Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default Children That Arrive With Boo-Boo's - What Do You Do?

I have a new DCG that is 15 months old. This will be her 3rd week of dc and she's only here 3 days a week. Almost everyday that she comes she has a new boo-boo on her face or bruise on her leg. I'm not suspecting anything as of yet, but would like to take precautions to cover myself. I have been taking pictures of every bruise and noting them down. Last week I started asking the parents what happened. They just say that she fell or bumped into a table. She's never fallen at my house, but she is sort of a wobbly walker still so I can see how she can stumble and fall. Do any of you ever keep something like a boo-boo log? Or a printed paper that the parents sign acknowledging that the boo-boo occurred in their home? WWYD? Anyone have any examples of what you would give the parents or how you document these type of things?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 AM
MN Mom's Avatar
MN Mom MN Mom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Over the Rainbow
Posts: 396
Default

My son was a walking bruise at that age. By 15 months he had already had stitches x2 (of course he is a boy). Keeping track for your records may be a good idea, however, I would not present the parents with a slip to sign as they may feel you do not trust them. As a parent, I would feel very threatened to have to justify every bruise or scratch to my day care provider, which would not make for a good working relationship.

Just my 2cents!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes I would document the bruises etc. As PP said, I would not confront the parents with every mark, however any major injury I would have signed off. Maybe get a witness to sign your "injury log" or pics you have taken to ensure your own protection.
I too remember my son having a ring of bruises around his forehead at that age, he really did have a bad habit of turning around quickly and walking into a wall.....crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 AM
texascare's Avatar
texascare texascare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 203
Default

I have learned the hard way......too much can be turned around on the provider. I make a note of it in their file, ask the parent about it and take pictures!!! I feel that when you document everything, even conversations w/the parents, it covers your butt! It could be that nothing is going on at home, but to cover yourself please take notes. Pictures help back you up. I usually make a comment like "wow, what happened to you? Glad it was on your watch mom!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 AM
TBird's Avatar
TBird TBird is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
Default

In our state, we are required to do a Daily Health Check so we have no choice but to document any bruises or cuts, etc. I like to do it anyway just so there is record of what happened at home and what happened here.

Like another poster said, a lot of kids are a walking bruise at that age so in my documentation I divide them all up between home and here. If I see it when the parents come in I SURELY mention it (so they can't say it came from here) and when I do my Health Check (first thing), I'll CALL the parent if I find anything so they can't double-back at the end of the day and say it was me.

Also, we just took a class on Child Abuse and our teacher said that it's a good idea to take the kids' temperatures at Health Check every day so you have a point of reference when the parents have tanked the kids up on TYLENOL, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,261
Default

I have a place in my handbook where I state that I note all bruises, cuts etc. in the child's file and that I ask the child how it happened. I state that I am required by law to report anything I see as suspicious. That alone makes parents aware that we look and take notes. (It's required by our state that we have an "owie" report in their files.)

I also cheerfully ask what happened, in a non-accusing way, if I notice a boo-boo on the child in the morning.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascare View Post
I have learned the hard way......too much can be turned around on the provider. I make a note of it in their file, ask the parent about it and take pictures!!! I feel that when you document everything, even conversations w/the parents, it covers your butt! It could be that nothing is going on at home, but to cover yourself please take notes. Pictures help back you up. I usually make a comment like "wow, what happened to you? Glad it was on your watch mom!"
That's's almost exactly what I said yesterday to the mom. I feel comfortable with taking pictures and noting everything I see, but I brought this up to my friends yesterday and they mentioned having the parents sign off on the bruises/injuries to cover me. My friend said that does DC had a child come with marks and bruises on them and the parents went to the Dr and kept blaming it on DC and then eventually my DC friend was looked at. Thank goodness she had documentation.


So today little girl arrives and I didn't see anything with my quick visual check until the dad left and DCG closed her eyes.... Now she has a bruise on her left eye. I took a pic... Would you call or text the parent? I really just want to make sure I cover myself.


I know that kids are walking bruises at this age... My 19 month old son has bruising on his legs because he is 100% boy! I do remember a problem with our coffee table a couple of times, but he took the coffee table out of the equation and never had another issue with his face/head. I'm just really not sure about this one.

Thanks for your input so far ladies!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys View Post
That's's almost exactly what I said yesterday to the mom. I feel comfortable with taking pictures and noting everything I see, but I brought this up to my friends yesterday and they mentioned having the parents sign off on the bruises/injuries to cover me. My friend said that does DC had a child come with marks and bruises on them and the parents went to the Dr and kept blaming it on DC and then eventually my DC friend was looked at. Thank goodness she had documentation.


So today little girl arrives and I didn't see anything with my quick visual check until the dad left and DCG closed her eyes.... Now she has a bruise on her left eye. I took a pic... Would you call or text the parent? I really just want to make sure I cover myself.


I know that kids are walking bruises at this age... My 19 month old son has bruising on his legs because he is 100% boy! I do remember a problem with our coffee table a couple of times, but he took the coffee table out of the equation and never had another issue with his face/head. I'm just really not sure about this one.

Thanks for your input so far ladies!!!!
I think in today's case you're totally justified in calling/texting the parents to ask "wow, what happened to her poor eye?" or waiting until pick-up to ask.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 AM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default

Called the mom and she said DCG slipped in the bathtub. I asked her to please notify me of things at drop off that occur when she's not in my care. I'm still going to do my documentaion and photo's. Just still wondering if I should do a "boo-boo" book?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
kidkair's Avatar
kidkair kidkair is offline
Celebrating Daily!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chaos, MN
Posts: 704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird View Post
In our state, we are required to do a Daily Health Check so we have no choice but to document any bruises or cuts, etc. I like to do it anyway just so there is record of what happened at home and what happened here.

Like another poster said, a lot of kids are a walking bruise at that age so in my documentation I divide them all up between home and here. If I see it when the parents come in I SURELY mention it (so they can't say it came from here) and when I do my Health Check (first thing), I'll CALL the parent if I find anything so they can't double-back at the end of the day and say it was me.

Also, we just took a class on Child Abuse and our teacher said that it's a good idea to take the kids' temperatures at Health Check every day so you have a point of reference when the parents have tanked the kids up on TYLENOL, LOL!!!
Do you have a form you have to fill out daily? or do you just note anything you see in a notebook? How much of their body do you check? What age do you stop at? I've not heard of a state mandating a health check so I'm curious as to what exactly you need to do. I think I may start doing one as well.
__________________
Celebrate!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accident report, boo boo, incident report, injury, injury report, wwyd

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toilet Trained to Move into the 3 Year Old Room? Cindy Parents and Guardians Forum 28 12-11-2014 05:23 AM
Pre K prioritizepre-k Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 51 11-12-2012 05:24 PM
Director Doesn't Hit Or Touch The Children But Is Verbally Very Harsh Elizabeth Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 12-21-2010 05:27 AM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 01:35 AM
School Aged Children and Busing GretasLittleFriends Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-25-2010 08:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming