inconsiderate and rude. I can't imagine laughing at someone who is in obvious pain - especially if I was the one who caused it! I hope the ice pack and Ibuprofen do kick in soon and that you feel better soon.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Daycare.com Member

Oh man what a jerk! I hate it when parents think they've got to carry "big kids" around. My brother just recently stopped carrying his 6-year-old around and she's super big for her age. now he wonders why she won't even carry her own backpack without whining. Well gee I wonder... she only just started walking on her own recently

I also have back issues (and am 30) but they seem a lot more mild than yours. Mine were more hormone / pregnancy aggravated. However, one thing that made a huge difference for me is physical therapy. It seems stupid when you're doing the little stretches but it's seriously weirdly does work for me. I don't know your situation and it sounds like yours may be something that can't be alleviated as easily but I would have my doubts that an office job would be a fix-all. My back problem started when I was 23 and 8 weeks pregnant with my first child. They were actually worse at that time when I had an office job and was going to college and sitting in a classroom then they were with my most recent third pregnancy in which I was full-on taking care of nine kids. I think moving around helps it's just certain types of movements that I had to avoid so my husband had to step up and do all the shampooing and things like that.

Anyway, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! Right now is such a hard time with job hunting I think because of all the recent covid stuff but hopefully things start looking up for you! I mean, they can only go up from here right!?
Old 01-11-2021, 01:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

i woulda termed the parent on the spot. Thats not ok
Old 02-02-2021, 12:42 AM
Edwardy

It is better to go to massage, I think. It will help you to take off the strain

Tags
fit for duty, health, injury