Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sneaking Things in Our Clothing
Unregistered 09:34 AM 01-28-2016
So I have a 4yo dcg whom I have watched for almost 2 years now. She has always been a child who had to have certain toys not necessarily to play with but just to carry around everywhere and will panic if anyone comes near them. She has taken things home with her in her pockets and things and her parents make her bring them back. Today she comes in and after Dad leaves she pulls toys out of her shirt sleeve. I ask her" does Dad know you brought those "because I don't allow outside toys. She says "no". I then tell her it is not okay to sneak toys. How do I handle this behavior? I have never had a child so worried about having to have things to the point on sneaking them in their clothing. I don't want this to get any worse
NoMoreJuice! 09:40 AM 01-28-2016
I have this exact behavior going on now with two boys from different families. The main smuggling route is in the pockets of their cargo pants, so I make a habit of literally patting them down like a police officer at drop off and at pick up. The parents are aware of my policy and do try to help, but honestly the only thing that helped was having "checkpoints." The behavior has been steadily lessening for months and is almost gone now.
Blackcat31 09:43 AM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So I have a 4yo dcg whom I have watched for almost 2 years now. She has always been a child who had to have certain toys not necessarily to play with but just to carry around everywhere and will panic if anyone comes near them. She has taken things home with her in her pockets and things and her parents make her bring them back. Today she comes in and after Dad leaves she pulls toys out of her shirt sleeve. I ask her" does Dad know you brought those "because I don't allow outside toys. She says "no". I then tell her it is not okay to sneak toys. How do I handle this behavior? I have never had a child so worried about having to have things to the point on sneaking them in their clothing. I don't want this to get any worse
Full pat down at BOTH drop off and pick up.
284878 06:57 AM 01-30-2016
I had a Dcg do this. Her first week we did a sticker craft. I had them doing the craft while I was making lunch. When they got done, I had them show me then take it to the entry way. At pick up, she shows mom her craft, when she picks it up underneath was a stack of stickers. I commented, I did not know she had those. Mom said nothing to her daughter.
Few weeks later, she started pocketing some colored puff balls. I made her empty her pockets, then I checked her pockets. she was very upset with me for not allowing her to them.

I also double checked her craft before pick up every time.
nannyde 10:05 AM 01-30-2016
Frisk at drop off and pick up
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 01-31-2016
Yep, it happens. And all you can do is check them in and check them out.
Dcm of 19 mos came in Friday a.m. and her dds are always picking something up on the way out the door, which is fine because when we unload them from their car seats, she usually takes them away; it's usually things like a stray mitten or book. But Friday 1 of her dds came with this tiny little rubbery toy like you might find in a machine as you're walking out of the grocery store. A fine chokeable if there ever was one!!! She let her dd keep hold of it. So I took it away and put it right in her cubby.
But yeh, I've had dcks sneak stuff in and out, I just confiscate when I find it.
Reply Up