Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Milestones
storybookending 08:54 AM 10-25-2017
I had my youngest DCB take his first steps today at my house! We are well on our way to a “baby” free household now. He’s been on all solid foods for awhile and I switched him from a bottle to formula in a sippy cup this week as well!

I was just curious if you guys tell parents if their children have these milestone moments while in your care? Do you tell them if little Johnny rolled over for the first time, or took his first steps or do you just let them believe they were there to witness it for themselves?

With this particular parent I told right away. I was actually able to get it on video as he took 3-4 steps paused for a good 10 seconds and then took about 7 more! I sent the video to both mom and dad and a few hours later she tagged me in it as she put it on Facebook. This is their third child and she’s come in every day asking if he took any steps yet so I figured she would want to know and be okay with it.
MomBoss 09:00 AM 10-25-2017
I ask the parents if they want to know. If they say no then I just tell them to let me know when things happen so i dont accidently slip if i saw it first.
daycarediva 09:09 AM 10-25-2017
NO NEVER!

"He's REALLY trying to.... keep an eye on him tonight! He's SO CLOSE."

and then we celebrate the next morning. I was a working outside the home mama, ignorance is bliss.
Indoorvoice 09:39 AM 10-25-2017
I ask. I made my sil cry on accident when I told her about a milestone I was really excited about. The mom of the baby I watch now actually asked me to tell her because she likes to know when he accomplishes things since she doesn't get to see him much.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 10-25-2017
No.

Firsts are for parents.
DaveA 10:20 AM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
NO NEVER!

and then we celebrate the next morning. I was a working outside the home mama, ignorance is bliss.
Yep. I straight out tell parents that I'll lie to them about it. I don't care if the child's running laps or talking up a storm. The firsts never happen here.
Sweet pea 10:35 AM 10-25-2017
Nope, never. I also say that they are really close 😁
storybookending 10:50 AM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I ask. I made my sil cry on accident when I told her about a milestone I was really excited about. The mom of the baby I watch now actually asked me to tell her because she likes to know when he accomplishes things since she doesn't get to see him much.
I have one niece in care and that particular SIL wanted to know if she hit any of the milestones here as well. Rolled over for the first time here but everything else mom pretty much saw. The sister in law I am thinking of enrolling in the late Spring I am sure I will have to lie to about things like this if I end up taking her baby.
MyAngels 12:23 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
NO NEVER!

Leigh 12:28 PM 10-25-2017
Only once have I that I can remember...a 2.5 yo boy with Cerebral Palsy-I took a video of his first steps and sent it to Mom. I thought that she HAD to have that video of the boy who they said would never even crawl taking those first steps.
happymom 12:44 PM 10-25-2017
You are all so kind. This actually made me tear up. Just something as simple as "he's getting so close" and talking about it with the parent so THEY can share their excitement with YOU about the milestones once they happen goes a really long way

sahm1225 03:50 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have one niece in care and that particular SIL wanted to know if she hit any of the milestones here as well. Rolled over for the first time here but everything else mom pretty much saw. The sister in law I aim thinking of enrolling in the late Spring I am sure I will have to lie to about things like this if I end up taking her baby.
This. I usually wait for them to tell me, but for the most part, the firsts happen at home. They're more comfortable and relaxed at home. Today I was excited that my 11 month old started to point. I asked dcd if he's pointed at home and he says 'yea for like 2 weeks now!'.
sharlan 04:07 PM 10-25-2017
Nope, no first milestones ever happen here.
knoxmomof2 03:49 AM 10-28-2017
When I first started, I never even thought about it. Then, a DCM was talking one day and said something to the effect that she didn't want to know when DCG hit her first milestones- that she wanted to be ignorant and think it happened at home. That stuck with me and my policy is to say nothing.
Sunchimes 10:23 AM 10-28-2017
I only tell when they roll over. But, once our "daycare baby" walked here first. The other kids were giddy with excitement. They met her at the door shouting the news!
storybookending 12:25 PM 10-28-2017
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I only tell when they roll over. But, once our "daycare baby" walked here first. The other kids were giddy with excitement. They met her at the door shouting the news!
I never thought about the kids blowing it if a first happens at daycare!
LK5kids 09:12 PM 10-30-2017
Nope, never!
Tags:first steps, first time - baby events, firsts
Reply Up