Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DC Provider Asleep At Drop Off
Mom2TLE 04:24 PM 09-24-2012
I am a DC provider , I refered a dcp to another provider because dcg was to start kindergarten this year and I am not in her school boundries and was not going to transport. I had only heard through word of mouth that she was a good provider and have never personally met her. I still watch moms other 2 little ones. Today she came to me concerned because when she drops of dcg at 6am dcp is asleep on the couch, she'll acknoledge mom with a nod or a wave but does not get up. Her hours are stated that she opens at 6 so I think that she should be up and ready to accept kids at 6. I feel bad that I recomended this provider and she is not up to par on what I think is a basic part of running a home daycare. I recomended she talk to her and voice her concerns but am tempted to help her start looking for a new childcare. I would not want to leave my child somewhere that the provider is asleep when we arrive.
Oneluckymom 04:30 PM 09-24-2012
I totally agree with you. I could understand greeting at the door during drop off and just lying down on the sofa while DCG plays or watches tv formanbit. However, what she's doing sounds unprofessional to me. I really hope she is not truly asleep with kids in care.

I agree that the DC Parent should talk to her about it...could it be that she is pregnant, sick, etc? At least this would provide an explantation.
Happy Hearts 04:33 PM 09-24-2012
If I was the dcm, I would immediately start looking for new childcare. I would wonder that if the provider was not professional enough to be ready for the day and be asleep at drop off, what else is she being lazy about. Not acceptable!

I also wouldn't want to recommend someone else, unless you are 100% certain she is professional and trustworthy. Maybe give her the number to your local Child Referral office.
Mom2TLE 04:56 PM 09-24-2012
I don't believe she is sick, I don't know about pregnant but it has been going on for a few weeks. I was pregnant and supposed to be on bed rest but still got up to open to door and spent time with them until by sub showed up. I don't feel that either of those are an excuse not to get your butt off the couch. I only recomended her because I had a parent tell me that she liked it there when she had a child going there. I am hoping that she can work things out. We'll see how the rest of this week goes for her.
renodeb 05:59 PM 09-24-2012
I would run for the hills! The only time I dont get up and greet them at the door is if Im feeding a baby. I would feel weird walking in and seeing that.
I once recommended a provider who I thought was good and then I got a call from the parents the next day and they told me that she had them supply there own pnp and high chair. I didnt refer anyone else to her for a very long time. Now I only refer people to this one provider friend that I have known for a very long time. To much of a risk.
Deb
lovemykidstoo 06:03 PM 09-24-2012
That is ridiculous. So what do you mean that she just nods or waves? So, the dcg just lets herself in and then what does she do? If that happened one time, I would have taken my daughter and walked right back out. No way would I leave her there. There is no reason for a dc provider to be laying on the couch. If you're sick, don't work. If you're tired..dont' start work that early. Terrible.
daycare 06:03 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
I am a DC provider , I refered a dcp to another provider because dcg was to start kindergarten this year and I am not in her school boundries and was not going to transport. I had only heard through word of mouth that she was a good provider and have never personally met her. I still watch moms other 2 little ones. Today she came to me concerned because when she drops of dcg at 6am dcp is asleep on the couch, she'll acknoledge mom with a nod or a wave but does not get up. Her hours are stated that she opens at 6 so I think that she should be up and ready to accept kids at 6. I feel bad that I recomended this provider and she is not up to par on what I think is a basic part of running a home daycare. I recomended she talk to her and voice her concerns but am tempted to help her start looking for a new childcare. I would not want to leave my child somewhere that the provider is asleep when we arrive.
ugh that is NOT ok. There is NO reason why anyone should be asleep while kids are in care. This might sound mean, but you better not be breathing if you are laying horizontal with your eyes closed and you have any child in your house.

Also, I would not refer any one else to any providers again ever. Unless you really really know this person very well, don't let it come back on you.

I have a friend that owns her own business and she is always asking me for referrals to hire someone to work for her. NO way, her and I are really good friends and I could just see that coming back to hit me in the wrong way.

Is it possible for you to maybe watch the DCK for a few days until they do find someone?
juliebug 06:10 PM 09-24-2012
Wow that i crazy I can understand maybe oversleeping or something but if they are greeted all the time this way i would just run! if she can't get up and be ready i would worry what else is going on.
cheerfuldom 06:24 PM 09-24-2012
Sounds hugely unprofessional and how is the mom to know that she wasnt just going to go back to sleep, since the provider didnt even get up off the couch at drop off.
Lyss 06:39 PM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by juliebug:
if she can't get up and be ready i would worry what else is going on.
I agree! If she acts this way when mom is there...Think of what she's doing, or not doing, when mom isn't present
daycare123 06:57 PM 09-24-2012
why was she leaving her child there if the provider didn't even get off the couch? Or did i read that wrong?
Nickel 07:02 PM 09-24-2012
There is no way I would leave my child with someone who was asleep on the couch! Wow! Were there other dcks there? I would help her find another provider now. Even if she was sick it is completely unprofessional to be not even get up to great someone. I may not always be ready when a parent arrives, but I am awake alert and usually do a household chore like vaccuuming, sweeping, setting up the room. And if per chance I was on the couch I would jump up when dcp arrive! and if I was ill I would call the parents and let them know.

Otherwise it's almost sure that she fell back to sleep after dcm left. In the future, I woudn't recommend anyone unless I knew them personally. Otherwise it could tarnish your reputation.
Unregistered 07:47 PM 09-24-2012
6 a.m drop off for a kindergartener? Poor baby! What a looooong day that must be!
Mom2TLE 08:18 PM 09-24-2012
I think mom thought it was a fluke a one time thing but it keeps happening. Mom is a really good mom I am not blaming her, she is just too trusting and has a hard time finding someone that transports and opens at 6 plus she doesn't pick up until almost 6 due to her job. I just wanted to see if I was overreacting because I had dcg for almost 4 years and am a little overprotective of her. I will be helping her find someone else starting tommorrow. Thanks for justifying my feelings I think that that is what I was looking for.
My3cents 04:39 AM 09-25-2012
this reminds me of Hoarders. The Grandmother was watching the child and the parents were bringing this child into an unsafe environment for the child. The parents knew the child was napping in a dog bed on the floor surrounded by high piles of clutter, yet they continued to bring that child into that. The child was 6, trying to get the grandmother to throw trash out and get rid of stuff.

Sick

but worse for the parents who allowed that because daycare was expensive and 1/2 the income. No excuse. Child endangerment and mental issues not for just the gram but for the parents that were clueless. Anyone else see this? I just happen to catch it. UGH
rhymia1 05:13 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
this reminds me of Hoarders. The Grandmother was watching the child and the parents were bringing this child into an unsafe environment for the child. The parents knew the child was napping in a dog bed on the floor surrounded by high piles of clutter, yet they continued to bring that child into that. The child was 6, trying to get the grandmother to throw trash out and get rid of stuff.

Sick

but worse for the parents who allowed that because daycare was expensive and 1/2 the income. No excuse. Child endangerment and mental issues not for just the gram but for the parents that were clueless. Anyone else see this? I just happen to catch it. UGH
I did not catch that show, but I see it all the time. The provider behaves badly and the parents continue sending their child there. Often they say things like "But Susie Looooooves Ms. Sally!" to justify it. I always want to say "But if Ms. Sally really looooved Susie she would do a better job"
brookeroo 05:23 AM 09-25-2012
My brother is supposed to drop my nephew off at 6:30 in the morning but in the past it's been a 45 -60 minute window that he has actually showed up. That was last year. So far the latest he's come this year (hes a teacher) is 6:50. I have been really on him about how I am making an exception for him and doing this as a favor by taking his son that early since my technical hours are supposed to be 7am-5. I get up at 6:20 and snooze a little until he gets here but I still always meet him at the door in my pj's. I would do the same for anyone else that early.

I prefer to get in the shower at 6:45. So when he's late it throws my whole morning off. My regular DCKs don't start coming until 7:20ish. If they get there before 7:45 I lay them down when they get here. (They are all under 1.5).

BECAUSE my brother is so unpredictable I don't get up early to be ready because I never know when he's going to show. It could be 6:30 or 7:30 and has been as late at 8 (last year). I'm not going to get up at 5:30-5:45 to get ready for someone who isn't possibly going to show until 7:30... therefore I'm also not always ready when people show up. I've explained this to them all and they totally seem understanding of it. Especially since I started doing this when my daughter was 6 months old and I was still nursing her through the night. I still have a lot of sleepless nights with her. Usually I have just enough time to get my clothes on but my hair is still wet when I greet people.

I don't think it's appropriate by any means but especially if it's not something she's been doing in the past there may be a reason for her that she hasn't shared.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 09-25-2012
If you really want to help, I would personally call my state's licensing department and inform them of what I was told.

I know it is coming second hand from someone else but hey, better safe than sorry.

If it was a one time thing, then the provider won't be in trouble but if it is the general way in which she operates, then a call to licensing is neeeded.

I would probably suggest DCM be the one to call but honestly if I were in your shoes, I might call my licensor and give her a heads up about what I was told.

My licensor is fantastic about things like that and has a great relationship with all the providers in my county. She would aprpeciate the concern and the call.
SunshineMama 07:06 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
The fact that she acknowledged the parent but didnt even get off of the couch is a little strange. I wouldnt even dream of just laying on the couch in any situation where people came over to my house. I dont really have a problem with the provider being asleep at drop off as long as she was alert and ready to go the second the child walked in. The fact that she couldn't even act chipper or even fake it at the very least for the 5 minute drop off is a huge red flag!
Oneluckymom 07:40 AM 09-25-2012
The fact that she couldn't even act chipper or even fake it at the very least for the 5 minute drop off is a huge red flag!

Yes, I think this too. I would be concerned. It is an early drop off, however you still need to greet parents and help child say goodbye and start the morning alert.
iheartkids 07:46 AM 09-25-2012
I receive kids as early as 6:00 and I am dress, making coffee and getting my house ready. That first kid may go lay down on the couch if she feels like it and if she does I will sneak on the computer or watch TV. If she can't function that early in the morning than she shouldn't be taking kids then.
thebabyplayplace 09:59 AM 09-25-2012
That is truly unprofessional. No matter what time it is, I always greet my parents dressed. I may not have shoes on but they expect that most of the time because I have a no shoe policy due to the crawlers. I may even have my head scarf still on but it's only if I forget to take it off.
I cannot imagine not getting up off the couch. That's ridiculous. I would have turned right back around with my child and walked out the door.
Not only is it unprofessional but it's rude. My sister in the past has dropped my nieces off super early but I was pregnant and tired and they all came in and piled in bed with me. My daycare was technically closed except for her that week.
But for a mom to come in the first time ever and have a provider sleeping... noway.
If one of my assistants fell asleep while the children were in her care it is grounds for a write up or termination.
New childcare must be found immediately...
My3cents 10:22 AM 09-25-2012

Sick

I forgot to mention that I blame the parents for leaving the child at this home just as much if not more then the irresponsible provider. If I walked into that I would have walked back out with my child. ugh!
daycare 10:56 AM 09-25-2012
I forgot to mention that I blame the parents for leaving the child at this home just as much if not more then the irresponsible provider. If I walked into that I would have walked back out with my child. ugh!
oooohhhhhh soooooo true.....thats like saying I burnt my hand on your stove even though I saw the flame on.....
Reply Up