Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help! Late Pick-Up Letter..Is This Too Harsh?
sorencaa 05:35 PM 10-25-2016
Dear Parents,

I just wanted to send out a friendly reminder that I have a strict pick-up/ drop off policy in my child-care home. When you registered your child for child-care, you received my handbook, stating the hours of operation.

My policy states “children are not to be dropped off before 7:00am or picked up after 5:00pm”. From this point forward, I will be charging $1/per minute starting at 5:05 pm. I really hate to do this but lately I have not been able to do the things I love (such as working out) due to parents continuously picking their child up late.

I understand that emergences arise. I also understand that traffic can be challenging or hectic, but I expect all children to be picked up on time. Traffic issues do not excuse the late fee that will be charged. When your child is picked up late, I am required to remain working, therefore, unable to attend to commitments outside of my home or simply have alone time with my family.

If you should acquire a late pick-up fee throughout the week, I will let you know on Thursday night so that you are able to pay me on Friday.

I absolutely love caring for your child, but would appreciate you honoring my policy. Thank you for your commitment to be on time to pick- up your child or drop them off at the mandated time.

Child’s Name_________________________ Date__________

Parent Signature _________________________
nothingwithoutjoy 05:39 PM 10-25-2016
Not too harsh. But I think it should say starting at 5:00, because if you give them 5 minutes leeway, it's pretty much inviting them not to follow your policy. (i.e. I'd be more harsh.)
Ariana 06:18 PM 10-25-2016
Its way too long.

Dear parents,
As of late I am noticing a lot of late pickups. As per my contract late pickups are subject to a fee. Effective immediately those fees will be applied and the amount owed is to be paid prior to the next daycare day or care will not be given. Late pickups in access of 3 times is grounds for immediate termination.
Thanks

The longer your explanation the less serious people take you and the more room they have to "argue" your policy. You dont have to explain, it is already written in your policy book which they signed. Just give them a notice of the action you are taking going forward.

Good luck. No such thing as being harsh when people are jerks
daycarediva 04:54 AM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Its way too long.

Dear parents,
As of late I am noticing a lot of late pickups. As per my contract late pickups are subject to a fee. Effective immediately those fees will be applied and the amount owed is to be paid prior to the next daycare day or care will not be given. Late pickups in access of 3 times is grounds for immediate termination.
Thanks

The longer your explanation the less serious people take you and the more room they have to "argue" your policy. You dont have to explain, it is already written in your policy book which they signed. Just give them a notice of the action you are taking going forward.

Good luck. No such thing as being harsh when people are jerks
and way too many apologies or excuses to people who are being disrespectful to you.

daycare 06:38 AM 10-26-2016
You think that's harsh. I must be a witch! Lol

Yes too long and repeating

Dear Dcp,

Per our policies a late fee of $1.00 will be charged for early drop off or late pick up.

Effective immediately this policy will be fully enforced. Please note that calling or texting to notify of either will not excuse late fee. No drop off before 7am or pick after 5pm will be permitted.

Should you have a temporary change in your schedule for any reason and need care outside of our normal hours of operation, a 48 hour advance notice must be given in writing and fee may apply. Understand I can not guarantee this change but will try my hardest to accommodate you.

Your dcp.
Snowmom 07:09 AM 10-26-2016
Yup. All the above.

If 5:00 is your closing time, then 5:05 is late.

Giving that leeway time suggests that 5:00 isn't really your closing time, 5:05 is.
JackandJill 07:48 AM 10-26-2016
I agree with everyone else. Don't apologize, list reasons or give leeway. Keep it short, sweet and say exactly how you want the parents to act without apology. And then enforce it.

Good luck! You can do it!
thrivingchildcarecom 10:16 AM 10-26-2016
I don't think it's too harsh at all. I think maybe a bit too long, just because most parents attention span seems to be about 5 sec longer than their child's. Also, sadly, most parents don't seem to care much about our sacrifices. I find that if I mention that early/late pickups could put me out of compliance with licensing get more parent's attention.

Let me know (PM me) if you would like to see the early/late pickup note that I send out to my parents on a regular basis.
laundrymom 11:09 AM 10-26-2016
I think the shorter the better. And you don't need to explain a policy you already have.
Dear dcp's,
Because of habitual late pickups I am strictly enforcing the contracted times for every family. Please be punctual to avoid late fees.
Dcprovider.
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 10-26-2016
I don't even do reminders.
I just charge the late fee.

Its doubled with each occurrence and is immediate termination the third time it happens.

I have 14 different families and all of them pick up and drop off as agreed to. It's not rocket science.
daycare 05:30 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't even do reminders.
I just charge the late fee.

Its doubled with each occurrence and is immediate termination the third time it happens.

I have 14 different families and all of them pick up and drop off as agreed to. It's not rocket science.
If only we could all have your backbone BC...

one day....one day......lol
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
If only we could all have your backbone BC...

one day....one day......lol
lol! It's born out of laziness sometimes.

I'm too lazy to continually have discussions and conferences about things they already know.
So I just skip the lecture and act. It's easier.

So not really a back bone...more of a "funny bone".....it's funny that you (parents) think you can use my time for free.....

Of course I am sure they don't find it nearly as funny as I do sometimes.
Reply Up