Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing To Having Locked Doors
brookeroo 08:06 PM 10-01-2012
So because of more than one extenuating circumstance recently I have been debating on locking my doors through out the day. Although I do not want to alarm my parents in thinking that their children are not being watched in a safe area. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts how to present this.

Mainly because today an issue was presented of one parent that I have. DCM called today and said she was putting a restraining order on her ex and I am no longer permitted to allow her child to be picked up by him. He is the biological father. I told her that I have to have a copy of a court order in order to enforce her wishes, which she is going to seek tomorrow.

I don't know all the details of what is going on with them. I have considered asking because I do have concerns that he has gotten physical with her. I'm thinking if she is getting a restraining order that may obviously be the case and maybe I should know about that but at the same time it may be hard to continue to be neutral if I know all the details of what is going on between them. I am not a big person by any means....

Obviously, I don't want to tell my daycare parents about this because not only is that not professional but I don't want to alarm them. Just not sure how to address any reasons as to why I'm wanting to keep the door locked now. They have always just walked right in.

Suggestions??
nanglgrl 08:39 PM 10-01-2012
Just tell them it was a suggestion made by the State in a class you took or that you have a child who has taken an interest in opening doors and since you do sometimes have to be out of site (bathroom) you've decided to keep the doors locked for safety. I know in my state we are supposed to have an "open door policy" and a lot of providers think that means you have to leave your doors unlocked but I asked DHS and she said that they prefer us to lock our doors.
Happy Hearts 08:58 PM 10-01-2012
My doors are locked all the time. I even have a latch near the top of every door so the children can't reach (in case they can unlock the door knob). I think it's comforting for the parents to know their child cannot get out. If we're outside, I leave a note on the door telling them to come around to the back yard. Can't be too safe nowadays
brookeroo 04:52 AM 10-02-2012
Most of my kids are under 1.5 except for one that is 2.5. His parents are the ones having the problems. I may be getting a 3 year old part-time though. In Indiana we are not required to be licensed so we do not have to take classes. I do not have a license but I follow all the laws. I don't think there is a law about this.
NeedaVaca 05:11 AM 10-02-2012
When I first started my daycare I left doors unlocked thinking it made the parents more comfortable knowing they could come in whenever to check on their child. Then I actually had a parent ask me to start locking the door. I was happy to do this. I'm in a very safe neighborhood, it's not so much about someone coming in the house but rather a child getting out of the house. Now it's always locked and all the parents are totally fine with it.
rhymia1 05:45 AM 10-02-2012
I live in a rural, low crime area. It's the kind of place where a lot of people leave their doors unlocked...The year I first started providing care, the neighborhood near mine had a ton of break ins - well, no one really had to break in, they just walked

My thought is that we always feel safe, until the one time you don't and it's too late. My doors are always locked for this reason and parents are fine with it.
Meeko 05:52 AM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
Most of my kids are under 1.5 except for one that is 2.5. His parents are the ones having the problems. I may be getting a 3 year old part-time though. In Indiana we are not required to be licensed so we do not have to take classes. I do not have a license but I follow all the laws. I don't think there is a law about this.
You don't need to give your daycare parents a reason.

Just inform them you have a new policy. If anyone specifically asks......tell them you thought it was a good idea so you added it. That's all you need to say.
cheerfuldom 06:07 AM 10-02-2012
I always lock my doors. I dont understand how a parent would feel safe knowing that the door to the house is always unlocked.....
MyAngels 06:09 AM 10-02-2012
There doesn't have to be a law about it. If you really want to give a reason you could use any of these:

I was talking with some other providers and it seems to be the norm in the area.

It was suggested by a police officer friend of mine.

It was suggested in a seminar/class/webinar that I attended.
jokalima 06:10 AM 10-02-2012
I always have my doors locked, parents never ask about it, only time I leave them unlocked is at drop off time and pickup time, during rest of the day is closed.
sassysue 06:19 AM 10-02-2012
Wasn't there someone who posted on here about a lock with programmable codes? I think you could set it so each parent had their own code and it only worked with their scheduled pick up and drop off times? Or was I dreaming this?
I would love topurchase this.If I remember it was kind of pricey but sounded like a good idea.
Loveyoustinkyface 06:21 AM 10-02-2012
Two years ago, two weeks before Christmas someone just walked right into my home!!! My dog didn't bark, my children were playing in their bedrooms and I was in the laundry room. I walked into the family room and there stood a woman! She looked surprised too. Not sure how long she was there either. I was shocked! I asked her WHY she was in my house and she said "I'm looking for Dana, is this her house?" I think she was scoping me out for Cmas presents, we had a two-foot tree that year and no presents out. (Nothing tempting to steal). I walked her out of the house, asked her if she knocked, she claims she did. AND the dog never barked either...I got her tag number and placed a report to police just in case......

I think it's a good habit to have, locking your front door. I also lock my car doors now too, even when I am in it!
Crazy8 08:46 AM 10-02-2012
I would just say "for safety reasons" your doors will be locked. You don't owe anyone specifics!

I live in what I believe is a pretty safe neighborhood but there is still crime - recently there was a string of cars broken into overnight - they just went from driveway to driveway and if the car was unlocked they took what they wanted -they didn't mess with breaking windows or anything. I have heard of houses broken into around here too, they often are looking for "easy targets" so don't give them one - lock your doors!!
SunshineMama 09:34 AM 10-02-2012
So because of more than one extenuating circumstance recently I have been debating on locking my doors through out the day. Although I do not want to alarm my parents in thinking that their children are not being watched in a safe area. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts how to present this.

Mainly because today an issue was presented of one parent that I have. DCM called today and said she was putting a restraining order on her ex and I am no longer permitted to allow her child to be picked up by him. He is the biological father. I told her that I have to have a copy of a court order in order to enforce her wishes, which she is going to seek tomorrow.

I don't know all the details of what is going on with them. I have considered asking because I do have concerns that he has gotten physical with her. I'm thinking if she is getting a restraining order that may obviously be the case and maybe I should know about that but at the same time it may be hard to continue to be neutral if I know all the details of what is going on between them. I am not a big person by any means....

Obviously, I don't want to tell my daycare parents about this because not only is that not professional but I don't want to alarm them. Just not sure how to address any reasons as to why I'm wanting to keep the door locked now. They have always just walked right in.

Suggestions??
My handbook states, "For the saftey of the children, the doors will remain locked at all times. Please refrain from ringing the doorbell at naptime....etc etc). I live on a Cul-de-sac in probably one of the safest places you can live and I still lock all doors. A locked door does not mean you live in an unsafe neighborhood- it's like the same reason you wear a seatbelt. You are probably fine and hopefully will never need it, but you want the security and peace of mind anyway.

I think you just need to tell the parents that you will be keeping the doors locked from now on, or make up a little newsletter or addendum to your handbook that states that for the safety of the children all doors will remain locked. Maybe add any other policy updates that you have been meaning to get around to as well.

If you feel that you owe the parents further explanation, then you can tell them that you are taking measures to make sure that none of the kids try to walk out, or that you like the peace of mind in knowing that the door is secure. I would think they would be on board- most daycares have locked doors or even doorbell entryways these days anyway
momma2girls 10:23 AM 10-03-2012
I lock mine at all times! I unlock it when children are arriving and leaving only.
Tags:court order, locking doors, restraining order
Reply Up