Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated With Parents Allowing Their Children To Enter While Still Eating Breakfast
PolkaTots 12:29 PM 12-12-2011
Since I opened 4 years ago, my policy has been no outside food. It has never really been a problem, until this year...I send home reminders, tell them directly, and take it away when they enter...but it only helps for a few weeks, and then they start arriving with half eaten pop tarts, donuts, cereal bars in hand again! I am just so sick of cleaning up breakfast food messes in my entryway So what is your best suggestion for dealing with this?
KEG123 12:31 PM 12-12-2011
A trash can outside the front door with a sign that says "Please throw away all uneaten food" or something clever?
PolkaTots 12:34 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
A trash can outside the front door with a sign that says "Please throw away all uneaten food" or something clever?
Love it! Tactful and straight to the point!
MamaBear 12:36 PM 12-12-2011
I love this trash can idea... I think I'll do that too. I had a 2 yr old DCG girl show up this morning eating Gummy Worms!!!! At 830am! I can't believe these people sometimes.
Lucy 08:22 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
Since I opened 4 years ago, my policy has been no outside food. It has never really been a problem, until this year...I send home reminders, tell them directly, and take it away when they enter...but it only helps for a few weeks, and then they start arriving with half eaten pop tarts, donuts, cereal bars in hand again! I am just so sick of cleaning up breakfast food messes in my entryway So what is your best suggestion for dealing with this?
"Good morning, Sweety! I'm sorry, you'll have to finish that outside before you come in. Or you can have Mom take it back to the car for you. Thanks, Hun!"
morgan24 05:26 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
"Good morning, Sweety! I'm sorry, you'll have to finish that outside before you come in. Or you can have Mom take it back to the car for you. Thanks, Hun!"
This is something I would say with a ton of sarcasm included.

This is kind of mean, but when I have kids that bring something in my dog grabs it out of their hand and I just let her. She does that because she doesn't get people food unless it falls on the floor. When she grabs it I always say, Sorry but that is why we eat at the table.
Unregistered 06:25 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
This is something I would say with a ton of sarcasm included.

This is kind of mean, but when I have kids that bring something in my dog grabs it out of their hand and I just let her. She does that because she doesn't get people food unless it falls on the floor. When she grabs it I always say, Sorry but that is why we eat at the table.
You are not worried that this lesson also teaches your dog that she is dominant over the daycare children by putting her in an alpha position? That would worry me.

I also have a garbage can on my porch. It's a small, pretty red metal can from Ikea.
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 12-13-2011
I have a sign on the door that says: "STOP do NOT enter with food, wrappers or cups. Thank you!" I also have a trash can outside the door.

If a parent allows a child to enter with any type of food, I swiftly say "Stop right there...I know DCK cannot read but you can, please put that in the can outside."

I have had 99% of all my dck's since they were babies so I have no issue speaking up to parents. I just add the appropriate tone for whatever family I am talking to.
morgan24 09:41 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You are not worried that this lesson also teaches your dog that she is dominant over the daycare children by putting her in an alpha position? That would worry me.

I also have a garbage can on my porch. It's a small, pretty red metal can from Ikea.
No it doesn't worry me. She is a couch potato and usually stays on the couch unless she smells food. The kids go over to her and say good morning. She is in a cage at breakfast, lunch & snack time. She knows that I'm the alpha dog here.
mismatchedsocks 09:45 AM 12-13-2011
I like the little garbage can outside idea. IF i have a parent show up with food I say " lets put this in your cubby until the end of the day" Now lets say its an open banana. I will say finish up your banana then take off your stuff and go throw it away.
wdmmom 09:52 AM 12-13-2011
The trash can works! I had the same issue from the same parents that I've had for almost 3 years now! The Capri Sun that got squeezed all over my carpet was the last straw! No food PERIOD! I told DCD at pick up that I feed breakfast at 8am and that he don't need to come in at 730 with juice boxes and sugary breakfasts. DCD stopped bringing food. DCM clearly didn't get the same message I gave DCD. I sent her an email saying No more outside food unless there is enough for everyone. She asked why and my response was, "Would you like to spend your weekend cleaning my carpets?" That solved it!
Tags:disruptive, eating issues, parents - are clueless
Reply Up