Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank You Note For Gifts?
Unregistered 07:25 AM 01-16-2015
Curious how many do thank you notes for gifts you receive from children over the holidays?
Controlled Chaos 07:55 AM 01-16-2015
Always! I am huge on handwritten thank you notes. I even make thank you cards for santa with the dcks. They give them to their parents to mail off
Josiegirl 10:27 AM 01-16-2015
I hate to admit it I'm not always very good about it. Time passes and soon it's February and how did that happen so I'll do it next time.
BUT I did write thank you notes this year!!!!
Josiegirl 10:29 AM 01-16-2015
In fact, a dcm brought in 2 brand new baby dolls for dc earlier this week and all the dcks painted their hand prints to make a card, I added a little note and it'll go home today.
I love my dcps!!!
Blackcat31 10:30 AM 01-16-2015
I always write handwritten thank you notes.

I personally think it's rude not to do that but that has a lot to do with how I was raised.

My own kids were required to write handwritten thank you notes as well.
butterfly 10:33 AM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Always! I am huge on handwritten thank you notes. I even make thank you cards for santa with the dcks. They give them to their parents to mail off
me too! I write the thank you the same evening as the gift was received so that it doesn't get put off and forgotten.
Controlled Chaos 10:33 AM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I personally think it's rude not to do that but that has a lot to do with how I was raised.

e.j. 10:44 AM 01-16-2015

Same here.
Unregistered 06:21 AM 01-17-2015
i gave very generous gifts to my daycare providers this year, only received one thank you back. It's funny you guys are always talking about the parents being ungrateful. Don't think I'll do gifts next holiday.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 01-17-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
i gave very generous gifts to my daycare providers this year, only received one thank you back. It's funny you guys are always talking about the parents being ungrateful. Don't think I'll do gifts next holiday.
I've commented on this subject before and it applies here as well;

If you choose to give a gift, it should be given with a whole heart and no expectations for any type of reciprocal response.

I am very gracious and appreciative of the gifts/cards I receive but I respond because I choose to.

NOT because I felt obligated to do so.

If you give a gift with an expectation attached, you are setting yourself up to feel hurt and unappreciated.
Crazy8 08:03 AM 01-17-2015
I've commented on this subject before and it applies here as well;

If you choose to give a gift, it should be given with a whole heart and no expectations for any type of reciprocal response.

I am very gracious and appreciative of the gifts/cards I receive but I respond because I choose to.

NOT because I felt obligated to do so.

If you give a gift with an expectation attached, you are setting yourself up to feel hurt and unappreciated.
Totally agree!!! Some people aren't note writers and I would never NOT give a gift because someone didn't write me a thank you note!

That said, I do send a thank you note for holiday gifts, I will usually sit down at nap time and send them home the same day but I know I have forgotten to send thank yous after birthday and other gifts at times. I always give a verbal thank you for anything received as soon as its handed to me.
Unregistered 08:07 AM 01-17-2015
I DO give without expectations. However I think there has been a change in general attitude and general behavior in recent years and that leads to the slow realization that many do not express any thanks or appreciation any more.
So it is more of a change in how things are received and noticing that than it is that we are giving with strings attached. I do not give expecting a gift in return or expecting a thank you note, but I do notice that I used to always receive them and now I don't.
I have not changed how I do things. The response has changed. I notice it. I express that fact when I am in a group where it would not be rude to say so. I may also express that I do not care for the change because that is true.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 01-17-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I DO give without expectations. However I think there has been a change in general attitude and general behavior in recent years and that leads to the slow realization that many do not express any thanks or appreciation any more.
So it is more of a change in how things are received and noticing that than it is that we are giving with strings attached. I do not give expecting a gift in return or expecting a thank you note, but I do notice that I used to always receive them and now I don't.
I have not changed how I do things. The response has changed. I notice it. I express that fact when I am in a group where it would not be rude to say so. I may also express that I do not care for the change because that is true.
I am not saying everyone gives with strings attached.

My comments were directed towards the unregistered user who said "I gave very generous gifts to my daycare providers this year, only received one thank you back. It's funny you guys are always talking about the parents being ungrateful. Don't think I'll do gifts next holiday"

She made it clear she won't be giving next year BECAUSE she did not receive a thank you this year.

That IS giving with stings attached.

I also agree that there has been a change in reciprocal behaviors over the last few years but it doesn't bother me because I still give for the same reasons I've always given and I still show my appreciation for anything I've been given because it's what I choose to do not because it's what is considered the norm now days.

I also make a point of teaching my DCK's to be appreciative because appreciation is no longer a character trait that is a focus at home so I try where I can.
KiddieCahoots 10:00 AM 01-17-2015
I always give thank you notes, actually like to, and have a blank supply ready for every occasion.

Because I love adding in the note special thanks to the daycare child, with how I will smile and think of them when I look at the beautiful and thoughtful gift they gave me..etc...

I love the thought of their little faces smiling when dcm reads them the note. And I like keeping the notes of thanks I get, so I hope they might too...something more for the child to remember me by when they are older.

I agree with BC
I also give treats and gifts at holidays and birthday's, because I want to, regardless of the lack of enthusiasm I get from a parent.
Unregistered 12:57 PM 01-17-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Because I love adding in the note special thanks to the daycare child, with how I will smile and think of them when I look at the beautiful and thoughtful gift they gave me..etc...

I love the thought of their little faces smiling when dcm reads them the note. And I like keeping the notes of thanks I get, so I hope they might too...something more for the child to remember me by when they are older.
Love this. I keep my cards too, and the little pictures or notes from the kids.
Reply Up