Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - Did You Get Gift(s) For Your Child's Teacher?
DaycareMom 11:37 AM 12-17-2013
My DD started Kindergarten this year.
I wasn't sure if I should do anything for Christmas, but since my DD loves her teachers, I got each of them a thank you card, a fleece blanket, a candle, and a little Santa container filled with M&Ms. My total cost for both teachers was probably around $15-20.
I know how it feels to feel unappreciated so I wanted to at least show some appreciation.

Now I am wondering if it's not enough? Or too much?

This is her first year in school so I am not sure.

Did you get your child's teacher a gift?
WImom 11:41 AM 12-17-2013
My kids have a "giving tree" at school that each of the classes can add to. This way we can pick something off if we want to purchase and it's for the whole class, things the teacher needs. This is what I did this year. In years past I usually spent around $10 each but that included my daughters Orchestra teacher. Once they are in Middle School I won't be doing gifts anymore.

I think your gift is great!
SunnyDay 11:42 AM 12-17-2013
My kids made their teachers cards, and I wrote them a card. We gave each of my son's preschool teachers a $10 gift card, and my daughter's 1st grade teacher a $30 gift card.
Soccermom 11:42 AM 12-17-2013
Our school sends out a memo every year asking the kids to not send any gifts for their teachers. They are only allowed to bring a homemade card.

A lot of parents don't follow that rule but I think it really is in the best interest of the children since there are a lot of children here who really just can't afford to compete with some of the more wealthy families living on the coast here.

It is sad when one kid shows up with a little dollar tree ornament and the kid behind him shows up with a 100$ GC for the spa.
melilley 11:47 AM 12-17-2013
I (ummhmmm my daughter) gives her teachers gifts every year. This year she has a main teacher and then a different science and different math teacher so I got them all something. I like what you got your dd's teachers, I'm sure they'll love the gifts!
2 young 2 feel this old 11:54 AM 12-17-2013
I encourage my kids to listen to the teacher and when they say they are running low of something we grab that as a gift. The teachers have been touched that the kids are paying attention and that they do not have to use their personal money to buy school supplies. If the kids don't have an idea we have done jars of candy or $5 gift cards for coffee/ice cream. This year my daughter is in middle school and has sculpted each teacher a magnet, science teacher got a beaker - math teacher a calculator ect. (she is very talented ) I think it is the gesture that counts, not the amount.
hope 11:58 AM 12-17-2013
I give a nice bottle of wine to each teacher. I'm not sure if alcohol is even allowed on school property but I figure it's sealed and wrapped. Teachers have always loved the gift!
KSDC 12:00 PM 12-17-2013
We give gifts because our teachers here are awesome and under appreciated.

I do try to avoid anything that isn't consumable or usable. They only have so much space for another apple decoration, KWIM?

Some years we have donated books to the school library in their name and had our children help write thank you letters to their teacher(s).

This year we did chocolate and caffeine.

Each teacher got a diet coke or coffee with a bag of chocolates.
Reply Up