Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP actively lookin for a new provider
Unregistered 08:08 AM 01-28-2015
I've had a DCB for about 6 months now, the parents have been overbearing to the least, but I've always gotten along with them. With the new year, I restructured my rates. Their rate changed to $10 more a week, but in 5 months will go back to what they are paying when he has his birthday. They were upset with it an demanded knowing my reasoning and justification for changing my rates. Well I was just notified by another provider that DCPs contacted her looking for a referral to a new provider with cheaper rates. So I know they are actively looking. Do I call them out on it and term them. Ride it out until they find someone? I just don't know...
butterfly 08:27 AM 01-28-2015
As long as I didn't have any issues with the family, I would continue to collect their payments and ride it out as usual. They may find that your rates and services are the best around and they'll end up staying.
Unregistered 08:35 AM 01-28-2015
Oh yes...there have been many issues...digging though my dirty laundry thinking I stole a blanket from her son...bringing his own toys to play with so he didn't get germs from mine...sending Mormons to come speak to me how drinking wine and coffee was a sin...do you want to hear more? Lol...they really should have termed long ago...
butterfly 08:41 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh yes...there have been many issues...digging though my dirty laundry thinking I stole a blanket from her son...bringing his own toys to play with so he didn't get germs from mine...sending Mormons to come speak to me how drinking wine and coffee was a sin...do you want to hear more? Lol...they really should have termed long ago...
oh, well, then, I change my answer! Term effective immediately and I don't think I would even give them a reason. I would just say I could no longer provide care for your child.

The minute they were going through my laundry, they would have been gone! Daycare is already an invasion of my families' privacy without having people literally going through my dirty laundry!
daycare 08:57 AM 01-28-2015
I would be building up your wait list and start advertising then just ride it out.
hope 09:00 AM 01-28-2015
I would actively pursue a new family. If you have a wait list then pull from that. If you dont have a wait list start advertising and interviewing. Take on a new family as soon as you find a good fit and term the other family.
Unregistered 09:00 AM 01-28-2015
Sending Mormons to come speak to you!!!!????? I about choked on my bottle of water. LOL!
NeedaVaca 09:26 AM 01-28-2015
You have mentioned terming this family in several threads starting back in October? What haven't you termed already? Every time you post about this family everyone tells you to term...
daycarediva 09:29 AM 01-28-2015
My husband sends Mormons running away screaming. His very good friend is a former Mormon, and he knows a great deal about their religion.

I would replace him. I wouldn't put effort into a child/family knowing that they were trying to leave. BUH BYE!

Also- I don't raise my rates for existing clients. I tell everyone signing my contract that their rate is 'locked in'. I take 18m-Kindy. They can stay for 3 1/2 years at the same rate. When I raise my rates, I just enroll all new clients with the new rates. I recently had a child return to my program, and they are at the new rate, but they were at their old rate for 2 years almost. I am NOT saying that this is what you should do, but it works for me.
Play Care 09:36 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You have mentioned terming this family in several threads starting back in October? What haven't you termed already? Every time you post about this family everyone tells you to term...

There are families who give us minor annoyances each day, you are not speaking of minor things.

Accusing you of stealing? Saying your program is dirty? Sending a religious group after you for having wine on occasion?

These are major issues. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a visit from licensing (if you are licensed) because they are accusing you of something.
TheGoodLife 09:45 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
I would actively pursue a new family. If you have a wait list then pull from that. If you dont have a wait list start advertising and interviewing. Take on a new family as soon as you find a good fit and term the other family.

Controlled Chaos 10:05 AM 01-28-2015
Nobody gets between me and my adult beverages! NOBODY!

TERM!

I have lots of LDS friends as I live in UT, please know the majority aren't crazy Let's not bash the lovely mormons due to this INSANE dcf. They sound like all the wrong kinds of amazing.
Blackcat31 10:15 AM 01-28-2015
So you didn't feel the need to term when they accused you of stealing, calling your program dirty and for sending a religious group your way to educate you but you want to term now just because they are searching for a new provider??

I'm sorry but I think you need to re-evaluate your own priorities.

Wanting to term now just because they are actively seeking new care arrangements is unprofessional in my opinion.

You should have termed earlier if their issues bothered you but looking for new care is hardly a reason to term.

Families may be looking for new care at all times and none of us are the wiser. Knowledge of their search is not a valid reason to suddenly change tactics.
Annalee 10:17 AM 01-28-2015
Sending Mormons to come speak to you!!!!????? I about choked on my bottle of water. LOL!
HA! I choked on my big cup of coffee they were telling was wrong to drink!
Shell 11:08 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

There are families who give us minor annoyances each day, you are not speaking of minor things.

Accusing you of stealing? Saying your program is dirty? Sending a religious group after you for having wine on occasion?

These are major issues. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a visit from licensing (if you are licensed) because they are accusing you of something.

CraftyMom 11:14 AM 01-28-2015
Sounds like this is the straw that broke the camel's back...all the other things added up, now one more thing...even though it's small it's just the last straw with these people

I would start advertising now that you know
e.j. 11:24 AM 01-28-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Sounds like this is the straw that broke the camel's back...all the other things added up, now one more thing...even though it's small it's just the last straw with these people

I would start advertising now that you know
This is what I was thinking, too... almost word for word!
If you can't afford to let them go until you replace them, start looking. If you can afford to let them go now, I'd give them their notice at pick up tonight.
Unregistered 06:32 AM 01-29-2015
Honestly, they were very nice, that's why I tried to bite my tongue with all the other occurrences. It was nothing to do with the quality of care I provided, they loved me and let me know daily. I guess being made to feel appreciated was why I kept them so long, but I recently raised my rates, and they didn't want to pay the higher rate. I am actually still lower priced for registered providers in my area, so am not insanely out of line. This was the only family that questioned the small rate change. I am owner of a facebook group that parents can contact looking for referrals, DCD went on there not saying anything bad about me, just that they were looking for a new lower priced provider. He didn't know I ran this group. Yes, this was the straw that broke the camels back. I know families can look for alternate care at any time, but what I wanted to avoid with them casually looking and leaving when I have 3 preschoolers leaving for preschool programs at the end of the school year. What I did is gave them 30 days notice to find a new provider, and even gave them a few referrals. The DCM was hysterical and angry. I felt bad, but this needed to be done. I am fine without the income, but already have a couple on my waitlist anyway. I know this isn't what everyone would have done. But this was what was right for me. Like I said, this was the straw that broke the camels back. Today should be interesting...I just hope DCD doesn't come...
Shell 06:48 AM 01-29-2015
Honestly, they were very nice, that's why I tried to bite my tongue with all the other occurrences. It was nothing to do with the quality of care I provided, they loved me and let me know daily. I guess being made to feel appreciated was why I kept them so long, but I recently raised my rates, and they didn't want to pay the higher rate. I am actually still lower priced for registered providers in my area, so am not insanely out of line. This was the only family that questioned the small rate change. I am owner of a facebook group that parents can contact looking for referrals, DCD went on there not saying anything bad about me, just that they were looking for a new lower priced provider. He didn't know I ran this group. Yes, this was the straw that broke the camels back. I know families can look for alternate care at any time, but what I wanted to avoid with them casually looking and leaving when I have 3 preschoolers leaving for preschool programs at the end of the school year. What I did is gave them 30 days notice to find a new provider, and even gave them a few referrals. The DCM was hysterical and angry. I felt bad, but this needed to be done. I am fine without the income, but already have a couple on my waitlist anyway. I know this isn't what everyone would have done. But this was what was right for me. Like I said, this was the straw that broke the camels back. Today should be interesting...I just hope DCD doesn't come...
do what you have to do, and no regrets!
e.j. 02:30 PM 01-29-2015
What I did is gave them 30 days notice to find a new provider, and even gave them a few referrals. The DCM was hysterical and angry.
Assuming you gave her referrals for cheaper care, you gave them exactly what they were looking for and dcm still got hysterical and angry! There's just no pleasing some people! If dcd does show up and causes a scene, I would term immediately instead of giving them the very generous 30 day notice you offered.
midaycare 03:42 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
OP is probably concerned about eternal consequences.
Meeko 04:19 PM 01-29-2015
I have been a daycare provider for 29 years. I have dealt with every kind of parent out there. The good, the bad and the ugly.

But I have never brought their religion into it.

Catholic helicopter mom isn't that way because she's Catholic. Baptist neglectful mom isn't that way because she's a Baptist.

I have met irritating, rabid Catholics who have tried to "save" me. I have met irritating, rabid Baptists who have tried the same thing. I have know Catholics who are wonderful people. Same with Baptists.

Your Mormon mom was rude and I would have termed her. Sending church members over without your permission was not acceptable. But not all Mormons are like that.

It is no more acceptable to bash Mormons than it is to bash Catholics or Baptists etc. etc.

I'm a Mormon. I live in Utah. I have had awful daycare parents. I have had fantastic daycare parents. Nothing to do with their various religions.

hope 06:20 PM 01-29-2015
I do think that you should have termed for all the reasons you stated much earlier in the relationship and am curious as to why you didn't.
I would look for a replacement family and term once I can replace if I knew the current family was looking for another provider because I wouldn't want to be out the income unexpectedly.
Controlled Chaos 06:28 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have been a daycare provider for 29 years. I have dealt with every kind of parent out there. The good, the bad and the ugly.

But I have never brought their religion into it.

Catholic helicopter mom isn't that way because she's Catholic. Baptist neglectful mom isn't that way because she's a Baptist.

I have met irritating, rabid Catholics who have tried to "save" me. I have met irritating, rabid Baptists who have tried the same thing. I have know Catholics who are wonderful people. Same with Baptists.

Your Mormon mom was rude and I would have termed her. Sending church members over without your permission was not acceptable. But not all Mormons are like that.

It is no more acceptable to bash Mormons than it is to bash Catholics or Baptists etc. etc.

I'm a Mormon. I live in Utah. I have had awful daycare parents. I have had fantastic daycare parents. Nothing to do with their various religions.

TaylorTots 07:46 PM 01-30-2015
I had a parent once do the same when I raised rates. A local DCP contacted me to state she called her asking about rates and was looking around. I'm friends with a lot of DCPs in the area, so I compiled a list of local providers with their rates (80% were equal to or higher than mine) and all the local centers (which are all $200+ more a month for her child compared to my care) and their phone numbers. I told her that I thought this may help as she daycare shopped and be sure to adhere to the contract policies she signed when she gave her notice.

Passive-aggressive? Yes. Did I feel better? Yes. Worth it? Oh yes.

Oh, she ended up not finding cheaper care she liked and I had to term 3 months later anyway as she got SUPER disrespectful regarding my biting policy when her child started biting
Reply Up