Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A little Halloween Fun!
Brooksie 08:32 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year?
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be?
How's the trick or treating scene in your area?
Whats your favorite type of candy?
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul?
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year?
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house?
Is your house decorated?
Whats your favorite Halloween movie?

Hope every one has a fun and SAFE Halloween this year!
Brooksie 08:39 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
What are your kids going as this year? My dd (3 next month) is going as Rapunzel. Since pretty much every girl under the age of 4 is also going to be Rapunzel, we special ordered a custom Rapunzel tutu and really went all out. She looks so beautiful!
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? This year I'll be a witch (always am), normally I don't dress up for ToT but dbf said his parents always did for him and he wanted to start the tradition with my daughter. Sweet, so I'll participate.
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? We have a neighborhood behind our street that is a historical victorian style neighborhood. Big beautiful houses with big porches. Everyone goes all out and it is definitely the prime trick or treating zone in my town.
Whats your favorite type of candy? Tootsie pops!
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? DD is allergic to Dairy and Soy so 95% of the candy she gets she can't have. We have a back up stash of allergy free lollipops here for her that we will switch out, then divvy up her haul between the adults
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? This is my first year being able to go since turning 21! lol (I'm almost 25) But I've have my daughter for all the Holidays and my mom is taking her tomorrow so I can go to a Halloween party at my favorite Irish Pub. My best girlfriend is coming down and we will be double dating to the event. Can't WAIT!
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Everyone trick or treats in the neighborhood behind my house and no one makes it to my street. Fine with me! I can enjoy ToTing with dd and not have to worry about it
Is your house decorated? We have stuff on the front door and pumpkins and mums but nothing in the yard.
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? Nightmare before Christmas! or Rocky Horror (but thats really an all year round thing)

Blackcat31 08:50 AM 10-31-2013

My children are grown ups. I don't think either one is going to be dressing up.
I am not going to be dressing up but I am going to be 45.

Neighborhood trick or treating has declined over the years....I am sure due to safety and all. Our mall, the fire department AND the children's community center put on Halloween parties with trick or treating booths set up for the kids to go to in order to collect candy.

I am NOT a fan of chocolate or candy but I do enjoy a Salted Nut Roll now and then.

When my kids were younger, they were free to eat their candy haul as they wished. My kids were pretty good about knowing their own limitations. Neither has a big sweet tooth so I was lucky in that area.

Nope. Haven't gone to one and am not planning to.

Nope. My driveway is a mile long into a heavy wooded area....most aren't brave enough to venture up. IF on the rare occasion they do, they see my dog (think Cujo) and usually back out s l o w l y.

Is your house decorated?
Nope. I do NOT decorate for any season. I have enough junk to dust/clean around as it is, I am certainly not going to put more things out....
I also have a kitten who thinks anything in the house that moves, swings, flutters or lights up is hers.

I am a little partial to the first Halloween movie. Scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid. NOT a fan of sequels but the original is always a good one.

I also LOVE Psycho. The original, NOT any of the remakes.

Other than that I hate scary movies.

Hope you have a fantastic Halloween too Brooksie!
Lyss 09:02 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? DD is going to be a witch... from our dress up collection I was lazy and really she loves wearing the outfit so it's win-win

Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Nope, I'm boring this year.

How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Our neighborhood sucks for trick or treating, last year only 5 houses (of over 30) had lights on but just down the road is prime trick or treating grounds

Whats your favorite type of candy? Kit Kat!! Yum!

Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Yes, DD will get a bit here and there but really dad's excited for the candy

Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? Nope

Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Not really. We're at the end of a block where really no one gives out candy and its a cul de sac so no one wants to walk down to the end of our street for one house. I'm ok with that though! The first year I was sad but now that DD is going out I'm glad.

Is your house decorated? Nope, I have a huge box of Halloween stuff but I never got it out. Man I'm feeling like a Halloween scrooge this year now and I normally love Halloween!

What's your favorite Halloween movie? Psycho.

Happy Halloween!
DaycareMom 09:38 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? My DD is Leonardo and DS is Donatello (from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

Are you dressing up? Yea, I am Michaelangelo and DH is Raphael!

How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Awesome! (depending on the neighborhood)

Whats your favorite type of candy? Anything Reeses

We pool it all together and they get one to a few per day (plus mommy and daddy eat it too)

Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? My DD had a Halloween party today at school, but other than that - No

Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Not at all. We are in a woodsy area

Is your house decorated? I have Halloween window clings and some pumpkins and ghosts, plus the Halloween crafts the kids did. Outside, just mums and the pumpkins we carved.

What's your favorite Halloween movie? Hocus Pocus!

Happy Halloween!
craftymissbeth 09:46 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? Clark Kent
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Nope
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Meh. We hit up my sister's neighborhood which is better lit and a whole lot nicer and safer than ours
Whats your favorite type of candy? Candy bars.... esp Snickers!
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Nah. I'd rather him eat it all ASAP and be done with it. He's old enough to know that eating too much at a time makes him sick
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Not very many
Is your house decorated? No, I'd love to decorate but holiday deco isn't a big priority for us right now
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? Hmmm... my fave horror movies are the Saw movies

Here is a picture of my ds as Clark Kent this morning before school
Attached: image.jpg (43.3 KB) 
Leanna 09:54 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? Mine are all teenagers so, nothing. Well, my oldest is very hippie so he looks like that everyday. My girl is goth so everyday is Halloween to her! My youngest is going to a concert with a friend.
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Nope. I always wear headbands though so I have on a kitty-ear headband.
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Not great. I live i a large university area so a lot of obnoxious students and adults trick-or treating.
Whats your favorite type of candy? I love twizzlers and starburst but I only have peanut-free, egg-free, gluten-free candy this year bc of my daycare kiddos.
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? I used to. They would get to pick a piece after dinner. After about three day of that I would bake a treat for dessert and they would forget about the candy (which I would then pawn off on friends with sweet teeth).
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? Nope, not unless you count the daycare one!
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Some.
Is your house decorated? Not for Halloween, but for Autumn with a leaf wreath, scarecrows, a hay bale, and pumpkins.
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? It's the great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! I don't like scary movies. I don't even like my own shadow.

Added: Anyone have favorite Halloween books for the kids?
I LOVE How Spider Saved Halloween and the Halloweiner.
coolconfidentme 10:04 AM 10-31-2013
My kids are going as adults! (youngest is 25)

I’m going to be a referrer…, seems fitting for the line of work I do.

How's the trick or treating scene in your area? !

WET! It’s postponed.

I don’t candy, boo hoo!

If they are brave enough to go out at their age, they can keep it all!

Nope, I’m running a marathon on Saturday though. I’m going as a runner.

Never at my house, but I’m passing out candy at my DC!

Is your house decorated?

I don’t even put up a Xmas tree. (what a Grinch I am)

Does Monster’s University count?
BrooklynM 10:18 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? My 14 year old is Monica Abbott the softball player (she loves softball and has met Monica Abbott and got one of her jerseys), My son is Colin Kaepernick (49ers player).
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? I'm just wearing a Superman shirt (with a cape) and Superman socks with capes on the back.
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? BUSY!
Whats your favorite type of candy? 3 Musketeers and banana Laffy Taffy
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Nope. They have never ever finished their candy. They usually take it to the dentist for a buy back program after they've picked out their favorites.
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? TONS. I'm prepared for about 100 so I'm hoping that will be enough.
Is your house decorated? A little
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! (I hate scary movies, I'm a scardy cat!)

Happy Halloween everyone!
MsLaura529 10:23 AM 10-31-2013
DD (4.5) is also going as Rapunzel. She is OBSESSED with Tangled. I straightened her hair (normally super curly and upper-back length) so it is long (down to her butt) and we don't need a wig, haha. DS (2.5) is Batman.

Nope, just wearing my pumpkin face shirt.

Normally very exciting. However, it is rainy and windy and a lot of places are post-poning trick or treating. Haven't heard anything about our city yet, but it should be pretty yucky

Reese's, snickers, 3 musketeers ...

Yes, They get a piece after dinner, and MAYBE one during the day. DH takes a lot to work with him.

Nope

Not sure, this is our first year in the house for Halloween. We take the kids to my parent's neighborhood though, since the houses are much closer together and we KNOW there's a lot happening there. We do leave a bowl of candy out though. There are not a lot of kids in this neighborhood anyways.

Is your house decorated?
A little. We have ghosts on the trees and our jack-o-lanterns out.

I've gotta say the good ole' Charlie Brown Halloween special (although, it's not as good as the Christmas one).
snbauser 10:23 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? Only my youngest is dressing. He is 11 and is an evil jester
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Of course. I am a red crayon
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Not as crazy as when we first moved here. The year after we moved in I counted kids and stopped at like 145. It has dwindled some as the kids have grown but we still probably get around 50-60
Whats your favorite type of candy? Anything reese's
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Nope. I am of the mindset the sooner it is gone the sooner we are done with it
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? about 50-60 each year
Is your house decorated? yes
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? ? I don't really watch movies and I definitely don't do scary movies.

Happy Halloween!
My3cents 10:50 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year?first year no kids to go for me, sad as I love Halloween. I am not staying home, too young to pass out candy-
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? already dressed- witch
How's the trick or treating scene in your area?some years great some year not so great
Whats your favorite type of candy?I don't eat candy usually, no chocolate for me
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? no I would just tell them not to go nuts or I would take it away. They never did.
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? Exercising,going out with a friend
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house?a few, we put a bowl of candy out and go on the honor system, when it is gone it is gone
Is your house decorated?not this year, but usually I go nuts with it.
Whats your favorite Halloween movie?Charlie Brown. I don't like scary movies

Hope you do too Brooksie~
Brooksie 10:58 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
What are your kids going as this year? Clark Kent
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Nope
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Meh. We hit up my sister's neighborhood which is better lit and a whole lot nicer and safer than ours
Whats your favorite type of candy? Candy bars.... esp Snickers!
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Nah. I'd rather him eat it all ASAP and be done with it. He's old enough to know that eating too much at a time makes him sick
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Not very many
Is your house decorated? No, I'd love to decorate but holiday deco isn't a big priority for us right now
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? Hmmm... my fave horror movies are the Saw movies

This costume is adorable!
melilley 11:03 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? Dd a vampire, ds, some kind of cute monster
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Maybe-a witch
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? We have a little cute neighborhood
Whats your favorite type of candy? Snickers!
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Somewhat
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? No
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Some
Is your house decorated? A little
Charlie Brown Halloween
Hope every one has a fun and SAFE Halloween this year! You too!
Brooksie 11:04 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Added: Anyone have favorite Halloween books for the kids?
I LOVE How Spider Saved Halloween and the Halloweiner.
We love "Halloweiner" as well (that's our new halloween book, I also have been reading "The Soup Bone" and "The little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything"
melilley 11:05 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:

How stinkin cute!
Brooksie 11:06 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
[b]DD (4.5) is also going as Rapunzel. She is OBSESSED with Tangled. I straightened her hair (normally super curly and upper-back length) so it is long (down to her butt) and we don't need a wig, haha.
OMG thats awesome! DD has long curly hair too but I wouldn't dream of trying to straighten hers at this age. What a fun thing for your daughter, to have real rapunzel hair for a day

Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
What are your kids going as this year? My DD is Leonardo and DS is Donatello (from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

Are you dressing up? Yea, I am Michaelangelo and DH is Raphael!
Best family costume ever.
AcornMama 11:25 AM 10-31-2013
My kids are so goofy happy about this. We haven't traditionally done Halloween, but our new church has a fall festival and welcomes non-scary costumes, so mine are dressing up with whatever we already had around the house. We'll have a Superman, a colonial girl, a generic celebrity/rock star, a jedi, a generic super hero, a little Jane Austen, and an 18yo tolerating the rest of her family.
Nope, but wearing orange and black.
No trick or treating on our street...too wooded/secluded and only a few houses spread out on 2-5 acre lots...not the best for trick or treating.
Hmm, anything chocolate. York Peppermint Patties, maybe.
This will be our first time in like 16 years, but it's trunk or treat. So I don't know. Weird, I know, that I have 7 kids ranging from 6 to 18 and most of them have never experienced any of this.
Just the fall festival at church tonight.
Nope.
Is your house decorated?
Just a pumpkin.
I guess the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown movie.
CedarCreek 11:30 AM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? My oldest is a Ghostbuster, my youngest is Batman. I tried to get him to be a ghostbuster too but he rebelled
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? I am a pumpkin. For some reason, my kids love it!
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? We usually go door to door in our neighborhood but the rain is going to make that impossible, I think
Whats your favorite type of candy? REESES
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? No
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? We have gone to a couple of fall festivals that were awesome!
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Yes, usually a lot.
Is your house decorated? It is, I wish I could do it scarier though but my dcks are wimps! Jk.
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? Hocus Pocus, of course!
MsLaura529 11:35 AM 10-31-2013
OMG thats awesome! DD has long curly hair too but I wouldn't dream of trying to straighten hers at this age. What a fun thing for your daughter, to have real rapunzel hair for a day
yes ... except now we just have to convince her that she is NOT growing her hair out to her toes like she wants, and that she will need a hair cut very soon, haha.

I have only straightened her hair 3 times .... she LOVES it (because then it looks longer). I think she ages 5 years when it's straightened. And everyone always freaks out when I tell them I have straightened it, that it won't curl again, but even an hour after straightening, it's starting to curl back up already ... and come bath time, she has her bouncing ringlet again.
Brooksie 12:29 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
yes ... except now we just have to convince her that she is NOT growing her hair out to her toes like she wants, and that she will need a hair cut very soon, haha.

I have only straightened her hair 3 times .... she LOVES it (because then it looks longer). I think she ages 5 years when it's straightened. And everyone always freaks out when I tell them I have straightened it, that it won't curl again, but even an hour after straightening, it's starting to curl back up already ... and come bath time, she has her bouncing ringlet again.
Sounds like my daughters hair. Id doesnt touch her shoulders, but when its wet its past the middle of her back. Love little girls with curls <3
jenboo 12:33 PM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? No Kids Yet
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Not dressing up for halloween but we went to a costume party last weekend for a dcb and my husband dressed as a tree and i was a koala.
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Last year we had so many kids, we ran out of candy!
Whats your favorite type of candy?chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? I will when i have kids
Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year? not this year, but i went to one last year. Maybe next year ill host one
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? lots
Is your house decorated? I plan on decorating a little...right before the trick or treaters come..im a slacker
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? I dont have one

I love dressing up in costumes! I always make my husband do a couples costume with me...he hates it but is a good sport
Cradle2crayons 01:02 PM 10-31-2013
Is your house decorated?

My daughter is going as an army commando, son as a police officer, myself as a hunter lol. Special dcg as an angel and her little brother as a skeleton.

Can't trick or treat out here in the woods so we are going to our usual subdivision about 20 minutes from here.

Reese's oh.my.gosh. Lol my all time favorite and yes I ration out their candy

No Halloween parties here and no trick or treaters here either, although i miss that

We are decorated minimally because the cats UNdecorate haha

I don't really have a fav Halloween movie, I love them all!!
Country Kids 02:29 PM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? ydd is going as an 80's girl!! She has long hair which has been in a pony all day so when she takes that out-whala we have 80's hair. We bought lots of 80's things this year and she is going to wear my original bright pink 85 sweatshirt. Yds going going in a black morf suit.

Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be?Nope, never time to get me ready

How's the trick or treating scene in your area?We are going to our church and participate in the trunk or treat and go to surrounding neighborhoods

Whats your favorite type of candy?HHMM-almond joy

Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul?no, what they get is theirs.

Is any one going to, or already gone to a Halloween Party this year?We never get invited to anything like this

Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house?Never been home-not sure

Is your house decorated?yes and have more things to put up for thanksgiving

Whats your favorite Halloween movie?Hocus Pocus, Halloween town (all of them) anything like that.
nanglgrl 06:09 PM 10-31-2013
I'm so glad it's over. These minion costumes were a pain to make!
Attached: image.jpg (110.3 KB) 
KDC 07:00 PM 10-31-2013
What are your kids going as this year? (Son-8 Mario, Daughter-6 Purple bat princess, Son-4 Spiderman)
Are you dressing up? If so, what are you going to be? Nope...
How's the trick or treating scene in your area? Crazy... newer big subdivision probably about 100-125 trick-or-treaters
Whats your favorite type of candy? Snickers, butterfingers...
Do you portion out your kids trick or treat haul? Yes, my daughter has two food categories, fruit or sweets...
Do you guys get trick or treaters at your house? Ton
Is your house decorated? A little bit, not overly done, but festive
Whats your favorite Halloween movie? Not a fan of scary movies...

Nanglgrl - Those costumes were amazing!! Might have been a pain to do, but they looked fantastic, great job!!
Brooksie 05:01 AM 11-01-2013
DSC06737.jpg
Me and my Rapunzel!!! <3
Attached:
Reply Up