Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sliding Glass Doors
grateday 07:19 AM 03-05-2015
Thinking of doing some re-arranging of rooms in the home for the childcare.

The room I want to use as a playroom has a sliding glass door though.

I am contemplating the difficulty of this. Does anyone have a room that has a sliding glass door.

Pro's ?? Lets in more natural lighting/ Healthy Vit. D for the kids, my current one is kind of dark because the windows are so high up. Easier to get outside transition.

Cons of it ?? Kids trying to run outside more. Chucking a toy at it and breaking it.
AmyLeigh 07:50 AM 03-05-2015
I have two sliding glass doors in my playroom. I've never had any issues with them, other than constant fingerprints, lol. The natural light is wonderful and my dog gets to watch the kids play.
LysesKids 08:23 AM 03-05-2015
I do know in some states licensing requires you to have something on the windows so kids don't run into it... in other words so it is obvious that something is there (who can keep glass clean with kids running around lol)

When I first started 15 years ago, WV allowed me to put window clings on the glass doors at child height (all my kids were 5 or younger)
jenboo 09:25 AM 03-05-2015
I had one in my daycare room. It's the door the jaggedness used to pick up and drop off and the kids and I used to go outside. I loved all the natural light and the kids loved getting to see outside more.
I have zero con's and I had a wild bunch of boys.
spud912 09:31 AM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I do know in some states licensing requires you to have something on the windows so kids don't run into it... in other words so it is obvious that something is there (who can keep glass clean with kids running around lol)

When I first started 15 years ago, WV allowed me to put window clings on the glass doors at child height (all my kids were 5 or younger)
Same rule here. The kids love the window clings though! Make sure you get them regularly because the clings get moved around/lost/broken.
finsup 09:53 AM 03-05-2015
My playroom has a sliding glass door to the deck. Its been great aside from the finger prints lol. The kids love watching the squirrels/birds etc. I put sun catchers up and the kids really like trying to "get" the rainbows. No one has ever broke it. Now, we do have a window next to it that a child took a toy hammer to and smashed about 2 years ago (yeah that was awful). But I suspect it was a very old window that needed to be replaced. The glass on the door is much thicker, even with the new window put it.
Laurel 11:33 AM 03-05-2015
I had a sliding glass door in my playroom. It was nice but I have vertical blinds on it and chose to keep them all the way open and to one side when the children were there. Otherwise, they'd play with and pull on them, etc.

All in all I liked them. They could see nature up close.

Laurel
NoMoreJuice! 12:19 PM 03-05-2015
Two words: Window Markers!
Kelly 08:36 PM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Two words: Window Markers!
Yes, we love window markers & window crayons!
MarinaVanessa 08:49 PM 03-05-2015
I have a large sliding glass door and I loved using it. depends on the thickness of yours though. If they're pretty thin (older homes) there's a safety film you can buy if you're afraid of someone breaking it and getting hurt. I used to have some before we replaced ours.
Michael 01:02 AM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:
Thinking of doing some re-arranging of rooms in the home for the childcare.

The room I want to use as a playroom has a sliding glass door though.

I am contemplating the difficulty of this. Does anyone have a room that has a sliding glass door.

Pro's ?? Lets in more natural lighting/ Healthy Vit. D for the kids, my current one is kind of dark because the windows are so high up. Easier to get outside transition.

Cons of it ?? Kids trying to run outside more. Chucking a toy at it and breaking it.
Another thread on Sliding Glass doors. Seems they are a pain to keep clean: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36366
Tags:door - sliding glass
Reply Up