Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Excuses!
meganlavonnesmommy 09:28 AM 04-19-2012
Sorry.... your child is not

tired
having an off day
didnt sleep well
doesnt feel good
was up late
didnt eat breakfast
woke up on the wrong side of the bed

They are just a pain in the butt that needs a good ass whopping!

Having a rough week with a new child!
daycare 09:33 AM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:

tired
having an off day
didnt sleep well
doesnt feel good
was up late
didnt eat breakfast

lol sorry that was funny...but in all reality, I have found that its not the kid that needs the "YOU know what", it's the parents....lol sorry don't blast me, just speaking my mind!!!
meganlavonnesmommy 09:35 AM 04-19-2012
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!! Its the parents lack of discipline and load of excuses that are adding to the problem.
We're on day 12 today, not sure how much longer this will last. I'm extremely patient, but "honeymoon" period has passed. It's long enough now to know that the behaviour will not get better.
Ah.... hate drama!
DaisyMamma 09:52 AM 04-19-2012
Absolutely agree 100%
wdmmom 10:05 AM 04-19-2012
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!! Its the parents lack of discipline and load of excuses that are adding to the problem.
We're on day 12 today, not sure how much longer this will last. I'm extremely patient, but "honeymoon" period has passed. It's long enough now to know that the behaviour will not get better.
Ah.... hate drama!
My transition time is 2-4 weeks for any age child. I can usually have a newborn transitioned by week 4. Of course, sometimes it takes a little longer all depending on how young they are when they come.

Sounds like this child is a bit older though?

I would do what Cat has always suggested in the past. Put a sticker on the calendar today. If things aren't better within a couple weeks, term. It's for your own good.

And in the future, maybe you can have a 2-4 week trial period. If you aren't seeing any milestones in the transition process, just tell the parents their child isn't a good fit and part ways.

Good luck!
ILMommy 10:10 AM 04-19-2012
I was just wondering how I was going to respond when my 2 year old dcg gets picked up and I get to tell dad she screamed and threw tantrums the entire day...as usual. And then dad will tell me she's getting a new tooth, she's constipated, she's "only" two... How badly I want to say no, she's a spoiled brat that's never heard the word "no" and the quote you!!
meganlavonnesmommy 10:33 AM 04-19-2012
Yeah, this one is 3 1/2: wont share, takes toys, unlocks and opens door, goes outside, wont pick up toys, wont lay down at naptime (parents requested he must nap), spits, says words that arent allowed in my home (hate, stupid), wont put on shoes when asked, jumping on couch, jumping on table, running in the house.
This is all day long. This morning was an hour long battle over picking up toys. He flat out refused, so he went in time out, 5 times, each time he continued to refuse to pick them up, in the corner screaming and yelling. Finally after an hour, he picked them up (the "toys" were a 1/4 cup of beans that were on the floor from our sensory bucket),

When I called parents to tell them about the day, their excuse was he must be tired. But that cant be the problem, because its 90 minutes into naptime, and he still isnt asleep. I told parent that we had an hour long battle of the wills this morning and the response was "only an hour, hahahaha, that's a good day". Really? If my own kids acted like this I would be livid!

Its all battle of the wills, but I am not willing to put up with the behaviour. Its distracting me from the other kids. I have been unable to do my regular activities (crafts, learning etc) for the last week because I am busy dealing with this ones bad behaviour.

I'm also not getting any time during nap. I usually get 2 hours to cook, clean, answer emails, eat lunch, lesson plan, etc. I havent gotten that this week because I have to sit right next to him at naptime, or he wont stay on his mat, and will wake the other kids up.

I'm so bad at telling parents they have to go because of behaviour. I know I should just say it, but its hard!
ILMommy 11:23 AM 04-19-2012
It IS hard! Last week I gave this family a letter that I wanted her to go from 2 days to 4 days a week because she simply can't adjust to rules and discipline-which in her case is just redirecting to another activity, or I was done caring for her at the end of April. They offered 3 days a week, but had every type of excuse as to why her behavior was so bad for me. No mention of trying to help me work with her. Only reason they don't want to bring her here more is because she "loves her grandma". Well, yeah, and grandma doesn't make her listen any more than mom and dad do! If they don't care enough to give her structure, routine, and discipline to help her in the future, I shouldn't worry so much about it either! I'm done after next week; my other kids (daycare and my own) deserve much more here.
GoodKarma 11:37 AM 04-19-2012

tired
having an off day
didnt sleep well
doesnt feel good
was up late
didnt eat breakfast

You forgot "teething"! and yes I know the child is 3 1/2, but I've heard it!
wdmmom 11:53 AM 04-19-2012
Yeah, this one is 3 1/2: wont share, takes toys, unlocks and opens door, goes outside, wont pick up toys, wont lay down at naptime (parents requested he must nap), spits, says words that arent allowed in my home (hate, stupid), wont put on shoes when asked, jumping on couch, jumping on table, running in the house.
This is all day long. This morning was an hour long battle over picking up toys. He flat out refused, so he went in time out, 5 times, each time he continued to refuse to pick them up, in the corner screaming and yelling. Finally after an hour, he picked them up (the "toys" were a 1/4 cup of beans that were on the floor from our sensory bucket),

When I called parents to tell them about the day, their excuse was he must be tired. But that cant be the problem, because its 90 minutes into naptime, and he still isnt asleep. I told parent that we had an hour long battle of the wills this morning and the response was "only an hour, hahahaha, that's a good day". Really? If my own kids acted like this I would be livid!

Its all battle of the wills, but I am not willing to put up with the behaviour. Its distracting me from the other kids. I have been unable to do my regular activities (crafts, learning etc) for the last week because I am busy dealing with this ones bad behaviour.

I'm also not getting any time during nap. I usually get 2 hours to cook, clean, answer emails, eat lunch, lesson plan, etc. I havent gotten that this week because I have to sit right next to him at naptime, or he wont stay on his mat, and will wake the other kids up.

I'm so bad at telling parents they have to go because of behaviour. I know I should just say it, but its hard!
Based on everything you are saying, talking to the parents is equivalent to stapling jello to a tree. It's just not going to happen and no matter what resources you utilize, it just won't work.

They aren't going to help you, they obviously know their child is a handful but they aren't willing to do any recourse.

My suggestion is this:

If you can afford to, tell the parents today that tomorrow will be your last day. Obviously this child isn't following your policies and isn't going to any time soon.

If you can't afford to term tomorrow, start advertising and keep him on until you find a replacement.
Kaddidle Care 12:19 PM 04-19-2012

tired
having an off day
didnt sleep well
doesnt feel good
was up late
didnt eat breakfast

We had one that punched another child just as Grandad was walking up to pick him up. Grandad said "Oh - he's tired." My response, "Perhaps so but there's NO excuse for hitting." (But I really wanted to hit Grandad and tell him I was tired.)
Tags:behavior, vent
Reply Up