Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Tip of the Day
legomom922 06:15 AM 04-02-2011
While I was going through my old bank statements looking for a ck, I came across other cks that I had written that I had totaly forgot about that I could use as deductions. Such things I found were ck to the Girl Scouts for Girl Scout cookies, cks for a candy sale for a baseball team for a fundraiser, cks that I had written for the Haiti Earthquake relief, donations for animal humane societies, a benefit dinner for a Pro Life Organization we had attended, and some churchs I had visited once and put a ck in the offering plate that I had never even remembered visiting! By looking over cancelled cks online, you never know what you will find!
TomCopeland 09:45 AM 04-02-2011
Purchasing girl scout cookies is not a charitable contribution because the money got you the cookies. Same thing for the candy sale. The only way these could be a charitable contribution is if the organization gave you a note breaking out the cost of the candy and the amount of a donation.
legomom922 11:01 AM 04-02-2011
I always thought they were deductable because I thought they always advertise "support your local girl scout troop and your contribution is tax deductable" No? Maybe I'm thinking of something else?
Michael 11:05 AM 04-02-2011
I've given money (a check) to the girl scouts but did not buy the cookies. That is deductable.
legomom922 02:12 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I've given money (a check) to the girl scouts but did not buy the cookies. That is deductable.
Oh, so thats the catch! Pay for the cookies but dont take them!
jen2651 11:28 AM 04-04-2011
As a former 501c3 employee, anytime you receive goods for your money, it can not all be a donation. Now, if you donated/paid $10 for a box of cookies, you would deduct the $7 (or however much it was...). For this reason, many organizations will let you 'buy' the item and the remainder is deductible. If it is a higher amount, make sure to get a receipt that states the value of the item and the amount paid and the amount donated. If you pay more than the estimated value at a silent auction, the remainder would be a donation etc. I hope I am explaining this correctly, and if not, please let me know Tome!
TomCopeland 01:04 PM 04-04-2011
Jen2651 is exactly correct.
grandmom 02:01 PM 04-04-2011
Aren't the cookies and candies deductible as food or treats for the kids? Well, maybe not if I just eat them by myself during daycare hours huh?
TomCopeland 06:36 PM 04-04-2011
If you eat the cookies they are not deductible. If the kids eat the cookies as part of a meal or snack you only count it as a meal or snack (no extra deduction because of the cookies). If the kids eat the cookies as a separate snack, treat this as a snack.
Abigail 07:58 PM 04-16-2011
If you buy your dc kids cookies and "gift" them to each family I'm sure you can claim the total cost as a gift.
TomCopeland 03:39 PM 04-17-2011
If you claim them as a gift you can only deduct up to $25 per person.
Tags:deduction - charity, girl scout cookies, tom copeland
Reply Up