Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Daycare.com Senior Member

Default Bandaids

Ok so do you give the child a bandaid for every little owie even if it's so small, no blood nothing if they want it and they are hysterically crying?
I have a couple kids that need a bandaid for everything, one even comes with like 4 or 5 and there no scrapes nothing. Then I have a couple kids who want nothing to do with a bandaid even when they need it.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I only use a bandaid if it is REALLY needed. They become stickers if not used for a real purpouse.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM

I only give bandaids when it's bleeding. If it's just a little nothing booboo, I offer an ice pack. I have lots of them waiting in the freezer, and the kids are content with just 10 seconds of an ice pack before they are done & go play again.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM

I had a couple of kids that got to that point once. I just gave them the bandaids and told them to sit down until they felt better. When they say they are ready (they get bored), we can take off the bandaid and they can go play.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

I do not give any bandaids to the kids if it is needed. All I cleaned up and let it dry so the kids don't complain about it. I do the same thing with my own kids. I don't like to give the bandaids to the kids because it will sticky and infection if it is on bandaid too long.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 AM

I don't give them one unless it's bleeding. I do have a boo boo buddy that is a frozen elmo in the freezer.

So if someone gets a boo boo that isn't bleeding they can grab elmo for a few minutes until they feel better.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM

I have the parents donate a box of bandaids each summer. I have a cupboard full and I guess I'm looking for chances to use them.

Sidenote: This summer my kids went on a field trip to a place that was like an indoor bouncehouse/ giant slide. They had the most genius icepacks (can't belive I haven't seen these yet)
They took a couple of wet bi-fold paper towels and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They had stacks of them in the freezer, and they probably cost pennies to make. Disposable, stackable, cheap... I was thrilled. We used to do the latex glove filled w/ water but this beats all when you have 30+ kids. It's the little things, huh?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM

If you need to use up tons of bandaids, you can always let them use a box or two (or whatever) for doing doctor's office/hospital pretend play
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM

No blood, no bandaid. Even if it's a little scrape and the skin is broken, no bandaid unless it's bleeding. I wash it off and give a little TLC. I do the same for my own kids.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnikki View Post
They took a couple of wet bi-fold paper towels and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They had stacks of them in the freezer, and they probably cost pennies to make. Disposable, stackable, cheap... I was thrilled. We used to do the latex glove filled w/ water but this beats all when you have 30+ kids. It's the little things, huh?
That's what I do ~ just fold up a Bounty Select-a-Size section of paper towel to fit a snack size zipper bag, dampen them, I write 'BooBoo Bag' in silly letters on the outside of the bag and stack in the freezer. They are the perfect size for little knees and elbows. The love them

As far as bandaids, only if there is bleeding. I have a couple of kids that would cover themselves with them if they could, lol.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
I only give bandaids when it's bleeding. If it's just a little nothing booboo, I offer an ice pack. I have lots of them waiting in the freezer, and the kids are content with just 10 seconds of an ice pack before they are done & go play again.
Yup, this.

Tags
bandaid, injury, owie