Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Difference Between 18m And 2y
WImom 06:11 AM 04-06-2011
I normally only take 2-5y but I've had a few inquires asking if I will take their 18-20 month old. Normally I say they have to wait but times have been slow so I'm considering lowering my age.

Is there a huge difference in behavior, what they can do, etc between 18m and 24m?

I run my childcare like a preschool with circle time, arts and crafts, group activities, etc and wasn't sure if that's too much for an 18m old.
godiva83 06:27 AM 04-06-2011
It is young to sit for a long circle or to be following too many teacher directed activities, but it is not unheard of in my opinion. It may take more time for them to adjust to your routine and I think they may need more one on one time- But I think it is doable and I say go for it! Give it a try if it isn't for you explain to the parents it is only a trail.
Goold luck
cheerfuldom 06:51 AM 04-06-2011
It depends on the kid so I would interview and see what their maturity level is. But if you need to fill the slot and it is only one younger kid, you should be able to adjust to their needs until they catch up. I know some 18m olds that are not talking, not even close to potty training, still doing pacis/bottles/spoon feeding and all the baby stuff. Now my older daughter, she was completely independent at this age, no baby stuff and almost potty trained so there is a big difference from child to child.
melskids 07:58 AM 04-06-2011
it definetely depends on the child. i have had some who were still "babies" and others who behaved and followed routines alot better then some of the three's.

ive had some who couldnt play with anything without it going into their mouths, and i've had 15 month olds play with playdough without ever tasting it.

i'd at least interview, see where they are develpomentally, and go from there....
Live and Learn 08:37 AM 04-06-2011
If you run your operation like a preschool then I am assuming you only take potty trained kiddos like the preschools around here....so the big difference will be diapers! Most 18 month olds aren't potty trained.

It depends on the child and his family in my opinion. Some 18 month olds are like 2 year olds and some 2 year olds are like 18month olds!

Here my dc kiddies are off the bottle, paci, and baby food at 12 months. Some moms don't operate that way.

I think it would be workable as long as you get the right kid and don't expect too much from the little guy.
daycare 08:51 AM 04-06-2011
I run a preschool program here and a few years back I took on a 15 month old. It was a package deal. At first it was hard, I had to learn how to add her into our program. Then once I got the swing of it, it was pretty easy.

the DCG still took two naps, so when the 15month old went down for nap is when we would do activities that she could not. LIke paint, clay, glue and etc.

Sometimes I put her in the high chair if she woke up and let her play with pudding on paper so she would think she was paiting too...

All in all, I would probably not do it again that young, but I would consider a 20 month old.

I have potty trained all of my DCK. I also brought the 15 month old to the bathroom and had her sit on the little potty when we were doing our group potty training.

The 15 month old is turing 3 next month and really has to be one of the best behaved kids here. She follows directions, cleans up well,, listens the best, and does just about everything on her own. I love it.... Wish I could copy her.
nannyde 08:51 AM 04-06-2011
18-24 months is one of the biggest jumps here in development. I have two that are at the tail end of it and will be two next month.

IMHO they are still babies at 18 months. Once they near two and get to two we are able to do SO much more with them. By two they can pretty much completely talk. That makes disciplining so much easier.

Their ability to understand the words: "if you do THIS... then this will happen next" comes at around two. That's a huge percentage of our discipline here.

Two year olds get a bad rap but I think they are easier than 18-24 month olds. They calm down so much and are able to really PLAY TOYS after they hit two.
WImom 10:41 AM 04-06-2011
Thanks everyone. The diaper thing is fine since I don't require them to be potty trained. Well I have something to think about now.
Rachel 11:14 PM 04-06-2011
I also have to chime in it depends very much on the child. My twins were much more baby like at 18 months, and so was my son, but my dd at 18 months would talk your ear off, and she was totally potty trained before she was 2. She would have done just fine in a program for slightly older kids. I also think there is a huge range in that age and I wouldn't eliminate a kid based on age alone. My dd was more ready for a preschool program at 18 months than her sisters were at 2 1/2. So much depends on the child. I would meet them and see if it's a fit for the program or not.
Tags:age appropriate, behaviour - ages
Reply Up