Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Get Asked Everyday About Meals?
Core12 01:12 PM 03-08-2018
I have a parent who Deliberately sticks around at pickup to watch my interactions with others and during that time she lets her 25 month old pull on our new expensive curtains, pull on a chain for our storm door, climb on top of the fireplace, crawl behind the couch, hit the window and basically whatever the hell he wants. During this time he yells loudly, “wah!!!” So at 5:15 I’m tired of hearing him and I can’t wait for some peace and quiet. I feel like my mom or I is constantly saying, “no” and it looks like we are a boring or mean daycare to his mother.
Now, she asks what we ate for lunch and it just bugs me. I don’t want to be social because she is forcing herself upon me. I think she truly cares about her sons wellbeing and I don’t blame her for wanting to know details about the day, however, I want to talk only when I want to talk...is that ok sometimes?!
Btw...this is the same mother who never keeps her son on her days off and the same mother who still can’t follow or understand my “no diaper bag” policy. Now she brings another bag with 2-3 hardback books, boogie wipes, way to many clothes, a jacket, And a coat, bottle and sippy cup. (Yesterday, I just gave her a handful of clothes back at pick up time and said I only needed 2 shirts and a pair of pants)
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.
redmaple 01:20 PM 03-08-2018
Menu emailed out in advance. If parent it still in the daycare after closing then bill for that overtime. If she comes prior to closing, then yes a quick run down of day while getting her child ready to go. Is she hanging around to hear all the other pick up conversations with the other clients? Maybe a note about keeping pick ups quick, to protect privacy of other clients.
CalCare 01:45 PM 03-08-2018
Do you have a place that's secure for the child, where they can do anything they want and it won't be a problem? If so I would say, "Parent, I need you to take Jr to the playroom (or whatever safe place) because this area isn't secure for free play for toddlers and I'm busy doing pick-ups (or diapers or clean up, or whatever) right now. So jr needs to be in a secure free play area." ... Something along those lines.
CalCare 01:46 PM 03-08-2018
Also, I write out a weekly menu Everytime Sunday. Put it next to sign in and change it around during the week as needed. Then it's all there!
Core12 01:52 PM 03-08-2018
Woops
storybookending 01:54 PM 03-08-2018
It sounds like you need to get rid of this mom. If she still isn’t following your no diaper bag policy that is reason enough. I would be physically handing her the diaper bag in the morning before she leaves, not just asking her not to bring it. I interviewed with a mom a few weeks ago for an infant opening I will have coming up and she loved that had such a policy. Less for her to worry about! I don’t get why all parents don’t feel this way about it..

As for the main question we are required to have our menus posted here
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 03-08-2018
Post an update of your day, including snack and meal time menus as well as some basic daily activities. Mom can snap a photo of the info and read it over on her time.

She is stalling so she doesn't have to go home and parent. She's using your time, resources and supervision for free.

This is a HUGE liability.

You need to simply tell her to go.

"DCM, I know you like to hang out and chat at pick up but I just can't accommodate that. There are times in which I need to discuss things with other a parent and when other parents linger at pick up/drop off it eliminates this ability to do so. If you have anything you need to discuss with me or would like to know what Billy's day was like, please e-mail me or text me after you get home."

Or

"DCM, I'd love to hang out and chat during pick up but I am still on the clock. If you need to discuss anything with me or need additional information about our day, you are welcome to set up a time to talk privately when I am not supervising other children. I'm sure you understand."

Then smile big and don't say another word.
Silence IS the loudest response sometimes.
Core12 02:05 PM 03-08-2018
Yesterday, I asked if the Tylenol in the bag was to stay here, she said it wasn’t because she didn’t have anymore. Is that normal to ask to keep medication like Tylenol at the daycare permanently?
Also, boogie wipes? Aren’t those just like wet wipes?
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
Yesterday, I asked if the Tylenol in the bag was to stay here, she said it wasn’t because she didn’t have anymore. Is that normal to ask to keep medication like Tylenol at the daycare permanently?
I don't keep any OTC meds at daycare and do not allow parents to bring it either.

I will not medicate a child nor take a child into care that has been medicated.
storybookending 02:10 PM 03-08-2018
I keep a bottle of pain reliever to admisinter for each child in my care. With this in my state they must have a form on file that gives me permission to administer the medication. It is all in if you want to or not. Some providers have a no medication policy. Tylonel in a bag just sitting around the children could have access to is a big no no. Mine has to be locked up.
hwichlaz 02:54 PM 03-08-2018
It’s at the front entrance
Attached: C668D383-95D9-40E6-A20B-C996B8A8DAE1.jpeg (761.1 KB) 
CalCare 03:57 PM 03-08-2018
Oh my goodness, Tylenol in the diaper bag! No that can't just be sitting there accessible. I don't have or give meds at all, but if I did, I definitely would have to keep it locked up. Also, places that do administer, normally require an unopened bottle. Because who knows what the family put in it, and then YOU are liable.
HappyEverAfter 06:11 PM 03-08-2018
I have a chalkboard by the door that has the days meals written on it.
As for Tylenol, parents can fill out a form authorizing me to give it to their child and they provide me with a bottle that stays here and is locked up. Anytime I have to administer it, I document it and also notify parents.
Jupadia 05:55 AM 03-09-2018
I used to do a menu and then write it on the daily reports for parents that I give out. But I've stoped the menu and only do the reports. I often make extra super or lunch and then use it for the next meal. Not doing the menus allows me more flexbilty during the week as far as cooking goes but parents still have the reports that list not only food but diaper changes, things they did that day, naps, and reminders for supplies needed or fun days.
daycarediva 09:52 AM 03-09-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Do you have a place that's secure for the child, where they can do anything they want and it won't be a problem? If so I would say, "Parent, I need you to take Jr to the playroom (or whatever safe place) because this area isn't secure for free play for toddlers and I'm busy doing pick-ups (or diapers or clean up, or whatever) right now. So jr needs to be in a secure free play area." ... Something along those lines.
THIS. Hand her the child, even if you have to take him by the hand and walk him to mom and give him to her.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Post an update of your day, including snack and meal time menus as well as some basic daily activities. Mom can snap a photo of the info and read it over on her time.

She is stalling so she doesn't have to go home and parent. She's using your time, resources and supervision for free.

This is a HUGE liability.

You need to simply tell her to go.

"DCM, I know you like to hang out and chat at pick up but I just can't accommodate that. There are times in which I need to discuss things with other a parent and when other parents linger at pick up/drop off it eliminates this ability to do so. If you have anything you need to discuss with me or would like to know what Billy's day was like, please e-mail me or text me after you get home."

Or

"DCM, I'd love to hang out and chat during pick up but I am still on the clock. If you need to discuss anything with me or need additional information about our day, you are welcome to set up a time to talk privately when I am not supervising other children. I'm sure you understand."

Then smile big and don't say another word.
Silence IS the loudest response sometimes.
yup. I do a daily update on social media.

Originally Posted by CalCare:
Oh my goodness, Tylenol in the diaper bag! No that can't just be sitting there accessible. I don't have or give meds at all, but if I did, I definitely would have to keep it locked up. Also, places that do administer, normally require an unopened bottle. Because who knows what the family put in it, and then YOU are liable.
HECK NO.

I would be stopping alllll of this. If she didn't get on board, out the door.
Ariana 10:04 AM 03-09-2018
Hand her DCK and say “bye” and walk away! Of course depending on your layout this might be easier said than done. My chikdcare areas are not by the doors and the parents do not come in my house.

I get parents in the beginning ask what was served every day. They want to see if I serve healthy things. As soon as they realize the kids are eating healthier at my house they stop! I used to do a menu but I would still get asked the question so I don’t bother. If a parent wants to know they can ask. Most parents past the first few weeks could not care less!
Pestle 11:26 AM 03-09-2018
I have a parent who Deliberately sticks around at pickup to watch my interactions with others and during that time she lets her 25 month old pull on our new expensive curtains, pull on a chain for our storm door, climb on top of the fireplace, crawl behind the couch, hit the window and basically whatever the hell he wants.
It sounds like you need to draw boundaries. Explain to her that the non-daycare areas of your property need to be reserved for your own family's use, and that timely pick-up--not just on-time, but completed within a reasonable amount of time--is necessary so that you aren't dividing your attention between the children still in your care and the family that's lingering. Signed-out children should not be on the property.

Also explain to her that she is responsible for wear-and-tear to your personal property while her child is under her own supervision, and that it puts you in an awkward position when an adult allows their child to roam your house.

Explain; don't have a back-and-forth dialog about it. Stand your ground. You can do it!
happymom 11:37 AM 03-09-2018
When my kids started at their daycare center I used to look at the menu every day for the first few weeks. Now, I never ever look at it.

I guess it depends on the kid, but talking with my then 3 year old about what he ate at daycare was a good way to get a little insight about his day.

They sent a slip home about how much he ate, but they only include what foods they fed the kids when they are in the infant room =)
lovemykidstoo 06:00 AM 03-10-2018
I only had 1 that would ask every single day and then I started asking at drop off, what did you have for dinner last night, what did you have for breakfast. I think she got the hint lol
Tags:buh-bye outside
Reply Up