Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Working On The Holidays
Countrygal 05:15 AM 04-23-2012
For those of you who take children on the holidays - for example, July 4th, do you charge extra and if so, how much? I am re-vamping my policies and am getting tired of working every holiday without any reward. I'm thinking of charging time and a half for holidays.

How do you all work it?
Meeko 05:53 AM 04-23-2012
I get all the holidays off with pay except Presidents Day.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 04-23-2012
I get ALL federal holiday off as well as a few I take as personal days.

If I were you and were going to offer care on holidays, I would absolutely charge atleast 1.5 times your normal rate. NOT many places offer care on holidays around here so if your are going to do it, make it worth YOUR while!
DaisyMamma 10:21 AM 04-23-2012
I agree. At least 1.5!
I take holidays off with pay.
littlemissmuffet 11:23 AM 04-23-2012
I am closed on all stats. I don't think I'd ever agree to work one, but if I did (and the parent better have a VERY good reason) I would charge $50 for the day. My fee is monthly, however, when broken down it averages that I am paid about $27.25/child per day. $50 is a little less than double my day rate. If it reaaaaaallllly was necessary for their child to be in care, they'd pay - if not, they won't.
permanentvacation 11:51 AM 04-23-2012
I work on holidays if needed. I put a paper out a few days before the holiday and ask who needs care. If a couple of people need care, then I stay open for regular pay. If only one parent needs care, I close and tell that one person that they need to find alternate care for the holiday.

I explain the way I do this to parents on the interview and let them know that it's a majority rules thing.
itlw8 12:25 PM 04-23-2012
No way I would ever work holidays but if I did it would be an hourly rate with a minimum 4 hour charge.... and it would be $10 per child per hour or higher.
Christian Mother 01:54 PM 04-23-2012
It really depends on the holiday bc most times I have it off and parents don't ask for me to watch the kids.. however; I do end up caring for kids on Christmas Eve or New Yr's Eve. I don't mind much as my husband usually has to work those days.

I do have it noted in my contract though that any holiday asked to watch I do charge $10 an hr. Diff. from my $25 for full day care. So most parents won't even ask!!
momma2girls 04:31 PM 04-23-2012
I have all Holidays off with pay.
daycare 05:17 PM 04-23-2012
I have all holidays off with pay! However, should I decide to open on a holiday, I will charge you your daily rate, PLUS $50.00, so yes, you better really need to work or be some where very important because that means the cost is $100.00 per child for the day.
Countrygal 06:20 PM 04-23-2012
Let me explain my situation - I have one family that is military, so most holidays are off without pay for me (my choice).

I have one family that works holidays - pretty much all of them except Christmas and Thanksgiving. I offer care for those days because I am a single gp raising my gs and know how hard it can be. But honestly, I don't think a little extra for a holiday is unreasonable.

I am looking at working Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor day and I would really appreciate a little more than my standard 17.50 for those days. Easter isn't an issue, nor is Thanksgiving or Christmas. New Year's is up in the air.....

Thanks for all the input, and when I revamp my handbook, I think 1 1/2 time for holidays will be included, if not double time.
wdmmom 06:29 PM 04-23-2012
If you are only getting $17.50 per day, I'd triple it to make it worthwhile...at least double!!

My average is $25-$35 per day depending hours. If I absolutely needed to work holidays, I wouldnt do it for less than $50 and that would be 8 hours max. Or they could pay babysitting fees. Around here its about $10 per hour for 1 kid!!
thatdivalady 05:04 PM 04-24-2012
I charge the regular rate plus a convenience fee of $20 per day. I also have an assistance so it's a little easier for me to work holidays.
Countrygal 05:08 PM 04-24-2012
At my rate I'm already higher than most people in this area. But I think I am definitely charging more for holidays. Thanks all for the opinions!
Tags:holidays, working on holidays
Reply Up