Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Behavior Changed Since Pacifier Is Gone
Country Kids 01:32 PM 10-01-2012
Interesting what a pacificer does for a child. I have had a child for a year 1/2 and they have only had a pacifier at sleep time. Parents took it away about 3 or 4 months ago. I was fine with it, one less thing to keep up with. Well we have had behavior issues ever since.

The child rarely sleeps for me now-rarely.

Talk non-stop constantly-10 hours a day (the entire naptime also)

Talks long into the night to (in a room by themselves but just talks)

Lots of melt downs over everything. Can be aggressive at times to and will scream over the top loud when told no.

This has all stemmed from when the pacifier was taken away. Child was a sound sleeper, played well with others, and talked in a normal amount, not over the top before. Remember to they only had it for sleeping.

Parents have noticed the issues to and we are all at a loss! What would you guys suggest.
SunshineMama 01:50 PM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Interesting what a pacificer does for a child. I have had a child for a year 1/2 and they have only had a pacifier at sleep time. Parents took it away about 3 or 4 months ago. I was fine with it, one less thing to keep up with. Well we have had behavior issues ever since.

The child rarely sleeps for me now-rarely.

Talk non-stop constantly-10 hours a day (the entire naptime also)

Talks long into the night to (in a room by themselves but just talks)

Lots of melt downs over everything. Can be aggressive at times to and will scream over the top loud when told no.

This has all stemmed from when the pacifier was taken away. Child was a sound sleeper, played well with others, and talked in a normal amount, not over the top before. Remember to they only had it for sleeping.

Parents have noticed the issues to and we are all at a loss! What would you guys suggest.
The behavior issues are due to lack of sleep, which is caused by the lack of the child's comfort item, the paci. If they dont want to give the paci back then the parents are going to have to find another way to help and settle their child down to get some sleep at night. Not every child can put themselves to sleep when young without assistance, I would advise the parents to change their bedtime routine. It sounds like this has been going on for months so there is a pretty bad sleep cycle to break- sleep begets sleep, so I would really reinforce the importance of doing whatever is necessary at home to help the child fall asleep at a decent hour.
Willow 02:14 PM 10-01-2012
I agree with Sunshine Mama. I would guess this is all stemming from a lack of sleep too.

If they don't want to give the paci back can they transition the child onto another item? Blanket, taggy, lovey or something?

Not sure if the child is a girl but I even had a mom start putting satin ribbons in her daughters hair everyday that she could rub between her fingers. Was enough security for her when she wanted to ditch the taggy that kept getting left behind.
daycare 02:29 PM 10-01-2012
I agree with both of them....my sons security blanket used to be me. But he's 5 now and he kicked me out of bed every night where I was not getting any sleep so I had to remove myself. He would cry and lay there doing similar to your child. I decided to try one of my shirts and it worked. Sadly, he still uses it...But at least now I am geting rest and so is he.
Reply Up