Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Pick Up Times Question?
sahm1225 08:41 PM 08-13-2010
What do your pick ups/end of days look like? Most of my dcks leave around the same time (between 5-5:30pm) and I swear once one of the parents gets here to pick up, the kids just start acting like maniacs!

Im not exaggerating, they run around, start yelling, and just being rough and crazy. What can I do to control the chaos?

Maybe I am just having a rough week, but just as the kids start acting out the parents seem to want to hang out and chat with me. I dont want the parents to think that the kids are like that all day, because they are for the most part well-behaved. And I am not sure how I can politely tell them "here is your child and his/her belongings and here is their daily sheet telling you about their day, now please leave before they all melt down"..

Am I the only one? How do you control it and make it a smoother process? Thanks everyone!
QualiTcare 08:47 PM 08-13-2010
i don't know how many kids u have, but if you could do it without obviously offending one person - u could put it in a newsletter or an individual note u send home - or put a note on the sign in sheet....something like that.

and just say something like, "if you'd like to speak with me, please call me and/or make an appointment. departure times are very hectic and it's difficult to speak with parents during that time." or however u wanna word it - they'll get the point.
kendallina 04:03 AM 08-14-2010
I put it in my handbook (under a 'Communication' heading) that pick-up and drop of times can be hectic and are not the best times to talk with me, then I listed all the ways that they can communicate with me easily (email, phone times, notes, appointments, etc.). I agree with previous poster, put it in your newsletter. Chances are, the parents have noticed the chaos and will be grateful that you're taking steps to eliminate it. Good luck!
DanceMom 05:52 AM 08-14-2010
I have two parents that like to sit and chit chat at pick up...I am finally going to put it in my newsletter next month telling them I have things after work I am going to start doing and if they need to talk about their childs day to 1) read their notebooks 2) schedule a time to talk or 3) email me anytime.

Sometimes as they talk my dinner is burning, my kids are running around, my phone is ringing..whatever..they dont care..they just still sit and talk.
DBug 10:58 AM 08-16-2010
It may or may not be possible for you, but I changed my outdoor playtime to coincide with the pick-up time of most of my kids. Most of them leave between 4pm and 5pm (one stays til 6pm ...), so that's our afternoon outdoor time. My dc kids are much better behaved when they're outside running around, so I have time to chat with parents. The parents can also stand and watch their child playing for a few minutes, without me feeling like they're invading my space. Usually they let the kids play while they go in and get their craft, communication log, etc., so the kids have a few extra minutes to play too. If they see something on the log that they want to discuss, we usually have time to discuss it right then. But since I head back in at 5, I have an excuse to cut out on any "chatting" that goes beyond that

My biggest problem is figuring out how to get dinner on the table for my own family, since we eat at 5 , but otherwise it works out great!
melskids 11:10 AM 08-16-2010
just like dbug, i also schedule outside time at the end of the day, so most parents pick up then. almost all of the kids get picked up by 5, then i come back in with only 2 siblings left. they get picked up at 5:30, but are very well behaved during pick up time. the rest are absolute monkeys and horrible at pick up times, especially my own son. being outside has helped alot during these times.
DCMom 12:07 PM 08-16-2010
In the summer we are generally outside at pick up, so that works out great.

In the winter it's more difficult. I have two distinct groups, one group is picked up between 4 and 4:30 and the other is around 5-5:30. I try and have the first group semi-ready to go~shoes, socks, papers, etc~and close to the door doing an activity. Usually I have a quick '...so this is how the day went' exchange and that's it. I move back to the 5 o'clock group and that's the signal...they pick up on it pretty quickly that I don't have time to chat.

My chatty moms are in the 5 o'clock group anyway and I don't mind because I like them
tenderhearts 01:05 PM 08-16-2010
My dck do that too, not all of them but a few of them. When I see a parent pull in the driveway I remind the kids what I expect from them and if they misbehave then the next time a parent comes then that child has to come and sit out of the group where I can see them until I'm done. It has worked for me. What is really hard for me is when the child that is being picked up decides to test me and mom and runs out there and starts doing all that yelling, running, screaming, I walk out there and tell them they will sit in time out before they leave if they dont' come. I only have one dcb that does that.
ninosqueridos 02:58 PM 08-16-2010
OMG the same thing happens here!! The wildest one that loses it when someone gets picked up is my own ds. UGH!!

Recently, I had one that was dropping off too late and the kids would all go nuts (or the one getting dropped off would DRAG out drop-off, parent talking, etc)....I verbally stated a quick drop off is better and re-emphasized that in the notebook, and so far so good. Some people just need to be told directly. Twice.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:39 PM 08-16-2010
I agree with doing outdoor play to coincide with pick-up time. An extra bonus to that is you can have everyone clean up before you go outside. That way no more toys get drug out, and you don't have a bunch of cleaning to do after everyone leaves. It really gets on my nerves when a child is still playing with things when their parents come in, and they leave without the parents having the child clean up. Once the parent walks in the door, the child should no longer be my responsibility, that includes when they start running wild after their parents come. It's up to the parents to correct the child. Not me. But instead, I have to step in, getting a few dirty looks from mom or dad, as if they can't believe I just got after sweet innocent Johnny, or actually told him to clean up while they have to wait. I couldn't have had the child do it before the parent comes because sometimes the parents arrival time varies by as much as 15 minutes.
So anyway, outdoor play eliminates this problem. Only thing is, I don't have any suggestions for when it's raining or too cold to go outside.
ninosqueridos 06:37 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I agree with doing outdoor play to coincide with pick-up time. An extra bonus to that is you can have everyone clean up before you go outside. That way no more toys get drug out, and you don't have a bunch of cleaning to do after everyone leaves. It really gets on my nerves when a child is still playing with things when their parents come in, and they leave without the parents having the child clean up. Once the parent walks in the door, the child should no longer be my responsibility, that includes when they start running wild after their parents come. It's up to the parents to correct the child. Not me. But instead, I have to step in, getting a few dirty looks from mom or dad, as if they can't believe I just got after sweet innocent Johnny, or actually told him to clean up while they have to wait. I couldn't have had the child do it before the parent comes because sometimes the parents arrival time varies by as much as 15 minutes.
So anyway, outdoor play eliminates this problem. Only thing is, I don't have any suggestions for when it's raining or too cold to go outside.
I tried outdoor play at pick-up a bunch of times, but that only made for MUCH longer, drawn out good-byes, tantrums, screaming, you name it.....the kids don't want to leave when they're playing outside.
originalkat 06:42 PM 08-16-2010
We do not watch TV during the day...but from 5 to 5:30 I put on a 30 min. video. It works out well. No toys to clean up and the kids are pooped and watch nicely. I make sure the parents have our daily schedule so they know that their kids arent in front of the TV all day, but only during pick-up time.
ninosqueridos 06:46 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
We do not watch TV during the day...but from 5 to 5:30 I put on a 30 min. video. It works out well. No toys to clean up and the kids are pooped and watch nicely. I make sure the parents have our daily schedule so they know that their kids arent in front of the TV all day, but only during pick-up time.
I love this idea but I have anti-TV dcps
QualiTcare 06:50 PM 08-16-2010
oh yeah - that's another good idea - i didn't think of outdoor play. i used to take the 2 year old class outside at the end of the day but it was because id pick up the room and didn't want it destroyed again. i rarely had parents want to stay and chat. most of them were doing good to show up.

on rainy or cold days, i'd clean up the room and then let them play with play doh at the table. it really wasn't that messy and they LOVED it - plus it was a lot easier to clean up than the whole room again.
Abigail 08:52 PM 08-17-2010
Our pick up times vary from 3:00 to 5:30 pm. Most leave between 5 and 5:30, but they NEVER clean. The problem is that I'm currently just an assistant (until I open my own next year!) so I don't have any say. We have a bucket of about 50 little dollar cars that are thrown everywhere--not really played with nicely. We also have a bucket of 6 or 7 Mr. Potato Heads with tons of accessories where the lid doesn't even fit on the container anymore and the kids just dump it....I don't think they even know how to insert the arms and legs because they don't play with it. Yesterday I collected those two bins and pick up took about 15 minutes. Today I didn't and it took about an hour and still half the kids play. On successful days, we get the kids to clean up by letting them know we're going to do a game or coloring and if one kids wants to then everybody does, so that is the only thing that has partially worked. If you ask me, we have too many toys and it is just a dumping game.
melskids 03:54 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Our pick up times vary from 3:00 to 5:30 pm. Most leave between 5 and 5:30, but they NEVER clean. The problem is that I'm currently just an assistant (until I open my own next year!) so I don't have any say. We have a bucket of about 50 little dollar cars that are thrown everywhere--not really played with nicely. We also have a bucket of 6 or 7 Mr. Potato Heads with tons of accessories where the lid doesn't even fit on the container anymore and the kids just dump it....I don't think they even know how to insert the arms and legs because they don't play with it. Yesterday I collected those two bins and pick up took about 15 minutes. Today I didn't and it took about an hour and still half the kids play. On successful days, we get the kids to clean up by letting them know we're going to do a game or coloring and if one kids wants to then everybody does, so that is the only thing that has partially worked. If you ask me, we have too many toys and it is just a dumping game.
OMG! i'm having the same issue. licensing expects us to have all these "choices" for the kids, meanwhile, there's not enough space, the kids dont really play with anything, and nobody cleans the mess. i really think it just overwhelms them more. i recently packd up everything, and put it in to storage, and i will rotate toys in and out. i dont care anymore what "they" say. the night before they show up for my ECERS review, i'll put it all out so it looks good..... but no way, they no longer have free rein of ALL the toys at once.
Abigail 06:25 PM 08-20-2010
I was also told that books, blocks, and balls were the three necessities to run a daycare. That I agree with! I will definitely have those. The Mr. Potato head really should be for "game" time for the older kids who want to create their own potato head. The dollar cars bin....even with a dozen mobile children, they never all play together. The most cars they would possibly need with having choices should be a dozen cars. They can only have one in each hand. LOL. I'm super excited to start my own daycare. We just applied for a house loan today! I need to start writing on paper now my plans of actions instead of in my head. ha ha, no dumping games will be tolerated.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:16 PM 08-21-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I am also an assistant, but I close pretty often in the evenings. What do you mean exactly, that you don't have a say? Just curious. Does the owner not listen to your suggestions?
We have the same problem, so glad a lot of providers have this same problem of the kids having more fun dumping than playing, then not cleaning up. I'm lucky, because we have them clean up before lunch (I think we end up doing it, but even if they do a couple things it helps, but even that little bit usually involves a lot of nagging). Right after lunch is nap, and right after nap is snack. Directly after snack, most of the kids leave (around 3-4 pm), so by the time it's outdoor time, they haven't had too much time to dump toys, and with fewer kids it's easier to get them to clean up. Plus bribing them with going outside makes them move a little faster . So during outdoor play the parents pick them up, and the inside stays clean.
momma2girls 11:34 AM 08-22-2010
One thing that has helped me with pick up times is- have the child ready to go 5-10 min. before the end of your pick up time. It has worked for me, I have tried the outside thing as well-now I have too many small ones to do this out front. Good luck!!
MARSTELAC 08:48 AM 11-18-2010
WAHHHH!!!! Just had a child dropped off while I was changing diapers. Several of the children decided to go and hide under a table in the front room and scream! I couldn't get them to stop and this parent who just dropped off probably thinks I have no control over these kids (which I didn't at the moment as I was busy with the babies)! I remind them frequently that when a parent comes/goes, they must be respectful and behave....they really are good the rest of the day (99.9% of the time) but today was horrible! Looking forward to a day off next week!
DancingQueen 09:44 AM 11-18-2010
this is a common problem here as well. It is driving me batty. i think that from now on 4:15 - 4:30 will be quiet activity at the table time.

Going out doors isn't always an option for us unfortunately
now that the weather is colder we go out for shorter periods of time too.

i find it opposite most of you guys too - when we go outside my house stays messy while we are out there and then I go inside and clean when everyone goes home. But when we are inside - i start cleaning at about 3:45 - 4:00
and most are picked up by 4:30 so I have very little cleaning to do.

Pick ups are MUCH longer and drawn out whenever we have pick up outside.
Inside people feel less comfortable and don't want to stay.

I HATE that everyone gets roudy.

12/1 I send out my new handbook and contracts. I'm going to reitterate what is already stated about pick ups needing to be quicker. Some parents think that if they are the last pick up you want them picked up quick - but if they are the first one - you are there anyways so they can linger with you. NO NO NO they just do NOT realize that this is not normal behavior!!! These kids are amazing until ONE single new person arrives.
laundrymom 09:50 AM 11-18-2010
Im the mean one,.. I actually say to the parent,.. excuse me,.. Turn around and call the offender to me and make them hold my hand,.. then return to the conversation.... or I say,.. excuse me a moment please,... I turn around and address the children,... Excuse me friends,.. Look at me,.. eyes up here,... and I tap my nose,.... Are you supposed to act this way if Miss Jill is talking to an adult???? no you are not,.. I think you need to sit down before someone gets upset. I will make sure you get to play loudly in a moment but right now,.. its time for you to sit and be still. and they all must remain calm,.. and I return to the parent, say thank you,.. and shoo them out.
DancingQueen 09:54 AM 11-18-2010
Laundrymom - I love your approach but 3 of mine are under 2 and it just wouldn't work. No, strapping them into a booster seat for coloring..LOL now that work!!!
laundrymom 09:56 AM 11-18-2010
get a flashlight and turn off the lights for the under 2 crowd,.. play catch the light. =-)

Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
Laundrymom - I love your approach but 3 of mine are under 2 and it just wouldn't work. No, strapping them into a booster seat for coloring..LOL now that work!!!

Mainedaycare 04:26 AM 12-13-2010
I just started roll playing parent pick up and drop off with the kids. They are reminded if they get ready the right way the recieve a sticker to go with the other children get one aswell. They never know when they will earn a sticker. I find they remind me that they have cleaned up toys or their area after craft ect...Even the little ones are watching and learning from the pre schoolers. It took several weeks for them to adjust but I think they get it now ; )
Tags:drop off, pick up
Reply Up