Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Awake and Alert! PSA
Play Care 03:20 AM 05-26-2016
http://wnyt.com/stem/bennington-dayc...50464/?cat=300

This happened near me. The only thing the providers "did" IMO, was to believe the parent that the child was sleepy and allow the child to nap on arrival. Once they tried to wake the child and realized they could not, they called 911. This is why children should come into daycare awake and alert, so we can assess their health.
JackandJill 04:11 AM 05-26-2016
How would you tell a parent no (how would you phrase it so mom understood your concerns with out freaking her out)? I had a child dropped off while snoozing a few weeks back and let mom just put him on his mat. Omg could you imagine?!
daycarediva 04:13 AM 05-26-2016

What happened to the child? Are the parents being charged? There is way more to this story! WOW!

I have it in my handbook, and even when I did early mornings and took infants, I woke each of them up COMPLETELY to do a health check.
Josiegirl 04:15 AM 05-26-2016
Yet one more thing I will address in my revisions that I'm in the process of doing.
So the baby is going to be okay right?
Wow, providers get it from all angles don't they? Everything seems to be their fault. WTH ever happened to the parents being the major source of everything for their own child/ren????
Play Care 05:46 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

What happened to the child? Are the parents being charged? There is way more to this story! WOW!

I have it in my handbook, and even when I did early mornings and took infants, I woke each of them up COMPLETELY to do a health check.
I agree. But so far only the providers are being blamed.
This was just over the border from me in Vermont and I'm not sure what their regs are about daily health checks.
nannyde 05:58 AM 05-26-2016
Never accept a sleeping child into care. They need to be assessed at the door. They need to be wide awake and acting normally.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
How would you tell a parent no (how would you phrase it so mom understood your concerns with out freaking her out)? I had a child dropped off while snoozing a few weeks back and let mom just put him on his mat. Omg could you imagine?!
Honestly, who cares if a parent freaks out? MY liability, MY responsibility, MY livelihood....

It's easy to say "Your child must be awake and alert before you leave them for safety reasons. Thanks!"

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yet one more thing I will address in my revisions that I'm in the process of doing.
So the baby is going to be okay right?
Wow, providers get it from all angles don't they? Everything seems to be their fault. WTH ever happened to the parents being the major source of everything for their own child/ren????
....because the only other people we could possibly blame are parents but parents are rarely responsible for anything.

....leaving kids in hot cars..... just forgetfulness...wasn't dad's normal day to drop off.

....rolling over and suffocating baby while sleeping with them.... just a tragic accident.

the list goes on an on.....
permanentvacation 06:35 AM 05-26-2016
The article states, "Police say Miller and Clough found the child to not be responsive but allowed a considerable time to lapse before calling the parent or 911."

That's what the daycare providers did wrong. They KNEW the child was unresponsive, but ignored that fact for a while before calling 911 and the parents.

Now, if the child did come into daycare in an unresponsive state, I hope they investigate and find that whatever happened to the child happened while in the parents care and the parents are held responsible for allowing something to happen to their child PLUS ignoring that he/she needed medical attention and instead of getting that help for the child, they simply handed the child over to the daycare.

But, since the daycare also ignored the child's unresponsive state, they should also be held accountable for ignoring his need for medical attention.
permanentvacation 06:43 AM 05-26-2016
And, yes, I have always required that all children entering my daycare, including infants, no matter what age, are awake and alert when the parent brings them in.

If the parent is carrying a child in who is old enough to walk, I REFUSE to allow them to hand the child to me for me to hold while the parent leaves, I require that the parent puts the child on the floor in a standing position and that the child then walks (or runs) on their own to get their toys or whatever they are going to do. That way I can see that the child's legs and feet are alright and that the child is in good physical condition when they come in.

I also make sure to talk to the child and get a verbal response from the child (when they are old enough to communicate on cue) to make sure that nothing is in their mouth that they could choke on (food, gum, some piece of God knows what they found in Mom/Dad's car, etc.) and to make sure the child's jaw, mouth, etc. is unharmed. Also, I can typically get a general idea of how their morning went with their parents by the way they speak when they first walk in.
permanentvacation 06:53 AM 05-26-2016
I also do not allow parents to provide any food or drink for any of the children including their own children while in my care. Including infants. I provide ALL baby formula, baby food, and meals, snacks, and drinks for all children in my care. That way, I know that there's nothing in their food or drink that shouldn't be in it.

I've heard of a couple of cases where a baby's formula that they were served at daycare was poisoned. By me providing everything for the children, I know there's nothing in their food or drink that shouldn't be in it.
racemom 07:25 AM 05-26-2016
They are being charged delaying contacting medical personnel. What I don't understand is why when they found the child was unresponsive why they didn't call 911 immediately. Of course, it's always easier to question what happened when you are not involved. We don't know what their thoughts were on the situation at the time.
permanentvacation 07:56 AM 05-26-2016
If the child was brought into daycare while he/she was 'asleep' and they laid him down to allow him to continue 'sleeping', when they tried to wake him up, and he didn't respond, they might have just thought he was still in a deep sleep and decided to allow him to continue to 'sleep'.

The daycare staff, I'm guessing, simply thought he was sleeping and then when they finally decided that he had been sleeping long enough and tried to demand that he get up to participate in the day's activities, realized that he had not simply been sleeping and in fact had needed medical attention. By allowing him to continue to 'sleep' after trying to wake him up without success, they allowed excessive time to pass before calling 911 or his parents.

Now, keep in mind, this is simply my assumption of what might have happened. I really have no idea what happened. I'm just creating a logical scenario that would coincide with the child entering daycare in a non-responsive state and allow the child to remain in an unresponsive state for a while until someone actually noticed that they needed to call 911 and the parents.
ColorfulSunburst 08:10 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I do not worry about parents and they will not worry about me if something will happen with their kids here. A kid MUST be awakened before they leave him here. That's it. I can put the kid sleeping later. During drop-off time I speak with kids (I want to hear how their voices sound), I look at their skin just for a case if they have some rash or bruises or something else, I touch them to be sure they have no fever.
Play Care 09:08 AM 05-26-2016
Initally I believe they thought the child was sleeping deeply. And I don't know the kid, maybe he is one of the deep sleepers. I've got one now that can sleep through kids playing on top of him. As the story has gone on, it changed to unresponsive.

But what I want to know is - what was actually wrong with the child? He was airlifted to the hospital and intubated but why?
Josiegirl 09:50 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree. But so far only the providers are being blamed.
This was just over the border from me in Vermont and I'm not sure what their regs are about daily health checks.
There have never been any to my knowledge but new regs. were just passed and we're all supposed to receive hard copies by mid-June. It'll very interesting to see if they thought to include anything for that. I heard it's going to be 113 pages, there must be something in it.
daycarediva 10:02 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, who cares if a parent freaks out? MY liability, MY responsibility, MY livelihood....

It's easy to say "Your child must be awake and alert before you leave them for safety reasons. Thanks!"

....because the only other people we could possibly blame are parents but parents are rarely responsible for anything.

....leaving kids in hot cars..... just forgetfulness...wasn't dad's normal day to drop off.

....rolling over and suffocating baby while sleeping with them.... just a tragic accident.

the list goes on an on.....

a baby just died in my hometown (I actually went to school with the child's father) from what was reported in the newspaper at SIDS. Tragic accident. What really happened was baby died in a swing during a nap. Most likely positional asphyxiation.

When are we going to start charging the parent? The hospital here makes them take SBS and safe sleep training before leaving. They have to sign a statement that they understand the dangers of both. They ARE informed. It is criminal that they aren't being charged. Their negligence killed their child. Now, had they employed a nanny that nanny would probably have been arrested immediately and detained awaiting coroners reports and potentially charged while being raked through the mud in the media.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
Initally I believe they thought the child was sleeping deeply. And I don't know the kid, maybe he is one of the deep sleepers. I've got one now that can sleep through kids playing on top of him. As the story has gone on, it changed to unresponsive.

But what I want to know is - what was actually wrong with the child? He was airlifted to the hospital and intubated but why?
I also have a deep sleeper. Everyone can be awake banging pots and pans and she won't stir. DAILY, I have to physically lift her off of her mat to wake her.

That's what I would like to know! Was it physical injury or was he doped and dropped and overdosed?
JackandJill 10:19 AM 05-26-2016

Thanks! I should mention I wrote this before I was completely awake

I guess I meant more how to phrase it so that the parent isn't calling you all day long to make sure their little one is okay. But I completely agree, my business comes first!
Josiegirl 10:39 AM 05-26-2016
Daycarediva,
I seriously hope all birthing centers require those kind of trainings to new parents!! They are needed!
Something that was mentioned last week at a Safe Sleep training was about all those adorable crib sets expectant moms always receive at baby showers, etc. You know, the bumper pads, blankets, etc., that everybody always drool over cause they're so gosh darn cute? Get rid of them. Those things saturate the baby gifts market and are unsafe. Why do they even make them anymore?
I did all the wrong things when I had babies but thank God, SIDS never happened to them. If it were today, I wouldn't take the chance again.
And I do agree that a nanny or dcprovider would lose everything if it had happened to them. However, I'm on the fence as to what should happen to a mom who was negligent; they've already lost everything.
But I love the idea of giving more training to parents. About A LOT of things!
MunchkinWrangler 10:55 AM 05-26-2016
That's why most of these deaths are labeled SIDS deaths IMO. The parents are already dealing with a tragic situation and so most authorities will say it's SIDS not strangulation, entanglement, suffocation, and positional asphyxia. The parents already know the mistake but it's not made public. Most obituaries will say people died peacefully surrounded by family or unexpectedly. The reality is not pretty so we as a society let that person go in dignity.

It truly sucks that the liability is on us but like PP's we have the power to control what happens in our homes. I have a baby that arrives sleeping and I always wake him up all the way,in front of did, change him, feed him, and THEN let him nap. That way I know everything is right with him.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
That's why most of these deaths are labeled SIDS deaths IMO. The parents are already dealing with a tragic situation and so most authorities will say it's SIDS not strangulation, entanglement, suffocation, and positional asphyxia. The parents already know the mistake but it's not made public. Most obituaries will say people died peacefully surrounded by family or unexpectedly. The reality is not pretty so we as a society let that person go in dignity.

It truly sucks that the liability is on us but like PP's we have the power to control what happens in our homes. I have a baby that arrives sleeping and I always wake him up all the way,in front of did, change him, feed him, and THEN let him nap. That way I know everything is right with him.
That power is not just reserved for non-parents.

Parents have the power to control what happens in their homes too.

I think ALL caregivers (parents included) SHOULD be held accountable for ANY action/choice/decision that causes death or harm to a child.
MunchkinWrangler 12:10 PM 05-26-2016
That power is not just reserved for non-parents.

Parents have the power to control what happens in their homes too.

I think ALL caregivers (parents included) SHOULD be held accountable for ANY action/choice/decision that causes death or harm to a child.
Oh absolutely! I meant that if you spot that there is something wrong with the child you can immediately pinpoint that responsibility. Like in the above story, since there was a stretch of time before 911 was called "its the daycare's fault." If they would have noticed something was wrong it would be bounced back to the parents. They missed a step making them liable even if it's the parents fault.
Hunni Bee 12:13 PM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
If the child was brought into daycare while he/she was 'asleep' and they laid him down to allow him to continue 'sleeping', when they tried to wake him up, and he didn't respond, they might have just thought he was still in a deep sleep and decided to allow him to continue to 'sleep'.

The daycare staff, I'm guessing, simply thought he was sleeping and then when they finally decided that he had been sleeping long enough and tried to demand that he get up to participate in the day's activities, realized that he had not simply been sleeping and in fact had needed medical attention. By allowing him to continue to 'sleep' after trying to wake him up without success, they allowed excessive time to pass before calling 911 or his parents.

Now, keep in mind, this is simply my assumption of what might have happened. I really have no idea what happened. I'm just creating a logical scenario that would coincide with the child entering daycare in a non-responsive state and allow the child to remain in an unresponsive state for a while until someone actually noticed that they needed to call 911 and the parents.
I once had a child sleep from arrival til the end of nap. This was several years ago and I was really young and didn't know any better. I would never allow that now. But she was dropped off sleeping and slept nearly the whole day, she wasn't unresponsive but she could not stay awake longer than about 30 seconds. She was fine the day before and after, so I never knew why she was so sleepy.

My heart goes out to all involved.
Reply Up