Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Always Be Vigilant....
AnythingsPossible 06:32 AM 02-03-2011
I heard about this story last night, and thought I would post a link to the story here as a reminder for all of us to be aware of what is going on in our homes. After initially deciding there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute the provider, they have recently reopened the case. They determined the infant had been dead for 2 hours upon discovery. Again, just a scary reminder to do what we should and check on our sleeping infants.....

http://trib.com/news/local/article_f...ae5d79089.html

Not sure the link will work, you may have to cut and paste if your interested in reading the news article.
cillybean83 06:35 AM 02-03-2011
my husbands ex girlfriend had a home daycare and one of her babies died of SIDS on her watch, there was nothing she could do, but it really messed her up
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 02-03-2011
We had a provider here in town that had a 4 month old die of SIDS and she did continue doing daycare for many years after but she shares openly that it did make her re-think everything she did. I can't imagine how horrible that would be. This provider and the mom are still good friends and I am glad they didnt suffer any type of blame issues and could accept it for what it was...a tragedy that no one could have changed and it was no one's fault.
cillybean83 06:43 AM 02-03-2011
the provider in the story though made a lot of mistakes, you can't leave a 3 month old for hours without at least peeking in on them and watching their chest move, and you definately shouldn't put them down on their belly!
AnythingsPossible 07:08 AM 02-03-2011
I know SIDS can happen at any time in any situation, my biggest concern with this story was that the infant was left unchecked for 2 hours at least!! That's crazy! They determined the cause of death was asphyxiation, not sure if that is what they classify SIDS under or not.
I would certainly never fault anyone for having an infant die of SIDS, i'm saddened by the idea that they didn't take the time to check and see something was wrong. Yes, there may have been nothing they could have done, but 2 hours in inexcusable in my book.
nannyde 08:23 AM 02-03-2011
Nichole and Whited walked downstairs to a bedroom where one of Whited's assistants had placed Tyler on a mat on the floor. Nichole stood outside the bedroom when Whited walked in to wake up Tyler, who was sleeping face down.

The child had been dead two hours.

This is one of the problems with home providers taking newborns and having them sleep on their belly on surfaces not approved for infant sleeping.

A baby who has had "back to sleep" is highly at risk when they are put on their bellies.

They have NO neck control. Very often babies cry during belly time so often the parents don't do it AT ALL. If the provider is doing belly time they MUST be right there with the child every second so they can see that the child isn't face planting. They need to also have the baby on a firm surface.

Babies need belly time. Providers need to be TRAINED on how to do belly time.
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nichole and Whited walked downstairs to a bedroom where one of Whited's assistants had placed Tyler on a mat on the floor. Nichole stood outside the bedroom when Whited walked in to wake up Tyler, who was sleeping face down.

The child had been dead two hours.

This is one of the problems with home providers taking newborns and having them sleep on their belly on surfaces not approved for infant sleeping.

A baby who has had "back to sleep" is highly at risk when they are put on their bellies.

They have NO neck control. Very often babies cry during belly time so often the parents don't do it AT ALL. If the provider is doing belly time they MUST be right there with the child every second so they can see that the child isn't face planting. They need to also have the baby on a firm surface.

Babies need belly time. Providers need to be TRAINED on how to do belly time.
THIS!!!! And all sleeping time is SUPERVISED time with small infants in childcare....
lvt77 10:09 AM 02-03-2011
omg this has brought me to tears... So sad and so scary.....
AfterSchoolMom 11:35 AM 02-03-2011
OMG, how horrible!!! I can't imagine anything worse than having something like that happen. However, I almost compulsively check on a baby while they're sleeping, even when they're sleeping in the same room!
mncare 12:02 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
OMG, how horrible!!! I can't imagine anything worse than having something like that happen. However, I almost compulsively check on a baby while they're sleeping, even when they're sleeping in the same room!
So do I. I am constantly checking my little ones!
Symphony 02:34 PM 02-03-2011
This happened in my state and our liscensing REQUIRES us to check on sleeping infants every few minutes. The fact that this child was not checked on for 2 hours is not ok. As the article also said, we are REQUIRED to place babies on their backs unless we have a doctor's note, and we are REQUIRED to have approved sleeping surfaces , which a mat on the floor is not.

Losing a child to SIDS is devastating and can happen even when everything is done correctly and with dilligence. This is not a case of any of those things and I think the provider should be held responsible.
Reply Up