Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Wanted to Vent a Bit, Indecisive!
Unregistered 04:09 PM 08-06-2015
I just need to vent a little....it's a vent on myself really not my DCKs or DCPs. I've only been running my daycare for about 6 months now. I have 5 DCKs and all but one are awesome kids that I just love to death. I opened my daycare originally because I wanted both an income and to be able to stay home with my 2 month old (now almost 1yr). I interviewed on a whim for a position several months ago and was told orginally that the position had been filled....no biggie I was running my daycare anyway and it was just started to go well for me. Well, today I received a call. The person they had chosen for the position had to leave and I was the next runner up and rather than go through the whole process of interviewing etc. they decided to offer me the position, immediate hire to start next week! It's a Gov. job that would let me work from home (mostly) with minimal travel and most of the work is done online via Skype and PM so my kid wouldn't need to be in care very often (if at all). On top of this is pays a heck of a LOT more than I make right now with full benefits. However, they already said that even though I work from home I wouldn't be allowed to keep any other job because I must be committed to the position. I just don't know....I really don't....I love my DCKs but at the same time it would be nice to have a "traditional" job that takes care of the taxes etc. itself KWIM? *sigh* just needed to type this out somewhere to help give me some clarity. If I decide to take the job (the need to know by TOMORROW fyi) I don't know what type of notice to give, how to give it, etc.
Unregistered 04:15 PM 08-06-2015
In the end you have to do what is right for you and your family. Personally if it was me I would do the government job. Steady pay and better pay always wins.
cheerfuldom 04:26 PM 08-06-2015
Take the job. The only thing holding you back is having to tell the parents. Send out term notices and be done with it. This job sounds ideal.
Unregistered 04:26 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In the end you have to do what is right for you and your family. Personally if it was me I would do the government job. Steady pay and better pay always wins.
I would do the same. Plus you would still be able to stay home and be with your child which was your main goal by starting your daycare. I would just write a letter to the families that you have enjoyed caring for their children but an unexpected circumstance has occurred that works best for your family at this time, and you to terminating care by xxxx date.
midaycare 04:32 PM 08-06-2015
Hmmm ... More money. Benefits. Working mostly from home. Child hardly ever in care. If you don't take it, send them my resume!
AmyKidsCo 05:39 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Hmmm ... More money. Benefits. Working mostly from home. Child hardly ever in care. If you don't take it, send them my resume!
That was my thought too!
Pepperth 05:48 AM 08-07-2015
I'd jump at that chance, but only know what is best for you and your family.
nanglgrl 07:21 AM 08-07-2015
Make a pros/cons list and go from there. If you didn't give the government job a try would you look back and wonder "what if?"
Controlled Chaos 07:38 AM 08-07-2015
I think it sounds great, but I think expecting you to start in one week is a little ridiculous. I would try and negotiate and way to give your parents 2 weeks notice. Even negotiate you will end your daycare business by _____ date.
Play Care 07:45 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I think it sounds great, but I think expecting you to start in one week is a little ridiculous. I would try and negotiate and way to give your parents 2 weeks notice. Even negotiate you will end your daycare business by _____ date.
This.

But yeah, I'd be outta here (and I make very good money with child care)
DaveA 07:46 AM 08-07-2015
I always tell providers to act in the best interest of themselves and their family because DCPs will do the same. If the job interests you, you think you can do it, and it works better for you and your family then I would say take it.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 08-07-2015
Thank you everyone, as of this morning I informed DCPs that I am giving my two weeks notice and shutting up shop. One was understandably upset because she only just began care with me this past month. A few others wanted to know why. I decided to be honest and tell them I was offered a chance I just could not pass up. A few were understanding however one of them was very upset because she thought I "wanted to be a stay-at-home mom".....how was I EVER really a SAHM when I was taking care of other peoples children and was being paid for this, I guess she never really saw me as being 'employed'??? I was at home yes, I have my child at home with me yes, but I put just as much care in all my clents children as I did my own. I didn't want to give a breakdown about how similar this job would be (hours/working from home) but felt that wasn't necessary....I hope this doesn't become a head ache.

I informed my new employer that I gave my DCPs notice and that I would require these two weeks to tie up my business, now that it is official they seemed very understanding and have allowed me this time. I can begin my training for the position online after day care hours Started to get excited now, but I will still miss the kiddies and have offered to babysit on the occasional evening for 'parent nights' and could offer weekend care here and there if I'm able/willing.
TXhomedaycare 09:20 AM 08-07-2015

Play Care 11:22 AM 08-07-2015
Thank you everyone, as of this morning I informed DCPs that I am giving my two weeks notice and shutting up shop. One was understandably upset because she only just began care with me this past month. A few others wanted to know why. I decided to be honest and tell them I was offered a chance I just could not pass up. A few were understanding however one of them was very upset because she thought I "wanted to be a stay-at-home mom".....how was I EVER really a SAHM when I was taking care of other peoples children and was being paid for this, I guess she never really saw me as being 'employed'??? I was at home yes, I have my child at home with me yes, but I put just as much care in all my clents children as I did my own. I didn't want to give a breakdown about how similar this job would be (hours/working from home) but felt that wasn't necessary....I hope this doesn't become a head ache.

I informed my new employer that I gave my DCPs notice and that I would require these two weeks to tie up my business, now that it is official they seemed very understanding and have allowed me this time. I can begin my training for the position online after day care hours Started to get excited now, but I will still miss the kiddies and have offered to babysit on the occasional evening for 'parent nights' and could offer weekend care here and there if I'm able/willing.
Um, a SAHM?!
Yikes!!!
Reply Up