Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Magic Eraser??
Cradle2crayons 05:27 PM 04-27-2013
I just saw on my local news... That a school (a school for special Ed and ei students) used a magic eraser pad on a child's face to remove a temporary tattoo... And it caused a huge chemical burn.... Thoughts on this?
MyAngels 05:31 PM 04-27-2013
They are labeled to "keep away from children" for this reason I'm sure. They're actually pretty abrasive, so I don't know if it was a chemical burn or an abrasion type injury.

Hard to believe someone would actually use that on a child's face.
Cradle2crayons 06:07 PM 04-27-2013
The pictures showed at first the area was a bright red circle.... Ten a few days later e skin sloughed off... And it did look just like a burn... Horrible...
Sunshine74 06:18 PM 04-27-2013
That is terrible what the school did to the child. I agree with PP with doubts that it was a chemical burn. Magic Erasers are made with melamine foam which is very abrasive- which is how it works. The original ones have no chemicals in them, just the melamine foam- though there are different kinds, some that have other things in them.

Regardless of all this (probably unnecessary info) the staff at the school should know better then to use anything on a child's face other then soap and water.
blandino 06:41 PM 04-27-2013
I had a DCB miss one day this week for this exact reason. He wrote all over himself with sharpie and DCM used a magic eraser to try and remove it.

DCM is an informed, cautious, mother, so it was bizarre that this would happen to them. But I couldn't help but thinking of the stories I have heard about daycares using magic erasers on skin, and it being a big ordeal.
Cradle2crayons 07:37 PM 04-27-2013
I don't use anything on anybody without analyzing ingredients... But magic eraser is just oneofnthose things that seems like common sense....I dunno... I guess not.... Sad sad thing
Patches 10:49 PM 04-27-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I had a DCB miss one day this week for this exact reason. He wrote all over himself with sharpie and DCM used a magic eraser to try and remove it.

DCM is an informed, cautious, mother, so it was bizarre that this would happen to them. But I couldn't help but thinking of the stories I have heard about daycares using magic erasers on skin, and it being a big ordeal.
Really?! More than ONE person has actually done this?
Patches 10:51 PM 04-27-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I don't use anything on anybody without analyzing ingredients... But magic eraser is just oneofnthose things that seems like common sense....I dunno... I guess not.... Sad sad thing
You would think. But, yo know what they say. Common sense is not so sommon anymore
Angelsj 06:11 AM 04-28-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
Really?! More than ONE person has actually done this?
Actually a friend of mine did as well. Maybe because it looks so harmless that people just don't think?? Her little girl used a sharpie to "draw" a tatoo on her arm and mom figured it takes it off the walls, why not the arm? When her arm started getting all red, she stopped and took her in.

It was a big investigation, but mom was just a little flighty, she is not abusive.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 04-28-2013
My dog ate a Magic Eraser once.

He foamed at the mouth for a couple hours.

We called poison control and our vet and were told to just get lots of water in him to dilute the chemicals.

I'm sure it would have been a completely different experience had the ingestor been human verses canine.
Maddy'sMommy 08:02 AM 04-28-2013
I would never even think to use a magic eraser on a person. Crazy.
AmyKidsCo 03:48 PM 04-28-2013
Yikes! I wouldn't ever use it on a person either. I don't even use them for cleaning anymore because I've taken paint off walls and varnish off wood with them. Plus they make my hands feel weird when I use them.
e.j. 04:09 PM 04-28-2013
I've been using Magic Eraser around my house this weekend. I checked the box and in the "Caution" area, not only does it state to keep it away from children, it also states, "Do not use on skin or other parts of the body. Using on skin will likely cause abrasions." I think whoever used the Magic Eraser on that child is in for a world of legal trouble.
Angelsj 04:36 PM 04-28-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My dog ate a Magic Eraser once.

He foamed at the mouth for a couple hours.

We called poison control and our vet and were told to just get lots of water in him to dilute the chemicals.

I'm sure it would have been a completely different experience had the ingestor been human verses canine.
Poor puppy! I can't imagine what would make them "tasty" though...ewww.
Reply Up